• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

12/11 GDT : Red Wings at New Jersey Devils, 7:00 EST

Rate this topic

Statistically speaking Howard has been the better goalie than Mrazek in the last 10 games played by the team. I think he's faced more shots and his SV% and GAA has been better. (I'm not positive on this but this is what I last saw). So as much as I want to bully his flop attempt of a save... I really can't. Plus if I did, I would sound like any other blind hater around here who probably didn't watch 90% of the game and just showed up to bash the one goal that got in (which was because we had zero defense) out of the 38 shots faced.

If Howard legitimately sucked this year, I'd be going ham on him just like I do with Smith. But he doesn't suck this year. He's doing well. And Smith is doing fine too - hence you don't hear me complaining anymore.

And yeah I agree, Jimmy needs to stand tall on breakaways and shootouts. His problem is that he goes down too early. When a goalie does down, that puck is going top shelf. Guaranteed. That's exactly what happened with the OT goal.

This is exactly what I like better about Mrazek. He just reads the shooters much better than Jimmy does. He doesn't fall for the deke as easily. He's just a damn smart goalie.

He's not even at his full potential yet, that's the awesome part. Right now, after a third of the season, I'd say he's on par with Jimmy. Which is why this whole tandem thing has been a positive thing. In a year or two, Mrazek could very well be at the level of Price, Lunqvuist, Quick.

Time will tell.

Edited by kickazz

@kickazz

I want to bash on smith.

I want to bash on kindl.

But they've been perfectly good 3rd pairing d men this season.

The only thing is, I think marchenko defense is the reason why we don't notice as much of their mistakes. I think Marchy is a future top four d man in the mold of oduya, or hjalmarsson from Chicago...not too many points, but a damn rock defensively and in transition.

I almost want them to waive one of smith/kindl just to call up sproul, pair him with e(who I think is pretty comparable to marchenko, just bigger and more physical) and tell him to score. Then put Dekeyser with Marchenko on the 3rd pair, and tell him to be a selke caliber 4th forward.

Ha.

Slightly off topic, but still.

And I can't remember for sure, but I think it was McKenzie, said Mrazek could become as good as Carey price is for Montreal. The kids ceiling is that high, for sure, and I pray he becomes that and we still have a decently well rounded team.

As for the sv% and gaa, I was going to post a stat about Mrazeks last 3 games, compared to Howards last 5, but I figured I'd wait until the sample size was a bit larger before I posted it...

But I think you're correct.

Howards just not as good 1on1, but he's still a really damn solid goalie.

I did'nt say Howard played a bad game, and i'm not saying he's a terrible goalie who does'nt keep the team in games,but his weakness one on one is mind boggling. Doesn't he work on it in practice and with the goalie coach? The guy makes enough money. He should be stopping some( at the very least)of the shots on those chances, but most of the time if it's a breakaway or shootout, it's going in.

During the game New Jersey got a too-many men penalty and it was because Tootoo didn't end up going to the bench before another player got back on. Instead he went between the two benches. Mickey kept wondering why he went in between and why not just to the bench.

Here's why: Tootoo tried to throw a hit and miserably failed hah!

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=898686&catid=35

Edited by kickazz

I get why we may have played a more defensive minded game when we were up 2 - 0. Tired team, on the second game of a back to back, but as soon as it became a 2 - 1 game, they needed to put their foot back on the pedal. We're a pretty young team these days. Ride the youngn's a little bit harder during the late second and third periods and push for more goals.

@kickazz

I want to bash on smith.

I want to bash on kindl.

But they've been perfectly good 3rd pairing d men this season.

The only thing is, I think marchenko defense is the reason why we don't notice as much of their mistakes. I think Marchy is a future top four d man in the mold of oduya, or hjalmarsson from Chicago...not too many points, but a damn rock defensively and in transition.

I almost want them to waive one of smith/kindl just to call up sproul, pair him with e(who I think is pretty comparable to marchenko, just bigger and more physical) and tell him to score. Then put Dekeyser with Marchenko on the 3rd pair, and tell him to be a selke caliber 4th forward.

Ha.

Slightly off topic, but still.

