• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Opie

Franzen to LTIR

Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything new from this situation?

Is he going to attempt again, or is he done for good? I guess as long as he is not taking a roster spot or his cap is not hurting the team, it doesn't matter, but just curious if we have had any updates....

He said he wouldn't play again if he had another concussion.

I don't think he suffered another concussion and it was just a recurrence of the symptoms from his previous damage. But if he's still been out I can't imagine what's on his mind other than waiting it out and trying it one more time.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Still Dealing with Post-Concussion Syndrome - Family Blog

From his wife's blog, sounds like the ol noggin is still really effecting him and his family

I read this yesterday, hit me right in the feels.  Silver lining is he's in the right place now to give him the help he needs.  Very sad for a genuinely good hearted and fun loving guy to have to deal with this, sounds like him and his family have some very rough days.  Get better Mule

This was my biggest worry when he made his last comeback, hopefully he gets better and can put this behind him.

I also hope that reading stuff like this may be an eye opener for those who continue to bash Franzen for his "soft play" as there is no doubt in my mind that concussions were the main reason for his decline.

So preventable Anyone else remember when Gary Roberts just randomly punched him in the head in the finals because it was known at the time that Franzen had a concussion history.

6 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

What concussion # was this?

Honestly it didn't look too bad - although if the Mule had a few concussions prior to this hit - then yeah something like this could cause another.

On the record - Roberts easily ranks in my top 5 NHL'ers that I liked/respected that never wore the Winged Wheel.

I'm not sure what number that was, I'm not sure if we have an actual number he sustained while playing.  Franzen wasn't a rough player as we know, but he definitely played in the rough areas of the game so I'm sure he had a few in the beginning that went undetected.  I like Roberts too, but theres no need for things like this in the game on a guy who everyone knows is suffering from concussions.  At this point his brain had the strength of an eggshell

Edited by 13dangledangle

47 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

I'm not sure what number that was, I'm not sure if we have an actual number he sustained while playing.  Franzen wasn't a rough player as we know, but he definitely played in the rough areas of the game so I'm sure he had a few in the beginning that went undetected.  I like Roberts too, but theres no need for things like this in the game on a guy who everyone knows is suffering from concussions.  At this point his brain had the strength of an eggshell

Actually, that was 2008, before his problem was really bad. The thing that made the punch so dirty is it was his first game back after a concussion. 

I’m still amazed at how the doctors even cleared him to play those last few times. Each concussion issue he was having was getting progressively worse and keeping him out longer with side effects lasting longer. Before his final comeback I remember he said he couldn’t pick up or play with his kids for months. But then he was eventually cleared to play again. 

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, kliq said:

I also hope that reading stuff like this may be an eye opener for those who continue to bash Franzen for his "soft play" as there is no doubt in my mind that concussions were the main reason for his decline.

No. Franzen was a lazy floater. CTE had nothing to do with it. He never would have been better than Hossa even with a healthy brain. He is and always will be a Bumb. Yzerman clearly didn't know him at all when he gave the "Mule" nickname. He clearly didn't know what hard work was.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

I’m still amazed at how the doctors even cleared him to play those last few times. Each concussion issue he was having was getting progressively worse and keeping him out longer with side effects lasting longer. Before his final comeback I remember he said he couldn’t pick up or play with his kids for months. But then he was eventually cleared to play again.

Ya I remember that as well, he really struggled before that comeback. It was only a matter of time.

1 minute ago, kliq said:

Ya I remember that as well, he really struggled before that comeback. It was only a matter of time.

Would love to know the thought process of the physicians involved in his care of allowing him to play. Unfortunately we may never know unless this turns into another lawsuit down the road. 

4 hours ago, F.Michael said:

What concussion # was this?

Honestly it didn't look too bad - although if the Mule had a few concussions prior to this hit - then yeah something like this could cause another.

On the record - Roberts easily ranks in my top 5 NHL'ers that I liked/respected that never wore the Winged Wheel.

Until I saw the video - I totally forgot that he was a Pen for a few seasons late in his career.

It doesnt look bad from an "impact" standpoint, but look what he actually did. He skates by a guy who does not have the puck AND has a concussion history, and punches him in the temple. it really doesn't get more deliberate and mean spirited then that.

I used to love Gary Roberts and the grit he showed as a player, but that was crossing the line IMO. You can't even argue that he was trying to just make a clean hit and hit him in the wrong spot with the wrong body part, he went for the temple 100% on purpose.

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

Would love to know the thought process of the physicians involved in his care of allowing him to play. Unfortunately we may never know unless this turns into another lawsuit down the road. 

1. Long term contract. Team had too much money invested for too long. I am sure the doctor(s) was/were being pressured by the team to clear him to play.

2. Franzen really was a "Mule". He wanted to play, to earn his contract. He  could have just stayed home and collected a paycheck, but he was never that kind of player, even tho ignorance says otherwise. I am sure that he also pushed them to clear him to play.

3. Leftwinger wanted Hossa. They probably just wanted Franzen to play so that they wouldn't have to hear about it for the next 10 years+.

4.The understanding of CTE has come along way since then. I don't think he would be playing if that happened today.