• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

OldTimeWinger

Who and What are the Detroit Red Wings?

Rate this topic

So eighth seed teams should just give up unless you're the LA kings? Hockey more than any other sport, all 16 teams have a real shot. Eighth seed go deep all the time and every single extra playoff game makes the young guys that much better. If Larkin played with us last year against Tampa he would be a much better player at this point despite us not making it out of the first round. You start missing the playoffs it changes the environment around the team and guys like Dats probably wouldn't have stuck around

Nowhere did I say 8th seeded teams should give up. I said Cinderellas don't win the Cup, which was refuting Bill's point. But if you wish to set your sails on his turbulent waters, enjoy the voyage.

Nowhere did I say 8th seeded teams should give up. I said Cinderellas don't win the Cup, which was refuting Bill's point. But if you wish to set your sails on his turbulent waters, enjoy the voyage.

Your metaphors cant stop the barrage of good points to bury your argument. Here's another one - playoff revenue. I'm sure Mike I. doesnt mind seeing the playoff games instead of playoff misses.

A team in transition that seriously lacks the entertainment value it once had. Be it in terms of skill or truculense.

It's nice to see the 2 high-end prospects Larkin and Mantha developing but there will be more high end talent needed with Pasha soon gone and Z getting up there in age.

So yeah the best way to describe them would be a team in transition that really could use some use toughness and nobody knows where the transition will lead but the fact is this team has won its last cup almost 7 years ago and isn't close to getting their again so Z, Pasha and Kronner likely won't won't win another cup with this team which is a shame

Edited by frankgrimes

.......but the fact is this team has won its last cup almost 7 years ago and isn't close to getting their again so Z, Pasha and Kronner likely won't won't win another cup with this team which is a shame

You had this team losing to LA on Friday and probably gave them even less of chance last night. Yet here you are again with more of the same.

So hey, why don't you wake me when one of your predictions comes true. K?

I think it's simple, we're looking for our next Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc. player who'll lead the team. That doesn't happen over night when there's 29 teams doing the same thing. Larkin's probably that guy, but he's only 19.

No, Smith and Kindl aren't as bad as many make them out to be, but the defense prospects aren't as good as some make them out to be either. Those that think that any of these kids are going to step right in and be an upgrade every night and never make mistakes, are in for a rude awakening...

We need a major upgrade on the backend for our future d-core. We don't have a single top pairing defensive prospect. We have a s*** ton of top line forwards though...

Edited by krsmith17

Someone with both the pain and pleasure of Stanley Cup experience said: Championships are built from the net out.

Not to long ago, the Wings organizationally made a decision to employ an above average, serviceable goaltender but protect him with one of the best, staunchest defenses in the league. That is not the case today, or in the recent past. In 1996, Lidstrom, Konstantinov and Fetisov; 1997, Lidstrom, Murphy and Fetisov; 2002, Lidstrom and Chelios; 2008, Lidstrom, Rafalski and Stuart.

In comparison, Kronwall, Ericcson, Green, DeKeyser, Smith, Kindl, Marchenko, Quincy, Smith are, I’m sorry, are lightweights. Pinning your hopes on Sproul (8 pts, -5, 14 games), Jensen (2 pts, -5, 14 games), Quellet (5 pts, -4, 14 games)? Not me.

Just like your record, you are what your stats say you are. Our top four D-men at the quarter pole of the season:

Kronwall – 34 yrs, 21 games, 7 pts, -8

Green – 30 yrs, 15 games, 7 pts, -5

DeKeyser – 25 yrs, 17 games, 4 pts, -1

Ericsson – 31 years, 7 games, 4 pts, 0

Career years not in the offing.

It’s my hope DRW management realizes this deficiency and pulls the trigger on a deal that brings a true No. 1, shut down D-man to Detroit to anchor and lead this team. That's the only way they (we) can have a hope of raising the Cup again.

Someone with both the pain and pleasure of Stanley Cup experience said: Championships are built from the net out.

Not to long ago, the Wings organizationally made a decision to employ an above average, serviceable goaltender but protect him with one of the best, staunchest defenses in the league. That is not the case today, or in the recent past. In 1996, Lidstrom, Konstantinov and Fetisov; 1997, Lidstrom, Murphy and Fetisov; 2002, Lidstrom and Chelios; 2008, Lidstrom, Rafalski and Stuart.

