• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

He played another great game, and all three goals were nice, especially the first one on the penalty shot, great fake move to the backhand. Two of the others were bombs from the right point, one on the power-play. He almost had his 4th on a nice rush in the 3rd period, but unfortunately he rang it off the iron. It seems like he can dominate games at will, he just needs to want to do it more often. Holland and Martin were at the game last night, so maybe that was the motivation he needed to be on his A game. He just needs to bring it more often...

I really hope he gets called up at some point this season and shows that he is NHL ready..

The Griffins extend their winning streak to 13 games, with a huge come from behind victory against the Stars. Sproul has been playing great, with another 3 point night (1 goal, 2 assists) and 7 points (2 goals, 5 assists) in his past 4 games. I really hope we find a way to keep him on the 23 man roster next season, because there's zero chance he clears if they try to sneak him through waivers...

Damn.

That's awesome.

I was hoping he'd come through, but they're on a tear down there...

If we weren't in the thick of the playoff battles right now, we'd probably have seen him up in place of marchenko for a stretch.

Honestly, with how Ericsson&Marchenko have been playing, I'm kind of shocked they don't send marchy down and call up one of Sproul or Russo.

Has Renouf been playing?

If he has, how has he looked?

Yeah, the team is playing lights out, which is kind of surprising to me considering the players that they're missing.

I've been impressed with Sproul all season, he's played much better in his own end. The offense has always been there, but now the points are finally starting to come. Hopefully it continues.

Renouf has only played two games, and I missed his debut, but seen him play lastnight and he looked solid. Nothing spectacular but decent considering it was just his second pro game, coming up from college. He's been touted as having a very solid two-way game but I didn't notice him at all on the offense, more of a defensive defenseman. But like I said, it was only one game, so he may have not had a great game, or he could be just playing it safe right now. Either way, it definitely takes more than a couple games to get accustomed to the pro game, especially as a defenseman.

Nice to see Tangradi sticking around. Figured he'd help out GR's top-six when he was signed in the summer, but he's done better than I expected. Hope Miele follows suit - a couple of good vets to have around the prospects.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/03/21/red-wings-extend-tangradi-for-two-years/

Edited by Jesusberg

Yeah, the team is playing lights out, which is kind of surprising to me considering the players that they're missing.

I've been impressed with Sproul all season, he's played much better in his own end. The offense has always been there, but now the points are finally starting to come. Hopefully it continues.

Renouf has only played two games, and I missed his debut, but seen him play lastnight and he looked solid. Nothing spectacular but decent considering it was just his second pro game, coming up from college. He's been touted as having a very solid two-way game but I didn't notice him at all on the offense, more of a defensive defenseman. But like I said, it was only one game, so he may have not had a great game, or he could be just playing it safe right now. Either way, it definitely takes more than a couple games to get accustomed to the pro game, especially as a defenseman.

He's got decent size, and with all the little offensive guys we got coming through the system right now so I was more so excited about his physicality and defensive prowess than his offensive acumen, but whatever he becomes is a win...

He didnt cost us anyhing, so were play ing with house money and all that.

What do you thinks going to happen now that sarijaarvi has been assigned to grand rapids.

Do you think he'll get a chance to play, or is that only an option if injuries plague g.r since they've been winning for the last 3 months?

Yeah, for sure, any free agent signing is a good signing. If they make the big club, great, and if they just end up being depth signings for Grand Rapids, that's fine too. I still think Nosek has an outside shot of making the Wings as a bottom sixer, but regardless he was a great signing for the Griffins for the past couple seasons. I put Renouf in the same category, an outside shot at making the Wings some day as a bottom pairing guy, but I see him more as a Lashoff type of depth guy. And I'm completely okay with that, especially with Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen all being waiver eligible next season. I was hoping we'd take a run at Casey Nelson too, another college free agent out of Minnesota State, but he just signed with the Sabres. Oh well, can't sign 'em all...

As for Saarijarvi, I mentioned in another thread that I don't see him making the Griffins this season unless there are some injuries on the back end in Detroit or Grand Rapids. The Griffs have been playing with the ideal lefty-righty combination all season, with Russo, Sproul and Jensen occupying the right side, and I don't see Saarijarvi taking any of them out of the lineup. So unless an injury occurs, I see Vili getting top pair minutes down in Toledo...

Im pretty sure he's just up as an injury replacement. However, with a playoff spot locked, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get a look in one of the final two games of the regular season this weekend. He's not in tonight against the Monsters though.

There's been plenty of "talk" about both Svechnikov and Hicketts joining the Griffins for their Calder Cup run, but I haven't heard anything definitive on when they'll be with the team, not sure if anyone else has heard anything yet?... I hope both get inserted into the lineup immediately, but that may or may not happen after seeing Saarijarvi sent down to Toledo. Unfortunately Turgeon suffered a season ending shoulder injury that required surgery, so we won't see him with the Griffins until next season...

This could be a very talented team that could go on a deep run. I'd like to see something like this...

Bertuzzi - Athanasiou - Mantha

Tangradi - Miele - Callahan

Svechnikov - Nosek - Frk

Hoggan - Aubry - Zengerle

Nastasiuk / Cleary / Campbell

Ouellet - Russo

Paetsch - Sproul

Hicketts - Jensen

Lashoff / Renouf / Saarijarvi

Coreau

McCollum

That lineup does sound nice. I just don't know why he wouldn't join them for the playoff run since his team was eliminated. && They announced today that AA wasn't joining due to a family matter.