• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

TSN: Pascal Dupuis retiring due to medical condition

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/penguins-lw-dupuis-career-over-due-to-blood-clots-1.406107

It was very difficult for me to make this decision to have to step away from the game, Dupuis said in the team release. My wife and four children have always been my first priority, and playing with my condition has become a constant worry for all of us. I want to thank my teammates and the Penguins organization for their unwavering support during this difficult time.

As stupid as it may sound I think it's a sad and smart decision at the same time because he is putting his family and longterm health over his hockey career and by all accounts Dupuis had a very solid one and even won a cup. So hopefully he can now enjoy his post career without health problems and maybe stay involved in some form.

As stupid as it may sound I think it's a sad and smart decision at the same time because he is putting his family and longterm health over his hockey career and by all accounts Dupuis had a very solid one and even won a cup. So hopefully he can now enjoy his post career without health problems and maybe stay involved in some form.

Not stupid at all. No matter how long your playing career is, at some point there is going to be a life afterwards. Better to retire with a shorter career and have a longer life, than the other way around...

Best of luck to him with whatever his future plans are.

Not stupid at all Frank, I agree with everything you said. Sad to hear this, but it could be worse as blood clots are a dangerous thing (see Chris Candido).

Guy is 36 years old.

In the hockey world that's "old".

In the real world that's pretty dam young. And we sometimes forget that.

He's thinking about 50 more healthy years he can live with his family. Not the 3 more seasons he can play.

Smart decision - I wish the best for him.

Now if Franzen would just take a hint.....

I think he has taken it. He's said it in interview that if he gets another major set back that he would retire for sure.

I don't think Franzen is that dumb, he knows his priorities. He knows his health is important to him and his family.

But his situation is a bit different since his concussion won't straight up kill him, it's more like a long term issue that would be nagging.

Dupuis' issue is worse since blood clots can be fatal. A very tricky condition to deal with especially for an athlete. Kid I grew up playing with and played with in college had the same issue that caused him to completely quit hockey - I don't think he's stepped on ice since he was diagnosed (haven't kept in touch with him).. it's been years since then.

Edited by kickazz

If Franzen actually retires, doesn't his contract (or some of it) count against the cap? Wouldn't it be better to pull a Pronger?

He's on LTIR already. I guess when I said "retire" I meant he would quit playing. My point was he did directly say in the WXYZ sit-down interview that if something big happens again like last time, that would be "it" for him.

I should have been clearer.

Edited by kickazz

Guy is 36 years old.

In the hockey world that's "old".

In the real world that's pretty dam young. And we sometimes forget that.

He's thinking about 50 more healthy years he can live with his family. Not the 3 more seasons he can play.

Smart decision - I wish the best for him.

Amen dude.

I don't imagine him not being set up in the pens front office somewhere, so at least hell get to stay close to the team.

All the best.

"frankgrimes"...I had to check....went and watched Talbot's 2 goals in game 7, which one do you think was offside? I must admit that I'm just seeing a real time reply and it's not HD, but neither even looked like close plays at all at the blue line. He carried one across with a team trailing several feet behind him and the other was a dump in from center, which again, didn't even look close.

"frankgrimes"...I had to check....went and watched Talbot's 2 goals in game 7, which one do you think was offside? I must admit that I'm just seeing a real time reply and it's not HD, but neither even looked like close plays at all at the blue line. He carried one across with a team trailing several feet behind him and the other was a dump in from center, which again, didn't even look close.

I think the first one if I remember it correctly. yeah can't find a HD one either