• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

It doesn't seem like they want to call mantha up though, they want him to keep his confidence and he's just getting adjusted to grand rapids, no reason to mess with that.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/12/17/detroit-red-wings-prospects/77488140/

"I thought Anthony played well," Blashill said. "I liked the fact I thought he did a good job skating away from the puck, to get the puck or track back, and I thought he won battles. If Anthony Mantha does those things, he is going to be a real good NHL player in time. He looks an NHL guy with his size and skill set, he just has to continue to grow as a hockey player. I think he is gaining confidence, we have to be very careful to make sure he stays in a position where he can continue to gain confidence."

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Athanasiou played last night and is expected to play again tonight. I'm thinking he'll likely get the call again, although I'd love to see it go to Mantha. He's been one of the best players down there all season. For those that point to his early struggles this season and still wonder which Mantha we're going to get, his game hasn't changed one bit this season, other than him now finally getting some bounces go his way. The kid is playing with a ton of confidence right now, and when he's at the top of his game, he's a very dangerous player. I'd love to see what he can do for a couple games on Datsyuk's wing.

Callahan took another puck to the face in practice yesterday, and will be out for another 4-6 weeks. Sucks for Cally and the Griffins and he's no longer an option to be called up. The only other option would be Nosek and I think he's still a bit of a long shot, especially with Athanasiou and Mantha being available. I haven't been all that impressed with Bertuzzi so far this season and it's not just his point totals either. He hasn't been playing with the same fire we seen from him late last season. Hopefully he overcomes it and gets going soon.

Nosek has been the most consistent pro for the griffs the last couple years, we'll see what we have in him. AA is entering the realm of too good for the AHL

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure last year Noseks first year with the griffins.

Yeah, he had 34 points in 55 then He got that injury from cutting himself with the box cutter and this season he hasn't been scoring too much. I don't know who his line mates have been, or how they've deployed him but maybe he'll thrive under Blashill again, if he plays in place of Andersson.

I hope he tears it up, he played center a lot last year and his years over seas, and he's been playing on the wing. But having another wing/center on the team always seems to come in handy. I thought he was going to and up being a solid 3c with the way he played last year...

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

They have to make a decision in Nosek so it's best to see what they have in him before the end of the year. I see him as Andersons replacement with more skill, although both don't have very much speed. In GR he isn't playing with very good linemates either. No point in bringing in Mantha, let him tear up the AHL some more along with AA.

I mentioned a few days ago that frenchie Oulette should get called up, it's getting time to slowly ease him in, he's ready.

I'm quite ok with letting Nosek come up and sniff the action, hope he gets some decent ice time so we can see whatup with him on the NHL level.

And great run for the Griffins. What a turnaround.

Callahan is out again with another puck to the face. 4 weeks minimum. Too bad, he was just starting to come back into his own again. Mantha, while scoring and assisting, still will not go into the corners. He has the Jimmy Carson syndrome. Not sure it will ever work with the Red Wings.

Tom, you and I are not watching the same games (assuming you're actually watching the games to make such a statement). Mantha is not at all shy about going into the corners and he more often than not, wins the battle and comes away with the puck. He's been playing great, and I would have liked to see him called up. However, I'm okay with him staying down and continuing to dominate in the minors.

I was a little surprised with Nosek being called up but I would like to see him eventually take Andersson's spot in the lineup. I wish he were in tonight, but maybe he'll get a shot on Tuesday...

Tom, you and I are not watching the same games (assuming you're actually watching the games to make such a statement). Mantha is not at all shy about going into the corners and he more often than not, wins the battle and comes away with the puck. He's been playing great, and I would have liked to see him called up. However, I'm okay with him staying down and continuing to dominate in the minors.

I was a little surprised with Nosek being called up but I would like to see him eventually take Andersson's spot in the lineup. I wish he were in tonight, but maybe he'll get a shot on Tuesday...

Ya. People need to watch or at least listen to the Griffins games. mantha has been playing a complete game. In the corners, in the front of the net, back on D, checking etc.... No he will never be McCarty when it comes to physical play. He is however already playing more physical than Sheahan does and has better O.

And why is everyone expecting Mantha to be Cam Neely? I just want him to bury pucks for the Wings. Nyquist hasnt won a board battle since pee wee. But nobody gets hung up on his lack of physicality.

Yup. Snipers/shooters need to be in a shooting position-IE in front of the net somewhere to score.

Ya. People need to watch or at least listen to the Griffins games. mantha has been playing a complete game. In the corners, in the front of the net, back on D, checking etc.... No he will never be McCarty when it comes to physical play. He is however already playing more physical than Sheahan does and has better O.

I'm at almost every game and work some of them also. I know each has his own viewpoint and that is fine. My take is he is going and trying but usually he sits back 5' off the boards and lets his linemate work the board.

Sucks we called up XO and Nosek just to sit in the press box and ruin their Christmas plans. I'd love to see Nosek replace Andersson soon

Yeah. Blash probably just wanted them to practice with the wings since the ahl break from games is a little longer.. they'll get a Christmas break, just not as long of one. And I'm sure they're fine with it. Hopefully they learn a thing or two while they're here.

Sucks we called up XO and Nosek just to sit in the press box and ruin their Christmas plans. I'd love to see Nosek replace Andersson soon

Idk, being called up (at least for Nosek) is probably a huge thing. I'd give up a few Christmas break days off to be called into the NHL hah. Plus they actually get the practice with the squad and see the system which is nice.

Edited by kickazz