• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

All Purpose Grand Rapids Griffins Thread

Rate this topic

I could see lashoff being the next captain more than anyone else honestly, depending on what happens with the rest of the roster. In a perfect world the wings would've ran through the d men down there who will need to be out on waivers and whoever wasn't on the big club or claimed would get it. I could see Jensen taking it too.

I have high hopes for nastasiuk, but if he doesn't make it in the nhl then I could see him getting it soon too.

I feel like Ben Street has been brought in to be Miele's replacement, and from everything I've read, he seems to be a similar style player, and as good or better.

Matt Lorito seems to be another decent pickup as well.

We also added Eddie Pasquale, who is a very good minor league goaltender. I watched him a fair bit over the past few years as he's played with my hometown St. John's IceCaps... I guess it will be between him and Paterson to battle it out to be number 2 behind Coreau, and the other will start in Toledo...

35 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Word. We should probably move on from Brian Lashoff at some point soon so Ville can have a spot.

If they're moving any vets I'd think it would be Renouf before Lashoff, since Lash is one of the alternate captains. They also need to make room for Hronek in the lineup. Our defense is over crowded with mediocre to bad defensemen in the NHL and AHL...

Lashoff is like the perfect depth defenseman. Not good enough for full time NHL duty, but not totally useless, a solid call-up.  Good veteran presence in the minors to play with the kids. He's like a Bizarro-Ericsson. He has the mental acuity of an NHL d-man, but he just lacks the physical skill.

I'd rather call up Mcilrath. Lashoff is a decent placeholder yeah, but it's not like were gonna win games because we called him up over Big Dylan, or Hicketts, or any other guy that's nearly ready for that matter. At least Mcilrath will infuse some knuckle dragging into the lineup while he's up.

At this point in his career Lashoff is a waste of roster space.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'd rather call up Mcilrath. Lashoff is a decent placeholder yeah, but it's not like were gonna win games because we called him up over Big Dylan, or Hicketts, or any other guy that's nearly ready for that matter. At least Mcilrath will infuse some knuckle dragging into the lineup while he's up.

No I'm not saying bring him up to the NHL roster over anybody. I am just saying that I prefer he remain on the Griffins roster. He wears an "A", so he is obviously a good locker room presence. At 27, he is the oldest d-man on the team. He has more NHL games he's played in than everyone else on the Griffins defense combined, including both regular season and playoffs. He brings more veteran experience and would be a much better mentor to kids like Hicketts and Hronek than McIlrath or any other defenseman on the GR roster IMO. I don't see what Big Dylan brings to the Wings roster that they don't already get from Witkowski, he seems redundant to me, so why is he needed? Russo is the same age as Sproul and has only 19 NHL games played. He clearly is not going to be an NHL dman, so why is he needed in GR? Renouf is 23, never played an NHL game ever. Why is he needed? There is wasted roster space in GR, but Lashoff isn't the reason why. Saarajarvi would get the ice time with GR he needs if Renouf or Russo weren't there. The D corp would then be Hicketts, Sproul, Hronek, Lashoff, McIlrath, Saarajarvi, and one of Russo/Renouf-who would be replaced by Cholowski next year. Also I am assuming that someone makes the Wings roster (hopefully) next year and maybe Sproul is gone. Everyone gets the ice time and the Griffins have a good mix of veterans and prospects on D. I just don't think that having your entire defense made up of 24 year olds and younger with virtually no NHL experience is the best way to groom your prospects.

48 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

No I'm not saying bring him up to the NHL roster over anybody. I am just saying that I prefer he remain on the Griffins roster. He wears an "A", so he is obviously a good locker room presence. At 27, he is the oldest d-man on the team. He has more NHL games he's played in than everyone else on the Griffins defense combined, including both regular season and playoffs. He brings more veteran experience and would be a much better mentor to kids like Hicketts and Hronek than McIlrath or any other defenseman on the GR roster IMO. I don't see what Big Dylan brings to the Wings roster that they don't already get from Witkowski, he seems redundant to me, so why is he needed? Russo is the same age as Sproul and has only 19 NHL games played. He clearly is not going to be an NHL dman, so why is he needed in GR? Renouf is 23, never played an NHL game ever. Why is he needed? There is wasted roster space in GR, but Lashoff isn't the reason why. Saarajarvi would get the ice time with GR he needs if Renouf or Russo weren't there. The D corp would then be Hicketts, Sproul, Hronek, Lashoff, McIlrath, Saarajarvi, and one of Russo/Renouf-who would be replaced by Cholowski next year. Also I am assuming that someone makes the Wings roster (hopefully) next year and maybe Sproul is gone. Everyone gets the ice time and the Griffins have a good mix of veterans and prospects on D. I just don't think that having your entire defense made up of 24 year olds and younger with virtually no NHL experience is the best way to groom your prospects.

What exactly is Lashoff going to mentor these kids in? How to be a career minor leaguer? If you answered yes, id simply respond thats what guys like Nathan Paetsch are for. The Red Wings do not need to waste a contract against the contract limit on this guy anymore. The Griffins can do that if they like. At least Sproul, Russo, and Renouf have the potential to be late bloomers. This guys time has come and gone. Mcilrath is 25 and has larger body of NHL expierence than Lash. Give him the oppurtunity to lead. Its time to let Lash move on as soon as his contract is up. We dont need him as a callup anymore. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What exactly is Lashoff going to mentor these kids in? How to be a career minor leaguer? If you answered yes, id simply respond thats what guys like Nathan Paetsch are for. The Red Wings do not need to waste a contract against the contract limit on this guy anymore. The Griffins can do that if they like. At least Sproul, Russo, and Renouf have the potential to be late bloomers. This guys time has come and gone. Mcilrath is 25 and has larger body of NHL expierence than Lash. Give him the oppurtunity to lead. Its time to let Lash move on as soon as his contract is up. We dont need him as a callup anymore. 

