• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bill Berzeench

Larkin for ...

Rate this topic

Not that it would ever happen, that guy will retire in Chicago but Toews would instantly the best player on the team and improve the changes of winning a cup in the Z, Pasha era tremendously. If Larkin even turns out to be a Toews lite that would be fantastic. If Crosby and Stamkos keep struggling this year (which I think they won't), he should honestly be in the discussion for the best player in the world. Elite defensively, tremendous leadership, the bigger the game the better he plays...man if Larkin could be something like that in his prime wow. I don't care who is "on pace" for what or how many shots someone has... I'd also be very happy if he turns out to be a very solid top 6 center

What makes Larkin so exciting is that he seems to be more likely to become that type of player than to not. Even Wings management seems to think Larkin will 'become the Wings Toews'. Bob MacKenzie commented on that on TSN Radio a while back. Throwing around names like Toews and Price when it comes to the potential of Larkin and Mrazek.

I do agree that in miracle land if Toews became a Wing he would instantly be the team's best player. But when it comes to Larkin vs Toews, what about 5 years from now? IMO that's what it comes down to if it came down to choosing between the two. Toews is a no brainer in the short term, of course.

Dickie, I agree, but out of those 4 players, Larkin is the guy you shouldn't part with. It would take a lot to get a top 2 defenseman, but we have the pieces to get it done. Larkin, should not be on the table of trade pieces though.

I could see Larkin turning into a Fedorov light. Selke caliber two-way play with 30-40 goal offense. He has ridiculous talent, but he also has the work ethic and hunger to allow him to max his potential.

I've seen too many kids who fans insisted were untouchable, then a couple years later the kid's good but not close to what the fans insisted he WAS going to be to say any kid is untouchable. If I was GM and could get Ekblad, OEL, Doughty, or some other young established #1 D for him I wouldn't hesitate.

Like I said, I'd definitely have to consider it for an Ekblad type defenseman but even then, I'd be hesitant. Awesome, we got our number one defenseman locked up, now only if we had a number one center... Oh yeah, we just traded him away...

Don't confuse this kid for anything us fans have gushed over in the past, because it's not even close to the same. We literally have not had a 19 year old kid come in and dominate the way Larkin has, since a guy named Steve Yzerman did it back in '83.

Combine Larkin's skill level, hockey IQ, compete level and determination, there is nothing that is going to slow him down, other than a serious injury of course. And the same could be said if we somehow acquired Ekblad from Florida.

Like I said, I'd definitely have to consider it for an Ekblad type defenseman but even then, I'd be hesitant. Awesome, we got our number one defenseman locked up, now only if we had a number one center... Oh yeah, we just traded him away...

Don't confuse this kid for anything us fans have gushed over in the past, because it's not even close to the same. We literally have not had a 19 year old kid come in and dominate the way Larkin has, since a guy named Steve Yzerman did it back in '83.

Combine Larkin's skill level, hockey IQ, compete level and determination, there is nothing that is going to slow him down, other than a serious injury of course. And the same could be said if we somehow acquired Ekblad from Florida.

I'm only going to quote this one, but the post you made in response to me earlier in the thread was spot on dude.

The only thing is we seem to be able to develop forwards amazingly well, especially compared to developing defenseman. So I think we have a better chance at developing someone into a number one c, than we do a number one d. That's the only reason Id consider trading Larkin for someone like OEL or ekblad, which I'd still be hesitant to do, and i doubt Florida or az would do it anyway.

But we really didnt do much development with Larkin, he did it all on his own, which is what makes it so special. We don't pick high enough to get players of his calibur, and when we do they're damaged goods in some aspects.(compete level, or another skill that's not at a high level) that we have to teach them.

Larkin's a very, very special player.

I said it last year when he was tearing up the ncaa, He's our next captain.

And the potential of having our captains and assistant captains all from Michigan in the future is so damn cool.

Does anyone know if we Would be the first team to have all our captains from the teams home state?

C-Dylan Larkin

A-Justin Abbreviator

A-Danny Dekeyser

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

The Wings have 4 potential top line forwards in Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Svechnikov. They have 0 potential top pair D. Deal what you have for what you need. I believe Larkin will be good, but being elite isn't a guarantee, and he wouldn't be the first guy who had a fantastic rookie year then fell off the map for whatever reason.

I'm dealing any one of those three before I'm dealing Larkin.

The Wings have 4 potential top line forwards in Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Svechnikov. They have 0 potential top pair D. Deal what you have for what you need. I believe Larkin will be good, but being elite isn't a guarantee, and he wouldn't be the first guy who had a fantastic rookie year then fell off the map for whatever reason.

True ... But Larkin has been praised by a lot of people before the start of the year as the potential steal of the draft unlike some guys like Jim Carey/Barrett jack an who had good rookie seasons who came out of nowhere and later dissapeared (those are the 2 who come to mind )

It's also true we don't have top d men prospects , but a lot of them take longer to develop so let's hope a sproul becomes one of them .... That being said I personally think ridding ourselves of kindl/smith right now and having marchenko/ouellet instead would make us better

Also think with Tatar/nyquist and possibly pulkkinen and jurco if he turns it around (think he still can) as potential top 6 guys I'd might trade nyquist in a package for someone like roman josi

I'm only going to quote this one, but the post you made in response to me earlier in the thread was spot on dude.

The only thing is we seem to be able to develop forwards amazingly well, especially compared to developing defenseman. So I think we have a better chance at developing someone into a number one c, than we do a number one d. That's the only reason Id consider trading Larkin for someone like OEL or ekblad, which I'd still be hesitant to do, and i doubt Florida or az would do it anyway.

But we really didnt do much development with Larkin, he did it all on his own, which is what makes it so special. We don't pick high enough to get players of his calibur, and when we do they're damaged goods in some aspects.(compete level, or another skill that's not at a high level) that we have to teach them.

Larkin's a very, very special player.

I said it last year when he was tearing up the ncaa, He's our next captain.

And the potential of having our captains and assistant captains all from Michigan in the future is so damn cool.

Does anyone know if we Would be the first team to have all our captains from the teams home state?

C-Dylan Larkin

A-Justin Abbreviator

A-Danny Dekeyser

Wow that would be incredible cool I think we'd be the second team, since the Habs had that French only captains and A's policy some years ago.

But yeah Larkin is very special but Ekblad is probably the most untouchable Panther right now, guy has future Norris winner written all over him. Like I said there is no way I'd be dealing Larkin for a realistic return right now, neither would I trade Mantha. But with the exception of Danny D. some package will be needed to get that top pairing guy even if it means dealing one of Goose, Tatar, AA..

True ... But Larkin has been praised by a lot of people before the start of the year as the potential steal of the draft unlike some guys like Jim Carey/Barrett jack an who had good rookie seasons who came out of nowhere and later dissapeared (those are the 2 who come to mind )

It's also true we don't have top d men prospects , but a lot of them take longer to develop so let's hope a sproul becomes one of them .... That being said I personally think ridding ourselves of kindl/smith right now and having marchenko/ouellet instead would make us better

Also think with Tatar/nyquist and possibly pulkkinen and jurco if he turns it around (think he still can) as potential top 6 guys I'd might trade nyquist in a package for someone like roman josi

And lots of players have been praised early on then never hit their ceiling.

AA has top line potential and can play center as well. Forwards are also a lot easier to find than defensemen.

Obviously, I'd rather trade AA or Mantha (especially Mantha) than Larkin, but of for whatever unlikely reason a guy like Ekblad or OEL comes available and Larkin is the only one they want, I think you have to do it.

And lots of players have been praised early on then never hit their ceiling.

AA has top line potential and can play center as well. Forwards are also a lot easier to find than defensemen.

Obviously, I'd rather trade AA or Mantha (especially Mantha) than Larkin, but of for whatever unlikely reason a guy like Ekblad or OEL comes available and Larkin is the only one they want, I think you have to do it.

I personally wouldn't if it meant Larkin ... Stupid or not think the fact that he's a Michigan boy is just icing on the cake ... Yes it's still early but Larkin looks like he can be a future captain of the wings , local boy and has toews 2.0 with more offensive skill and skating ... Don't think we'd give him up for anything at this point

being realistic ekblad and oel are cornerstone players and aren't going anywhere unless it's as a ufa , so like you said very unlikely

We're gonna have to draft the next top dman out hope to find one who didn't filly develop yet on a team and make a trade and hope he becomes a star with the wings (like chara became after islanders dealt him)

I think we should try and get in the hamonic deal , he won't come here but maybe we could get In a 3 way deal with nyi and Winnipeg/Calgary and get someone like byfuglien/Myers/trouba or Brodie ... Depending on the price

I personally wouldn't if it meant Larkin ... Stupid or not think the fact that he's a Michigan boy is just icing on the cake ... Yes it's still early but Larkin looks like he can be a future captain of the wings , local boy and has toews 2.0 with more offensive skill and skating ... Don't think we'd give him up for anything at this point

being realistic ekblad and oel are cornerstone players and aren't going anywhere unless it's as a ufa , so like you said very unlikely

We're gonna have to draft the next top dman out hope to find one who didn't filly develop yet on a team and make a trade and hope he becomes a star with the wings (like chara became after islanders dealt him)

I think we should try and get in the hamonic deal , he won't come here but maybe we could get In a 3 way deal with nyi and Winnipeg/Calgary and get someone like byfuglien/Myers/trouba or Brodie ... Depending on the price

I think Trouba is (sadly for us), in the same category as Ekblad which means untouchable. Myers would be awesome but the Jets just traded for him they aren't dumbing a potential Chara light. Why are people saying Toews has no offensive skills? The guy scores when it matters and has an eye for his linemates that's plenty of offensive ability.

Hamonic is not going to happen, he wants to go to a western Canadian team the Oilers should be all over it for the right price of course.

Thanks to salary cap getting a number one defender has become almost impossible. Too bad Giordano re-signed with the Flames would have been a nice addition.

Anyhow if Larkin keeps developing at his insane pace he will provide us with a lot of joy for at least a decade.

I think Trouba is (sadly for us), in the same category as Ekblad which means untouchable. Myers would be awesome but the Jets just traded for him they aren't dumbing a potential Chara light. Why are people saying Toews has no offensive skills? The guy scores when it matters and has an eye for his linemates that's plenty of offensive ability.

Hamonic is not going to happen, he wants to go to a western Canadian team the Oilers should be all over it for the right price of course.

Thanks to salary cap getting a number one defender has become almost impossible. Too bad Giordano re-signed with the Flames would have been a nice addition.

Anyhow if Larkin keeps developing at his insane pace he will provide us with a lot of joy for at least a decade.

Thing is jets won't be able to afford to keep trouba Myers hamonic and byfuglien

I'd be just as happy if we were involved in the 3 way deal and ended up with byfuglien ... If we decide to resign him or let him go at the end of the year would depend how he would play here

And since he's a ufa and we'd be one of 3 teams in the trade scenario I wouldn't think it would be a huge price if the jets got hamonic .... Maybe if we sent them local boy helm(think he'd fit in nice there on the 3rd line ) 2nd rounder maybe and a kindl/smith or mid prospect like Jensen it could be done

We should make some type of move now (doesn't have to be huge deal) while pavel and hank are here

Thing is jets won't be able to afford to keep trouba Myers hamonic and byfuglien

I'd be just as happy if we were involved in the 3 way deal and ended up with byfuglien ... If we decide to resign him or let him go at the end of the year would depend how he would play here

And since he's a ufa and we'd be one of 3 teams in the trade scenario I wouldn't think it would be a huge price if the jets got hamonic .... Maybe if we sent them local boy helm(think he'd fit in nice there on the 3rd line ) 2nd rounder maybe and a kindl/smith or mid prospect like Jensen it could be done

We should make some type of move now (doesn't have to be huge deal) while pavel and hank are here

I like where your head is at.

But who's the top 4 defenceman we're giving up to NYI? They've made it clear that's what they want in return.

Unfortunately it doesn't make a lot of sense. Each team giving up a top 4 is going to expect one in return and no team is going to give up two of them.

But who's the top 4 defenceman we're giving up to NYI? They've made it clear that's what they want in return.

Unfortunately it doesn't make a lot of sense. Each team giving up a top 4 is going to expect one in return and no team is going to give up two of them.

To Winnipeg: Hamonic, Red Wings 1st in 2016

To New York: Smith, Winnepeg 2nd in 2016

To Detroit: Byfuglien

Unfortunately islanders are screwed cause teams know hamonic want out ... In the words of the Rolling Stones ... You can't always get what you want

Whether it happens or not i think at the end of the day they'd be happy to get this 1st d rated prospect josh morrisey in a package deal ...they can get Hamilton off the flames, but doesn't sound good that the flames are willing to trade him after just signing him(he's not what they expected him to be)

What blows me away (and sorry to derail the thread but this is just crazy) is that Larkin is +14 on 18 points, with only one point on the powerplay (so +14 from 17 points). That's 3 goals against on the year while Larkin is on the ice. That is absolutely staggering, especially when stacked up against what his line (and he himself) produces. And thinking back, I struggle to recall the moments when Larkin's line was in the defensive zone for any amount of time. This kid has tilted the ice in a way that I don't think we have seen in quite a few years.