• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, lomekian said:

It's pretty simple. The NHL club needs to have a couple solid, experienced AHL d-men it knows it can call up and they will do a stable job for a game here and there without a) being unpredictable in their ability to adjust b) be too freaked out if it goes badly and c) by sent up and down without damaging confidence/form/etc 

Lashoff is a reliable AHL guy and NHL plug who has proven to be a decent pro who has made as much as he can out of his career as a limited undrafted guy. He's proven he can fill in when needed.

You don't want to call up a kid unless they can get a few games on the bounce. For covering day to day knocks, guys like Lashoff are perfect. 

1. Mcilrath 2. Sproul 3. Russo

We don't need Lashoff any longer 

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not in any way saying that Lashoff is "indispensable". I just think we need a leader for those kids, and Lash seems to be a good a candidate as any. I don't care if he's under contract with the Red Wings or Griffins, makes no difference to me. I think Paetsch was a great leader on the back end, but when he left, someone needed to step up as the new leader. So far it's been Lashoff. If they let him walk after this season and sign another vet, like TJ Brennan, great. I just don't want the kids learning "how to be a pro" from Russo or Renouf...

Like I'm saying, you could probably change out the Lash in "Lash seems to be a good a candidate as any" with Mcilrath, Paetsch, Brennan... it doesn't really matter, they'd be a good a candidate as any. Lash is probably the most useless and expendable piece on the Red Wings roster. Kinda surprised by how many people have jumped to his defense. All I am saying is we should probably let go of this piece after this stint. Did yall wanna keep aged-out Cleary on the roster too lol?

38 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Like I'm saying, you could probably change out the Lash in "Lash seems to be a good a candidate as any" with Mcilrath, Paetsch, Brennan... it doesn't really matter, they'd be a good a candidate as any. Lash is probably the most useless and expendable piece on the Red Wings roster. Kinda surprised by how many people have jumped to his defense. All I am saying is we should probably let go of this piece after this stint. Did yall wanna keep aged-out Cleary on the roster too lol?

I'm very confused. I don't think anyone is saying "We Need To Keep Lashoff In Grand Rapids"... I'm certainly not. What exactly are you arguing? Should we have kept Paetsch? I agree that Lashoff is expendable, I just think if we are getting rid of / losing him, we should be replacing him with a very similar player to mentor the kids. In which case, I say, why not keep Lashoff?

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm very confused. I don't think anyone is saying "We Need To Keep Lashoff In Grand Rapids"... I'm certainly not. What exactly are you arguing? Should we have kept Paetsch? I agree that Lashoff is expendable, I just think if we are getting rid of / losing him, we should be replacing him with a very similar player to mentor the kids. In which case, I say, why not keep Lashoff?

I'm saying we don't need any Lashoffs in GR. Mcilrath is only a year and a half younger, has experience in the NHL, and has the experience of being a former first rounder. And Sproul and Russo will both be 25 in less than 6 months. If we want career minor leaguers to mentor our young ones, all three of those guys can do it without wasting a roster spot on Lashoff.

I find it somewhat amusing that you were concerned about a roster spot for Sproul all summer, but have no problem giving one in GR away to a waste of space player like Lashoff. He's no longer useful anymore.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I find it somewhat amusing that you were concerned about a roster spot for Sproul all summer, but have no problem giving one in GR away to a waste of space player like Lashoff. He's no longer useful anymore.

He's a good guy though

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm saying we don't need any Lashoffs in GR. Mcilrath is only a year and a half younger, has experience in the NHL, and has the experience of being a former first rounder. And Sproul and Russo will both be 25 in less than 6 months. If we want career minor leaguers to mentor our young ones, all three of those guys can do it without wasting a roster spot on Lashoff.

There's absolutely no correlation between me wanting Sproul in Detroit and wanting Lashoff, or similar player in Grand Rapids... I don't think having Lashoff in Grand Rapids is necessary, but I don't think it's a detriment either. Maybe McIlrath would be more than capable in leading this young defense core. I have no idea.

What exactly would any of the kids learn from McIlrath? Which team has the nicest press box? How comfortable are the seats on the team bus?  Lashoff played the entire season for the Wings in 2013-14. He knows what its like to make a meaningful contribution to a team at the NHL level. McIlrath has barely had a cup of coffee in the NHL. Lashoff played in 5 playoff games. McIlrath has zero. Lashoff has been there, done that. He knows what its like to wear the Winged Wheel. McIlrath doesn't. Lashoff has played for Blashill, McIlrath hasn't. McIlrath's strengths are his size, strength, and physicality. Not one of the kids plays that way, nor should they. I wouldn't have McIlrath mentor Saarajarvi any more than I would have Witkowski mentor Svech. Lashoff relies more on positioning, fundamentals, the mentality of the position. That's what the kids should be learning. That's why I like him in GR, for now. That's what I base my comments on. 

Anyways, I feel like this has come to a stalemate. Totally fine with that. I am just a noob here so I don't want  to come off as being disrespectful in any way. Some of you guys have been around for a while and know your stuff so I respect your opinions even if I don't agree with them and I hope my posts reflect that. 

12 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

What exactly would any of the kids learn from McIlrath? Which team has the nicest press box? How comfortable are the seats on the team bus?  Lashoff played the entire season for the Wings in 2013-14. He knows what its like to make a meaningful contribution to a team at the NHL level. McIlrath has barely had a cup of coffee in the NHL. Lashoff played in 5 playoff games. McIlrath has zero. Lashoff has been there, done that. He knows what its like to wear the Winged Wheel. McIlrath doesn't. Lashoff has played for Blashill, McIlrath hasn't. McIlrath's strengths are his size, strength, and physicality. Not one of the kids plays that way, nor should they. I wouldn't have McIlrath mentor Saarajarvi any more than I would have Witkowski mentor Svech. Lashoff relies more on positioning, fundamentals, the mentality of the position. That's what the kids should be learning. That's why I like him in GR, for now. That's what I base my comments on. 

Anyways, I feel like this has come to a stalemate. Totally fine with that. I am just a noob here so I don't want  to come off as being disrespectful in any way. Some of you guys have been around for a while and know your stuff so I respect your opinions even if I don't agree with them and I hope my posts reflect that. 

Don't be afraid to post your opinion. Especially if its respectful. As long as you're not trolling or mocking others no one will be mad. Everyone has their own opinionb the boards would be very boring if they didn't. A fresh idea is always welcome. 

3 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

Don't be afraid to post your opinion. Especially if its respectful. As long as you're not trolling or mocking others no one will be mad. Everyone has their own opinionb the boards would be very boring if they didn't. A fresh idea is always welcome. 

Don’t forget to tell him that we fight passive-aggressive with passive-aggressive.

On 13/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We did though, until he went into player development role. Anyone not a prospect on the griffins is useless in the Nhl, which is why they're still in the ahl. Lashoff has nhl experience and knows what its all about, regardless if he was successful or not. 

On 10/13/2017 at 6:04 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In order of the bolded...

No he doesn't.

Lashoff has been there, done nothing.

You decided to focus on Mcilrath, and you make some good points, but I think you missed my point entirely.

"you could probably change out the Lash in 'Lash seems to be a good a candidate as any' with Mcilrath, Paetsch, Brennan... it doesn't really matter, they'd be a good a candidate as any."

My point is not that Mcilrath is a far superior leader, or player, or nicer guy. It's that Lashoff is completely useless to us at this point and we already have players that can fill the very small role he's some how managed to carve out. He was great as a 7th D-man, but now he's just taking up space.

On 10/13/2017 at 6:04 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Don't worry I joined up less than a year ago, so I'm not as thin-skinned and whiney as the old-timer "plastic" clique around here..

21 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Don't worry I joined up less than a year ago, so I'm not as thin-skinned and whiney as the old-timer "plastic" clique around here..

I still dont get why you havent changed your username to something else yet. Like Number93 or something 

35 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If I wanted the number of an over-sized powerscorer that floats away from physicality and defense, I'd go with 39

But Hasek never floated away from physicality, that mfer welcomed it. Just ask Franzen

Edited by kickazz

37 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If I wanted the number of an over-sized powerscorer that floats away from physicality and defense, I'd go with 39

How bout number9teen 

Or change your name to that one guy from ferris buellers day off.