And I can't remember for sure, but I think it was McKenzie, said Mrazek could become as good as Carey price is for Montreal. The kids ceiling is that high, for sure, and I pray he becomes that and we still have a decently well rounded team.

As for the sv% and gaa, I was going to post a stat about Mrazeks last 3 games, compared to Howards last 5, but I figured I'd wait until the sample size was a bit larger before I posted it...

But I think you're correct.

Howards just not as good 1on1, but he's still a really damn solid goalie.

Marchenko is -4 with 1 assist in 23 games. I like the kid, but let's hold off on the Norris Trophy talk for now. I have a feeling he will be in GR when Quincey returns.

Marchenko is -4 with 1 assist in 23 games. I like the kid, but let's hold off on the Norris Trophy talk for now. I have a feeling he will be in GR when Quincey returns.

What he said was

"The only thing is, I think marchenko defense is the reason why we don't notice as much of their mistakes. I think Marchy is a future top four d man in the mold of oduya, or hjalmarsson from Chicago...not too many points, but a damn rock defensively and in transition."

Did you even read what he wrote? He was emphasizing his defense.

During the game New Jersey got a too-many men penalty and it was because Tootoo didn't end up going to the bench before another player got back on. Instead he went between the two benches. Mickey kept wondering why he went in between and why not just to the bench.

Here's why: Tootoo tried to throw a hit and miserably failed hah!

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=898686&catid=35

Sheahan must have some training as a bullfighter: Flash the red, let him charge, and then deftly step out of the way.

What he said was

"The only thing is, I think marchenko defense is the reason why we don't notice as much of their mistakes. I think Marchy is a future top four d man in the mold of oduya, or hjalmarsson from Chicago...not too many points, but a damn rock defensively and in transition."

Did you even read what he wrote? He was emphasizing his defense.

And I'm emphasizing 4 points a year isnt going to cut it for an NHL defenseman, no matter how good his defense is.

And I'm emphasizing 4 points a year isnt going to cut it for an NHL defenseman, no matter how good his defense is.

You not only misinterpreted Jimmemery's post but it looks like you missed out on a lot of what was said in it.

I'm just going to keep it simple since that works better for you.

1. You're wrong.

2. Here's why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Oduya

2 time Stanley cup winner that scores around 10 points in a season and 5 points last playoffs with a -4 rating.

Oh and he's actually a good DEFENDER. Something defenseman are supposed to do. DEFENDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

I cannot have laid that post out any more simple.

Edited by kickazz

And if that doesn't convince you then these guys actually did a case by case analysis (8 specific plays broken down in one game) of why he's a good defensemen for the NHL.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/12/11/9828802/what-makes-detroit-red-wings-alexey-marchenko-so-good

Forewarning - it's not an easy read.

Edited by kickazz

Oduya is on his 5th NHL team in 6 years. If he's so special, why does he keep getting dumped? Bad comparison, unless you dont want Marchenko to stay with the Wings. So that argument is debunked. Now onto the Marchenko article - I will agree that he's a good decision maker and makes the correct play in the defensive zone most of the time. And you need guys who play this way. The problem with Marchy isnt his head. It's his feet. His skating is inferior. He needs to get quicker so he can be better in transition. Great decisions, and a real good set of hands. Like the article says, his first pass / breakout pass is excellent. But his lack of speed will keep him out of the lineup once Quincey returns. Speed kills in Hockey. Marchenko doesnt have it YET.

Oduya didnt get resigned along with Sharp, etc. because Chicago had cap issues. You should really do some research before you spew out opinion.

Also Oduya is a two time cup winner. Your original premise stated that defenders who cant score cant make it in the NHL and I proved you giving you the example of Oduya.

Now you've decided to flip and diverge away from gour original premise and are now claiming it as a bad example to Marchenko because Oduya has been on 5 NHL teams.

That had nothing to do with you're original point claiming that defenders who can't score wont make it on the NHL. We weren't discussing whether or not Marchenko will be on 5 or 6 teams. We are discussing whether he's an NHL caliber defender.

So stick to the point instead of straying away from it.

Edited by kickazz