• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jimbobogie

Naming The New Arena Suggestion

Rate this topic

Leftwinger....just curious, where are you getting the $6B in profit figure a year for Delta? Aren't they more like $500M - $1B? Not even in the ballpark of $6B. They did have $10B a couple years ago, but that was due to a $8B tax benefit (just accounting - they released an allowance on tax losses)

I've also always been partial to The Delta Centre.

I know there used to be a Delta Center in Salt Lake, but that has since been long gone and that was way back when Delta Airlines had 1.75 feet in the grave. Now, since the merger and the work ethic and philosophy's of Northwest Airlines employees and leaders have turned Delta into a $6B a year in profits airline, plus being by far one of the largest company's in the Detroit area, it would be a great idea to bring the name back. Especially if Ilitch goes the corporate route with naming.

The Cadillac Centre (Named for the founder of Detroit, not just the car, although if it was just the car, that would be ok too!)

The Delta Centre

The Ilitch Centre for Entertainment Arena (The ICE Arena)

Those are my three idea's and I really like them. Wonder how long until we hear an official word of its name...

The Utah Jazz used to play in the Delta Center. Not sure why they'd create a new arena with an old name, and add the idiotic Canadian spelling to it.

The Utah Jazz used to play in the Delta Center. Not sure why they'd create a new arena with an old name, and add the idiotic Canadian spelling to it.

If you referring to "center" thats not canadian spelling, its real english spelling :D

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/11524/whats-the-difference-between-center-and-centre

Originally, everyone spelled it centre, but because of Noah Webster's spelling reforms, people in the US started spelling it center, particularly in the last century. Although the revised spelling center has been adopted internationally to varying extents, centre is still more popular in most regions. But regardless of how you spell it, it's the same word, so it has the same meaning either way.

What about the way "defenceman" is incorrectly spelled in hockey? Whose fault is that?

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/11524/whats-the-difference-between-center-and-centre

Originally, everyone spelled it centre, but because of Noah Webster's spelling reforms, people in the US started spelling it center, particularly in the last century. Although the revised spelling center has been adopted internationally to varying extents, centre is still more popular in most regions. But regardless of how you spell it, it's the same word, so it has the same meaning either way.

Interesting. But I still don't see that being used frequently (if anywhere) in a US arena.

Leftwinger....just curious, where are you getting the $6B in profit figure a year for Delta? Aren't they more like $500M - $1B? Not even in the ballpark of $6B. They did have $10B a couple years ago, but that was due to a $8B tax benefit (just accounting - they released an allowance on tax losses)

not to turn this into a discussion about Delta, but I will answer your question. I know the figure because I work there and have for 25+ years with NWA/Delta. I also get a huge, no wait, HUGE profit sharing check that gets bigger and bigger every year. This year alone, for only working 40 hours per week it moves well into the 5 digits. Our wages are top amongst our piers, right now there isn't much going wrong with them. They own their own refinery, so they pay very little in fuel costs...last we topped $4.5B in pure profits, this year $6B. Stock will hit $60 this year and won't look back...I am sure a plateau or downfall is coming, as it does in all companies, hopefully I can enjoy the fruits of my (hard) labor for awhile before that happens though!

that is why I'd like to see Delta Centre (idiotic?) as a name...a little pride in the name! (plus we already get discounted tickets, maybe the discounts will be more! :lol: )

Edited by LeftWinger