In comparison, Kronwall, Ericcson, Green, DeKeyser, Smith, Kindl, Marchenko, Quincy, Smith are, I’m sorry, are lightweights. Pinning your hopes on Sproul (8 pts, -5, 14 games), Jensen (2 pts, -5, 14 games), Quellet (5 pts, -4, 14 games)? Not me.

Just like your record, you are what your stats say you are. Our top four D-men at the quarter pole of the season:

Kronwall – 34 yrs, 21 games, 7 pts, -8

Green – 30 yrs, 15 games, 7 pts, -5

DeKeyser – 25 yrs, 17 games, 4 pts, -1

Ericsson – 31 years, 7 games, 4 pts, 0

Career years not in the offing.

It’s my hope DRW management realizes this deficiency and pulls the trigger on a deal that brings a true No. 1, shut down D-man to Detroit to anchor and lead this team. That's the only way they (we) can have a hope of raising the Cup again.

Not saying you wrong, but in 2015 with a cap this is a very hard if not impossible thing to do. Not many teams are willing to get rid of a legit #1 d-man. That leaves UFA, but they dont make it there. The last time one did (Suter) Holland tried but couldnt compete with his hometown.

Not saying you wrong, but in 2015 with a cap this is a very hard if not impossible thing to do. Not many teams are willing to get rid of a legit #1 d-man. That leaves UFA, but they dont make it there. The last time one did (Suter) Holland tried but couldnt compete with his hometown.

This whole thing is ridiculous:

- can't sign UFAs cause of the ******* cap

- can't trade for top defenders because of the cap and they are a very rare bread

- with the new lottery system even tanking won't be the key to get them

it's like the league wants teams to win solely based on draft luck which is killing the game. The cap is turning the job of being a GM into a nightmare

If an owner is willing to spend he should be able to go out there and pay whatever he deems reasonable

At some point wings will need a top guy to pair him with Danny D. but Kenny will have to work some magic to make it happen.

Wings just have to get really lucky. Like Ekbald refusing to resign with Panthers. Could you imagine? We'd have an amazing core all around the same age. In 2 years...

Nyquist-Larkin-Ladd

Mantha-AA-Abby

Jurco-Z-Pulkinnen

Helm-Glen-Bertuzzi

DD-Ekbald

Kronwall-Green

Ericsson-Marchenko

MRAZEK

Finished that off for you......

:lol:

Who are the Red Wings? A team that's sitting comfortably in playoff position and one who is now consistently playing well, and often beating, some of the better teams in the league. Yep, that's us.

Seems like there's considerable effort being made to make this team out like its worse than it really is. Look around guys and gals. We are a good team. And the best part? We aren't even as good as we are going to be in a month or two.

Wings just have to get really lucky. Like Ekbald refusing to resign with Panthers. Could you imagine? We'd have an amazing core all around the same age. In 2 years...

Nyquist-Larkin-Ladd

Mantha-AA-Abby

Jurco-Z-Pulkinnen

Helm-Glen-Bertuzzi

DD-Ekbald

Kronwall-Green

Ericsson-Marchenko

So in two years time, you keep Erection and let all of Jensen, Sproul and XO get claimed on the waiver? I realize you are just fantasizing, about have Ekblad, but you may want to shed E's salary in order to fit Ekblad in.

DD-Ekblad

Kronwall-Green

XO-Marchy

Jensen

Isn't Ekblad from Michigan?

So in two years time, you keep Erection and let all of Jensen, Sproul and XO get claimed on the waiver? I realize you are just fantasizing, about have Ekblad, but you may want to shed E's salary in order to fit Ekblad in.

DD-Ekblad

Kronwall-Green

XO-Marchy

Jensen

The bottom four didn't really matter to me. Hard to say what are defense will look like in two years, especially when we get Ekblad.... isn't he from Michigan?

Isn't Ekblad from Michigan?

The bottom four didn't really matter to me. Hard to say what are defense will look like in two years, especially when we get Ekblad.... isn't he from Michigan?

He's actually from Belle River which is about 20min away from Windsor out in the county. That is good for Detroit though if he ever becomes a UFA, you can drive from Joe Louis to his childhood home in less then an hour (if the border doesn't suck).

http://windsorstar.com/sports/belle-rivers-aaron-ekblad-brings-calder-trophy-home

Edited by kliq

DD-Ekblad

Kronwall-Green

XO-marchy

Jensen

where would sproul be?