• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmyemeryhunter

Penguins Fire Head Coach Mike Johnston

Rate this topic

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/penguins-fire-mike-johnston-sullivan-takes-35732759

I knew it would eventually happen if Crosby kept struggling, but didn't think it would happen so soon.

Also, there were talks about a major disagreement with Rutherford over Johnstons handling of sprong, which I'm assuming was a big part of the decision.

I hope Sullivan keeps the team spinning the wheels, watching them be so mediocre made me happy.

Wait, I thought the Penguins were supposed to win at least 12 Cups after 09? Thats what I heard anyway. Nothing makes me smile more right now in the hockey world is to see this team fail to win Cups....them and the Wild.

Actually, I remember Pens and Wings fans back then saying how these two teams were going to be trading Cups for about the next 10 years. Not exactly...

Has either team even gotten past the second round since those '09 finals? I know Detroit hasn't. I don't think Pittsburgh has either, but I could be wrong.

Its pretty shocking to see the lineup, and see them struggling offensively, yet doing seemingly fine defensively.

Is it the defense or goaltending? I don't honestly think I've seen a single Pens game this year, but Flower typically plays well/exceptional in the regular season.

Is it the defense or goaltending? I don't honestly think I've seen a single Pens game this year, but Flower typically plays well/exceptional in the regular season.

I unfortunately game online with 4 die hard Pens fans (I'm the minority of the group) and they all have said Fleury has been pretty excellent for what he is facing game to game.

I personally feel like Hornqvist should be seeing top 6 minutes, he's like Holmstrom junior the way he is willing to be in front of goalies and has some decent skill, not on the same level as Homer, but a somewhat similar player that can cause traffic and get some tips up front, especially when the likes of a player like Perron, who typically is a strong forward is struggling so much.

Defense.

They went and got kessel instead of finding a steady blue liner, when they needed at least two. They expected a rookie to be in the top four immediately, and the rest of the top four is all injury prone.

Fleurys a solid goalie, he just seems to lose confidence really fast in the playoffs.

There offense looks stacked, especially compared to that d. A goalie can only do so Much(unless your name is Carey Price, apparently.) I don't know the numbers now, but at one point they were doing a decent enough job defensively, but struggling to score.

I unfortunately game online with 4 die hard Pens fans (I'm the minority of the group) and they all have said Fleury has been pretty excellent for what he is facing game to game.

I personally feel like Hornqvist should be seeing top 6 minutes, he's like Holmstrom junior the way he is willing to be in front of goalies and has some decent skill, not on the same level as Homer, but a somewhat similar player that can cause traffic and get some tips up front, especially when the likes of a player like Perron, who typically is a strong forward is struggling so much.

Yeah, needing to score more goals you'd think they'd be playing the guy that scored 30 goals on the Nashville predators when they were offensively starved.

That's probably one of the reasons Johnston was fired.

Actually, I remember Pens and Wings fans back then saying how these two teams were going to be trading Cups for about the next 10 years. Not exactly...

Has either team even gotten past the second round since those '09 finals? I know Detroit hasn't. I don't think Pittsburgh has either, but I could be wrong.

The Penguins got to the Conference finals against Boston. Would have been either 2011 or 2013. They got swept.

I posted a stat lately how the Pens have lost more significant man games to injury than any other team since 2009. Comparatively, teams like the Hawks and Kings are among the leaders in fewest man games lost since that time.

Edited by GMRwings1983

With all the talent on that team underachieving, something had to change. I mean, Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Kunitz, and Perron in your top 6, there shouldn't be this many struggles.

I'm still shocked by their start sure plenty of time to turn it around but man so much firepower upfront then Maata, Letang and Fleury jon the backend this team should be so much better it's not even funny. I wonder if they'll give Carlyle a phone call after the season guy would be the exact opposite of what they neeed

Heres an article on Pens problems...

Apparently its hard to give your bud the boot when hes owners BFF.

Look who's still running the power play. That would be Rick Tocchet. He still has a job.

Johnston doesn't. Neither does the only assistant he was allowed to hire, Gary Agnew.

Tocchet oversees a power play Rutherford believes is like these Penguins (“underachieving”), yet he still is around.

“I really like how he communicates,” Rutherford said.

The guess here is it's not Tocchet's communication skills but with whom Tocchet can communicate.

Tocchet's advantage for keeping his job is obvious: He's a “Friend of Mario.”

Heres an article on Pens problems...

Apparently its hard to give your bud the boot when hes owners BFF.

Look who's still running the power play. That would be Rick Tocchet. He still has a job.

Johnston doesn't. Neither does the only assistant he was allowed to hire, Gary Agnew.

Tocchet oversees a power play Rutherford believes is like these Penguins (“underachieving”), yet he still is around.

“I really like how he communicates,” Rutherford said.

The guess here is it's not Tocchet's communication skills but with whom Tocchet can communicate.

Tocchet's advantage for keeping his job is obvious: He's a “Friend of Mario.”

So... why don't they just make him the head coach?

I must admit that I was surprised when he was hired in the first place. I know their previous coach came out of nowhere and took them all the way to a cup, but I would have thought they would go after a high profile guy at that point in time with the team.

I must admit that I was surprised when he was hired in the first place. I know their previous coach came out of nowhere and took them all the way to a cup, but I would have thought they would go after a high profile guy at that point in time with the team.

Rutherford and Johnston to me are the most surprising hirings in the past (aside from the Tortarella to Columbus one) of course. People were always saying give Jim a real budget and he could build a winner so far I haven't seen that his hiring of Johnston wasn't great and despite the Kessel trade he hasn't done much at all to restock their talent pool. I mean was Ray Shero really that bad? Yeah he kept Bylsma around too long and was quick to ditch first round picks but I still believe he is a better GM than Rutherford.

Still can't believe the Pens didn't try to get Babcock. So much firepower and only 27 in goals scored that's unacceptable for such a high flying offensive team. I honestly believe if Sullivan can't get them into a playoff spot things might get ugly in the offseason.

Edited by frankgrimes