• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bill Berzeench

Larkin for ...

Rate this topic

Wow that's a new galaxy of overhyping a prospect. I'm a huge huge Larkin fan and I think him or Danny D are going to be the next captain of this team. That being said the guy is playing his first season in the NHL and no sane GM would ever trade one of - not even talking about the best player in the world - for him.

Really Frank? This coming from the person who calls Buffalo "The Buffalo Eichel's" and talk him and McDavid up any chance he gets?

Was having a convo with my dad and asked him if he'd trade Larkin for Crosby. He said "hell no, Crosby's old." I cant say I disagree with him at this point. Who would you trade Larkin for straight up right now?

Not saying I would trade him for Crosby, but since when is a 28 year old in his prime "old".

Its tough to move a kid with so much potential, but I guess I would trade him for a young #1 d-man, or a young stud like a Tyler Seguin. I dont feel like going through a list.

Really Frank? This coming from the person who calls Buffalo "The Buffalo Eichel's" and talk him and McDavid up any chance he gets?

Watch highlights from Eichel, McDavid and tell me again they are overhyped. Buffalo doesn't have a guy like Z, Pasha leading the way Eichel is by far their best selling jersey and already the most popular player on the team, same goes for Edmonton with McDavid although they have Hall, RNH, Nurse and maybe a new upcoming powerforward in LD.

We are not talking about trading him for prospects here some of the lists are including the best of the best in this league and yes for a guy like Toews, Stamkos.... I don't even need to think twice about it (not that it would ever happen mind you). Better question would be would I trade him for his REALISTIC value no I wouldn't because the rest of the league wouldn't give up what the Wings need and secondly if he continues to develop on his insane speed he will ease the pain when Pasha is gone a bit.

Not trading larkin for anybody at this point, if hes producing the way he is now imagine in 2-3 yrs how good he can be ...he'll be one of the next wave of wings players to lead the way

He's also 19 where as some of the names I saw being mentioned like Tavares,toews etc ... Are 7-8 yrs older ... If we're lucky we got Dylan for the next 20 yrs

Watch highlights from Eichel, McDavid and tell me again they are overhyped. Buffalo doesn't have a guy like Z, Pasha leading the way Eichel is by far their best selling jersey and already the most popular player on the team, same goes for Edmonton with McDavid although they have Hall, RNH, Nurse and maybe a new upcoming powerforward in LD.

We are not talking about trading him for prospects here some of the lists are including the best of the best in this league and yes for a guy like Toews, Stamkos.... I don't even need to think twice about it (not that it would ever happen mind you). Better question would be would I trade him for his REALISTIC value no I wouldn't because the rest of the league wouldn't give up what the Wings need and secondly if he continues to develop on his insane speed he will ease the pain when Pasha is gone a bit.

Frank, I am not saying that Eichel or McDavid are not good. You are criticizing people for overhyping Larkin and I am pointing out your hypocrisy when you do the exact same thing but to a stronger degree with Eichel or McDavid. I'm sorry, but Larkin has shown more this year then either of those two, and I can say the exact same thing to you, that you said to me "Watch highlights from Larkin and tell me again he is overhyped". I also find it funny that you make your strong judgements on players from just watching highlights. I would rather watch them for a full 60min. Plus, you were saying things like "Eichel & McDavid are generational playesr" before they even played their first NHL game.

I wouldnt trade Larkin for Stamkos, giving up our future for a rental would be an extremely dumb move.

I'm guessing you are just doing your whole "I don't want to be disappointed, I would rather be positively surprised thing" with Larkin.

Frank, I am not saying that Eichel or McDavid are not good. You are criticizing people for overhyping Larkin and I am pointing out your hypocrisy when you do the exact same thing but to a stronger degree with Eichel or McDavid. I'm sorry, but Larkin has shown more this year then either of those two, and I can say the exact same thing to you, that you said to me "Watch highlights from Larkin and tell me again he is overhyped". I also find it funny that you make your strong judgements on players from just watching highlights. I would rather watch them for a full 60min. Plus, you were saying things like "Eichel & McDavid are generational playesr" before they even played their first NHL game.

I wouldnt trade Larkin for Stamkos, giving up our future for a rental would be an extremely dumb move.

I'm guessing you are just doing your whole "I don't want to be disappointed, I would rather be positively surprised thing" with Larkin.

remember the Mantha situatuon? Before last season a lot of people were ready to give him a top line spot then he broke his foot , struggled a bit in the AHL and some were ready to deal him.

The term generational talents is not my own doing it's been used by professional scouts, gms and even coaches to describe those 2. I mean the last time this league saw such a huge tank battle was back in 2006 when Crosby was the big price.

So far Larkin has exceeded all my expectations and that feeling is great but I also know he is only 18 and will struggle at some point which is fine, in the long run he will be an awesome addition. that being said there are lot of players I'd trade him for, him being a Michigan kid would make it even harder but still got someone like Toews, Ekblad you bet.

My bad should have said for a signed Stamkos...there is not one rental in this league I'd be willing to deal Larkin or Mantha for.

remember the Mantha situatuon? Before last season a lot of people were ready to give him a top line spot then he broke his foot , struggled a bit in the AHL and some were ready to deal him.

The term generational talents is not my own doing it's been used by professional scouts, gms and even coaches to describe those 2. I mean the last time this league saw such a huge tank battle was back in 2006 when Crosby was the big price.

So far Larkin has exceeded all my expectations and that feeling is great but I also know he is only 18 and will struggle at some point which is fine, in the long run he will be an awesome addition. that being said there are lot of players I'd trade him for, him being a Michigan kid would make it even harder but still got someone like Toews, Ekblad you bet.