You know Paetsch is gone right? Lashoff is basically our new Paetsch, and seems to be a good candidate to fill that role. I agree with Neo, Lashoff seems to be a good mentor for the kids.

13 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You know Paetsch is gone right? Lashoff is basically our new Paetsch, and seems to be a good candidate to fill that role. I agree with Neo, Lashoff seems to be a good mentor for the kids.

Based on what? That he's the oldest and happens to wear an A? If this was Cleary we were talking about, I'd be forced to agree. Cleary had a long and successful NHL career and has been cited to exhaustion as a great leader and lockerroom presence, I'm sure he can teach a lot about being a pro. Lashoff is a career minor leaguer who's played 120 NHL games as a 6 Dman.

I know Paetsch is gone. My point is that the Griffins had him signed him, not the Red Wings. It's the Griffs job to supplement the team with older vets, not the Red Wings. Is there's an useless cog on our roster it's Lashoff. 

45 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Based on what? That he's the oldest and happens to wear an A? If this was Cleary we were talking about, I'd be forced to agree. Cleary had a long and successful NHL career and has been cited to exhaustion as a great leader and lockerroom presence, I'm sure he can teach a lot about being a pro. Lashoff is a career minor leaguer who's played 120 NHL games as a 6 Dman.

I know Paetsch is gone. My point is that the Griffins had him signed him, not the Red Wings. It's the Griffs job to supplement the team with older vets, not the Red Wings. Is there's an useless cog on our roster it's Lashoff. 

Yes, the fact the Nelson felt he was worthy of being one of the captains makes me feel he's a good guy in the locker room. Or do you think Nelson just gave it to him because he's one of the oldest on the team?

Why does it matter if he's signed by the Red Wings or Griffins? He's not on the Red Wings active roster, and probably won't ever play another game in Detroit. So you'd be okay with Lashoff playing in GR if he were signed by the Griffins instead of the Red Wings?

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, the fact the Nelson felt he was worthy of being one of the captains makes me feel he's a good guy in the locker room. Or do you think Nelson just gave it to him because he's one of the oldest on the team?

Why does it matter if he's signed by the Red Wings or Griffins? He's not on the Red Wings active roster, and probably won't ever play another game in Detroit. So you'd be okay with Lashoff playing in GR if he were signed by the Griffins instead of the Red Wings?

Just because he got the A out of that group doesn't mean he's some amazing leader that we need to keep around. Certainly, you don't think Abby or Kronwall are indispensable because of the A's on their chest do you?

I never suggested the Griffins should sign Lashoff. I suggested it's the Griffins job to sign vets to supplement the rest of the team. If the Red Wings are never going to play Lashoff in Detroit again, why sign him again? He should be let go, if the Griffs decide to offer him a contract that's their business.

I feel almost the same way about Mcilrath at this point. His window is nearly shut, and when it does shut he should be cut loose. 

It's pretty simple. The NHL club needs to have a couple solid, experienced AHL d-men it knows it can call up and they will do a stable job for a game here and there without a) being unpredictable in their ability to adjust b) be too freaked out if it goes badly and c) by sent up and down without damaging confidence/form/etc 

Lashoff is a reliable AHL guy and NHL plug who has proven to be a decent pro who has made as much as he can out of his career as a limited undrafted guy. He's proven he can fill in when needed.

You don't want to call up a kid unless they can get a few games on the bounce. For covering day to day knocks, guys like Lashoff are perfect. 

It's pretty simple. The NHL club needs to have a couple solid, experienced AHL d-men it knows it can call up and they will do a stable job for a game here and there without a) being unpredictable in their ability to adjust b) be too freaked out if it goes badly and c) by sent up and down without damaging confidence/form/etc 

Lashoff is a reliable AHL guy and NHL plug who has proven to be a decent pro who has made as much as he can out of his career as a limited undrafted guy. He's proven he can fill in when needed.

You don't want to call up a kid unless they can get a few games on the bounce. For covering day to day knocks, guys like Lashoff are perfect. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Just because he got the A out of that group doesn't mean he's some amazing leader that we need to keep around. Certainly, you don't think Abby or Kronwall are indispensable because of the A's on their chest do you?

I never suggested the Griffins should sign Lashoff. I suggested it's the Griffins job to sign vets to supplement the rest of the team. If the Red Wings are never going to play Lashoff in Detroit again, why sign him again? He should be let go, if the Griffs decide to offer him a contract that's their business.

I feel almost the same way about Mcilrath at this point. His window is nearly shut, and when it does shut he should be cut loose. 

I'm not in any way saying that Lashoff is "indispensable". I just think we need a leader for those kids, and Lash seems to be a good a candidate as any. I don't care if he's under contract with the Red Wings or Griffins, makes no difference to me. I think Paetsch was a great leader on the back end, but when he left, someone needed to step up as the new leader. So far it's been Lashoff. If they let him walk after this season and sign another vet, like TJ Brennan, great. I just don't want the kids learning "how to be a pro" from Russo or Renouf...

On 10/12/2017 at 5:37 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I misread you a little bit and agree with your main point. But to add I belive that bolded one Could help us win games, as in he has the capacity to open something up with a great play. If he can withstand hits good enough to be able to play in the NHL in the first place.

Don't ask me about that cause I have no idea.

Edited by Jacksoni