• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

Hope AA is back soon. I'll be at their game in a couple weekends.. would love to see him in the lineup.

Thanks for the analysis of Frk, krsmith. I've actually been meaning to ask you about him, given how many Griffins games you watch. It's nice to see him making so much progress after he looked like he might be not much more than an ECHL/AHL bubble player (going strictly off his playing time and location, not actually watching him play) the last couple seasons.

I've read that he's a tough dude, with good size, and an excellent work ethic. The knocks were his skating and generally being passive in his approach to the game (I.e.waiting for the play to come to him).

I've never heard him describes as lazy, overweight, etc.

I've never really seen an excellent work ethic in terms of what he has showed on the ice, but I have no idea how hard he works off the ice (in practice / weight room). He always seemed disinterested to me, more so prior to this season, but maybe it's mainly what kip suggested with him just waiting for the play to come to him. That is the way most snipers play the game; keep quiet all game until an opportunity presents itself, and then bury it. However, he does seem to be a little more engaged in the play so far this season. It's almost as if something just clicked, and he realized this could be his last chance of getting his career back on track, and with that came massive improvement. I've always seen him as somewhat of a Hudler-lite. The skill is definitely there, whether he puts it all together, is up to him...

So I can't post links from my phone for some reason, but if you look up "Martin Fork Prospects Report" on YouTube you'll hear some interesting thoughts from Holland, Blashill, and Ryan Martin concerning Frk. For what they're worth you can look up George Malik's notes (I know) on Frk. He does an analysis of all the prospects at the development camp and main camp and has consistently noted Frks pensive approach to the game, but undeniable skill and work ethic.

Hope it helps.

Yup, can't wait for the 2018 draft to go after Svechnikov's little brother, then 2020 to see him maybe make the Red Wings... Can't we just give the kid the 'C' now?...

So you want us to tank the 2017/18 season so we can draft him? He will be a top 5 pick if present trends continue........

I really didn't think I needed the " :rolleyes: /sarcasm", but I guess it wasn't completely clear that I was being 100% sarcastic...

Let me try this again... The chances of us drafting Andrei Svechnikov are slim... He may be a young, up and coming stud, but he's 15 years old... I don't believe he's that good to be heralded as our next elite forward 3 years prior to being draft eligible...

Sucks this got moved... Anyways Griffins get back to winning with OT winner from Sproul

General Discussion is intended for the Red Wings and NHL discussion.

This area of the forums specifies in the description "Discussion related to the Red Wings' minor pro hockey clubs: Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL) and Toledo Walleye (ECHL)".

I know you wanted this to remain in General Discussion, but there's structure for a reason for the purpose of keeping things organized. If we make one exception to the rule, all moved threads in the future would be followed by disgruntled debate from the thread creator because we "let that other one stay put" and it would cause a big headache for the mod staff here. Unfortunately this area of the forums isn't nearly as active, but it's where this thread and discussion belongs.

At the Griffins game and 1. These fan designed jerseys are awesome, & 2. Frk took a nasty slash or something to his wrist.. Skated off immediately. If anyone has any update, please share

You'd think with all the money in jersey sales, the NHL would be more like the NBA and have a butt load of different jersey nights... I wouldn't mind it at all

Nothing real serious. He injured his knee in a game against Rockford (I think it was) in early December. He tried to get back into the lineup a couple weeks later, which turned out to be too early, as he tweaked it again. He's been back for 4 games now, in which the Griffs have lost every game, getting shut out in 2 of them. He didn't look good in his first game back, but has looked much better in the last 3 games, despite going pointless in all 4 since his return. Bob Kaser mentioned in one of the games that he is still wearing a knee brace, so he's being cautious about it, but he should have it off after the All-Star break.

Mantha has looked good, although he still lacks consistency from shift to shift / game to game. He can flat out dominate when he wants to, which to me is the most frustrating thing when watching the Griffins games. Like most goal scorers, he's very streaky and always leaves you wanting more...

I honestly think he's been getting down on himself after being way over hyped a year and a half ago as the Red Wings savior, and since then falling down to earth and being passed on the depth chart by both Larkin and Athanasiou... He needs to prove he's mentally tough and push through the adversity though.

I really hope he makes a strong push for the rest of the season and into the playoffs, has a good off-season and great training camp this fall, and makes the Red Wings out of camp. He's been less than stellar in the AHL, but I really think he's the type of player that will thrive in the NHL, alongside the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larkin and company...