• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

12/29 GDT : Detroit Red Wings at Winnipeg Jets, 8:00 EST

Rate this topic

i think the richards signing is a bust. the guy is playing second line. should be third at best. taking away spots from nyquist and tatar. and if one of them was 2nd line jurco would be third line and he might not be terrible

Well the Richards line and the Kid line are really 2a and 2b, can't say Richards is second line and Tatar and goose are 3rd line.... And the reality is we have 3 second lines, one with Richards and helm though so really a 1st liner weighed down by 2 3rd liners.

Obviously the last few games have been frustrating to watch, but I'm not as convinced as the rest of this board that the lines are the problem here. Could the lines be improved? Sure. But paring everything Blashill does to merely putting numbers with numbers seems remarkably oversimplified to me. Whoever's on the ice needs to be making plays, and that comes from the system and the execution far more than it does the pairings. The coach isn't paid to put people with people; he's paid to install a system and ensure the highest possible execution therein. Blaming everything on who is playing with who just doesn't make sense in that context.

Take Datsyuk, for example. Datsyuk with Helm makes sense to me. Helm's speed can open up the ice for D to make a play. But Datsyuk with Z also makes sense. So does Datsyuk with Larkin, or with Abby. But you can only pick two. so whoever ends up playing with Datsyuk, that group needs to come up with plays. It's not a question of finding some magical chemistry that can be a silver bullet to all of our problems. It's a question of avoiding simple errors - giveaways, missed passes, all the things that still seem to be plaguing this team - and playing the system with smarts and speed.

Some of it breaks down to understanding the concept of consistency. We seem to have this notion on here, as fans, that players at the NHL level are immune to ups and downs in their game. Some people on the boards think Smith is a useless bonehead who does nothing but make stupid errors. Others note that he has been one of our best D-men in the last few weeks. I don't view those observations as exclusive of one another. Smith can be our best defenseman one night, and our worst the next. And that's not even a bad thing - that's now athletic competition works. Sometimes our scoring is going to come from the Top 6. When it doesn't, the third and fourth lines or the defense needs to contribute. Sometimes our goalie is going to post a shutout. When he doesn't, the offense needs to step it up.

Teams with real depth don't rely on consistency to win games. They rely on knowing that someone, somewhere, is going to step up and make a play when they have to. And that person isn't always going to be the same every time.

So to me, when this team struggles, it's not a question of shuffling our players around so that our best players on any given night are in the Top 6. For one thing, there's no way of knowing who will perform the best on any given night. And even if Blashill did know, we'd have to have a line swap every night to accommodate that type of system. When we struggle, it's usually because we fail at the basics - smart defensive play, turnovers, offsides, winning the faceoffs, etc. Those things don't improve just because you swap around some numbers on a white board.

Am I saying I'm happy with the lines? I'm not sure. But I don't get paid to think about those things - Blashill does. And I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know better than one of the best minds in hockey. Every single NHL coach knows far more about these things than I do or anyone else on these boards does, so barging into the forums saying if only Blash would put X with Y or bump up so-and-so or demote that-one-guy everything would change...it just strikes me as childish and ill-informed. We can do better.

I love my Red wings but I think the streak made us feel and look better then we are...

We had that great streak but after our last 20 games we are now 10-10. