• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nyquistfan14

Marchenko

Rate this topic

I'd never make that trade. I'm still very high on Mantha but it's not that I think Mantha should be off limits, just no way I trade him for Byfuglien on an expiring contract. And the only thing that would be worse than making that trade for Byfuglien on an expiring contract would be signing Byfuglien to a 5 X $6M contract. I've said it before but Byfuglien is a pretty good offensive defenseman now, but I see him falling off hard over the next year or two. The guy has never been in great shape, so I can't imagine him changing that a whole lot as he gets into his mid 30's. A similar deal for Trouba though? Hell yes!

I'd never make that trade. I'm still very high on Mantha but it's not that I think Mantha should be off limits, just no way I trade him for Byfuglien on an expiring contract. And the only thing that would be worse than making that trade for Byfuglien on an expiring contract would be signing Byfuglien to a 5 X $6M contract. I've said it before but Byfuglien is a pretty good offensive defenseman now, but I see him falling off hard over the next year or two. The guy has never been in great shape, so I can't imagine him changing that a whole lot as he gets into his mid 30's. A similar deal for Trouba though? Hell yes!

Byfuglien is gonna end up signing one of those contracts that will look god awful in 2 years time come July 1st. I am curious to see which team gets suckered into it.

So when Q comes back, would you go with Q-Smith/Kindl or Q-Marchenko?

I do think that Marchenko has earned his spot, but due to having too many D we would likely need a trade to keep him. Otherwise we would have to waive Smith or Kindl who both have a year left on their contracts. That would likely lead to a buyout. The problem with that is that neither Kindl or Smith have vastly outplayed the other so who do we waive?

I agree about next year with XO and Marchenko, but there's no need to sign a vet #7. We also have Jensen and Sproul who will be out of options. Also, If it's just between Kindl/Smith and some "cheap vet" I'd likely want to keep one of our guys.

Marchenko is waiver eligible. Unless someone else is hurt or there's a trade, he gets sent down.

I'm not sold on Jensen and Sproul as NHL players, even as 7th D.

Edited by DickieDunn

Dickie, have you seen these guys play or are you basing your opinion solely on stats and/or games played at the NHL level?... Sproul and Jensen both definitely have a future in the NHL. Sproul is taking a little longer to develop (which is actually a good thing) for an offensive defenseman, but he has top 4 potential for sure. Outside of Sproul, I think the guy with the highest potential is Jensen. He's like Ouellet in that he's not "great" at any one particular thing, but he's really good at everything. I think Jensen is better than Ouellet and his skating ability is second to none. I'd rank our d as NHL readiness - Marchenko, Ouellet / Jensen, Sproul, Russo. I'd rank our d as NHL potential - Sproul, Jensen, Ouellet, Russo, Marchenko...

Jensen is absolutely good enough to be in the NHL, and I think if given the opportunity he would take one of the bottom pairing spots right now from one of Smith, Kindl, Marchenko...

Marchenko is one of our best D without the puck in our zone. If you watch him away from the play he is all over his man and his responsibilities. Doing all of the little things right. Once he settles in the offence may come along a bit.

Nicely put. I've seen it to. It may come along, time will tell. A long time. For reference, DeKeyser is just starting with a little little bit of offense. But very strict with getting back to his position asap, double speed.

Expect similar time frame for Marchenko if he passes the coaches eye tests.

Dickie, I'll ask you again, do you watch any Griffins games? I'm not saying I know all just because I watch the games, but it would be kind of ridiculous to make such bold statements if you don't even watch the games, don't ya think? What gives you the impression that Jensen is an "average AHL player"? The Griffins have one of the better defensive units in the league and Jensen is one of their best every single night. He's never been a big point producer, but he is a very steady all-around solid defenseman. The elite level skating and high hockey IQ make him a standout player. He can be counted on in any situation and I believe it's only a matter of time before he shows he is capable of the same at the NHL level. Also, Sproul hasn't put it all together yet? No he's not great defensively but he's improved more than any other player in my opinion. He took a huge leap this season and it's showing on the scoresheet.

The only thing I'll agree with you on is that time is running out for all of these guys, in Detroit, not as NHL defensemen... They will all likely make the bigs, but whether or not they'll be Red Wings is another question. Running out of options could in Detroit could mean they'll have to suit up for another NHL team in the future. I just hope Jensen at least gets a look before someone steals him for nothing...

Marchenko seems to have a good sense of the safe play, and also has been doing a good job with keep-ins recently. I think he will be a solid d-man for the Wings for quite some time. If he develops an offensive upside, that's bonus, IMHO. I'm OK with a solid defensive d-man paired with a more offensive minded partner.

Edited by TheXym

Todd Richards was one of GRs best d-men for years, not an NHL player.

I haven't seen much, but I've seen enough. I don't see the strength to handle the NHL players or the skill to make up for not being strong enough.

Sproul not being good defensively at the AHL level means he'd be a complete liability in the NHL.

I'm assuming you're talking about Todd Nelson? If so, I can't speak on that as I've only been following the Griffins closely for the past 5ish years. If you're talking about the strength of Jensen, I'd say his strength is one of his... strengths... He rarely ever gets outmuscled and more often than not comes out of the corner with the puck. Granted, that is at the AHL level, but if I were to say one thing that is similar from the AHL to the NHL, it would probably be the strength of players. The speed is not the same, the skill is certainly not the same, but the strength of players is likely very similar. He can handle anyone in the AHL, so I don't see it being an issue at the NHL level. Anyway, we can agree to disagree of this one, I'm higher on Jensen than any other defense prospect in our system. I think he has all the tools to be a legit NHL defenseman. Hopefully he gets his shot...