• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jacksoni

Our penalty killers, WIIM article

Rate this topic

Wingingitinmotown recently published a read worthy article about our penalty killers, focusing on Glendening, Miller and Helm.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/12/2/9830650/the-glendending-draws-near

I love the grit of our 4th liners but the article is convincing. Given the read, I must agree with the author piyer97.

I'm curious, what do the LGW community think after having browsed that text?

Edit:

Scroll down abit/read the posts after the main short text, there's more.

Edited by Jacksoni

WiiM thinks Glendening is the worst player in the NHL based on analytics, which he's not. Just shows you can't make reasonable judgements based solely on analytics. Another analytic peice a week ago said the wings will miss the playoffs based on their play in the first 22 games. Sometimes analytics go way overboard and are just ridiculous

Edited by joesuffP

Yeah, WiiM has been writing anti-Glendening stuff since he first got on the team, when he scored 12 last year, despite the impact of him against the Lightning...

Shea Weber personally knocked our PK down to 13th in the league, but it's been quite good. It's interesting that this article was written before Miller was injured. This next stretch will essentially answer the question in the article at least relating to Miller's importance on the PK. The first game without Miller was a strong argument against this article. We'll see where it goes from here.

Also, to make the case they're trying to make they would have to show how Miller and Glen's advance stats stack up against other 4th liners and PKers. Showing how they rank in the league at large ignores their usage.

I'm quite happy about how the team's been playing. Keep rolling with what we have, get Pav, Richards, Helm, Jurco, Sheahan going - those are the developments that I feel will make us better.

WiiM thinks Glendening is the worst player in the NHL based on analytics, which he's not. Just shows you can't make reasonable judgements based solely on analytics. Another analytic peice a week ago said the wings will miss the playoffs based on their play in the first 22 games. Sometimes analytics go way overboard and are just ridiculous

Thank you :)

I like Glendening a lot he gets the job done sure he may not be flashy but he gets the job done and thats all I care about. As a plus side he isn't afraid of going to the dirty areas either and doesn't shy away from contact which is rare enough for this team.

Also, to make the case they're trying to make they would have to show how Miller and Glen's advance stats stack up against other 4th liners and PKers. Showing how they rank in the league at large ignores their usage.

Really good point. They have to go with the 4th liner comparisons.

I'd agree that their utter disdain for certain players (mainly Glendening and Miller) is a little off the wall, but to say that they're a trash site is a bit much in my opinion. For the most part, they're fairly knowledgeable Red Wings fans / writers. Sure there are some opinions and viewpoints that I disagree with, but that's no different than any other site out there, including this one...

Anyway, I don't think either Glendening or Miller are half as bad as WiiM make them out to be, but I do think both are replaceable, Miller more so than Glendening. Our penalty kill has dipped to 60% in the two games Miller has been out, but I'm not so sure Miller would have done a whole lot to stop those three Weber blasts in the game against Nashville. And only giving up one last night in five opportunities to a highly potent offensive team like Washington actually isn't all that bad. We'll see how we do for the next month or two while Miller is out, but I do hope we let him walk in the offseason and get some younger, faster legs in the lineup to kill penalties...