My bad should have said for a signed Stamkos...there is not one rental in this league I'd be willing to deal Larkin or Mantha for.

The Mantha and Larkin situations are not even remotely the same. Larkin is already proving himself an exceptional NHLer.

Larkin has all the tools to become a player as good as Toews, but is only 19. Getting Toews would make us better short term sure. But not in the long run.

Toews is exactly what I want Larkin to be, I feel like he'll be better though, to me Toews is the best two way player in the league. f*** Patrice and the bawwwstin bwooons

I want Larkin to be better offensively than Toews.

But i don't expect it, if he becomes a 60-70pt selke caliber defensive forward I'll be ecstatic.

But I want him to be a 90-110 pt selke caliber center.

That would make me happy.

But i don't expect it, if he becomes a 60-70pt selke caliber defensive forward I'll be ecstatic.

Yes already on pace for 61 points in his rookie year. So its possible. I see him topping out around 80-90 though

I cant even compare the two. Mantha was an CHL'er who hadn't even played a NHL game yet. In that case, I get it. Larkin has played in 23 NHL games and has 17 points. My point, is to put him in the same conversation with McDavid and Eichel IMO is not something that ridicoulas. He has outperformed both of them this year and deserves to be treated with the same respect.

Edited by kliq

he'll be 70-90 in prime playing with prime goose and tats and Mantha and Svech holy s***

110 pts a year is GONE. 80 is the new 110.

I agree jimmy. The biggest thing for me is that this is not some hot shot kid that has come into the league and put up points solely on skill, he definitely has the skill, but he also has a calm demeanor, almost veteran like, and that is an extremely rare quality to find in a 19 year old. Future captain material for sure.

He has as good a shot as anyone to win the Calder at this point, but if Panarin keeps up his pace, he will likely win it. But there's no question in my mind that Larkin is and will be the better player, as Panarin has 5 years on Larkin...

As for the question of whether or not I'd trade him and for who? It may seem foolish but I think Larkin is one of those truly untouchables right now. Like most young kids, he is worth way more to us now and in the future than any possible trade scenario.

Everyone says how much we need that top pairing defenseman, well I think just as important as that, we need a future number one center to replace Pav and Hank when they retire / decline. Larkin is that. Again, it may seem foolish, but I'm not even sure I'd trade him for an Ekblad type defenseman straight up. I think Dylan is going to be THAT good... I don't think 70-80 points, Selke candidate is out of the question at all, and the way goal scoring is trending, that would be amazing!

Edited by krsmith17

If I'm trading away a franchise forward I think I'm looking to get a franchise defenseman in return, as that's an area of need for this team. Parayko might be worth looking into. He's had an amazing season so far (5 goals, 7 assists, +10 in 21 games), is absolutely huge (6'5" 226lbs) and shoots right.

Ekblad?

Larkin has all the tools to become a player as good as Toews, but is only 19. Getting Toews would make us better short term sure. But not in the long run.

Not that it would ever happen, that guy will retire in Chicago but Toews would instantly the best player on the team and improve the changes of winning a cup in the Z, Pasha era tremendously. If Larkin even turns out to be a Toews lite that would be fantastic. If Crosby and Stamkos keep struggling this year (which I think they won't), he should honestly be in the discussion for the best player in the world. Elite defensively, tremendous leadership, the bigger the game the better he plays...man if Larkin could be something like that in his prime wow. I don't care who is "on pace" for what or how many shots someone has... I'd also be very happy if he turns out to be a very solid top 6 center

I cant even compare the two. Mantha was an CHL'er who hadn't even played a NHL game yet. In that case, I get it. Larkin has played in 23 NHL games and has 17 points. My point, is to put him in the same conversation with McDavid and Eichel IMO is not something that ridicoulas. He has outperformed both of them this year and deserves to be treated with the same respect.

The hype for Mantha last year was equal (before the season) and after he struggled - which is to be expected when coming back from a serious injury - the same people who hyped where ready to move on from him. And sadly I could see the same reaction happening again if Larkin has (which will happen) a bit of a rough stretch at some point this season. Well look at whom Eichel is playing with, I really don't know how much more perfect he needs to pass so his linemates can finally convert their chances. In terms of McDavid well he is hurt now so tough to say but there is no question Larkin so far! deserves to be in the calder conversation.

As for the question of whether or not I'd trade him and for who? It may seem foolish but I think Larkin is one of those truly untouchables right now. Like most young kids, he is worth way more to us now and in the future than any possible trade scenario.

Everyone says how much we need that top pairing defenseman, well I think just as important as that, we need a future number one center to replace Pav and Hank when they retire / decline. Larkin is that. Again, it may seem foolish, but I'm not even sure I'd trade him for an Ekblad type defenseman straight up. I think Dylan is going to be THAT good... I don't think 70-80 points, Selke candidate is out of the question at all, and the way goal scoring is trending, that would be amazing!

The bolded part is the whole point, no GM would give up any of the names mentioned in this thread for Larkin and his realistic value is that he is worth way more to the Wings than the (realistic) return would be, so it's a no brainer.

The number 1 center vs number 1 defenseman is like the chicken and egg theory both are needed and are incredible hard to find. But yes the Wings will need a future top 6 center because Pasha will be gone soon and Z is aging.

The Wings have 4 potential top line forwards in Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Svechnikov. They have 0 potential top pair D. Deal what you have for what you need. I believe Larkin will be good, but being elite isn't a guarantee, and he wouldn't be the first guy who had a fantastic rookie year then fell off the map for whatever reason.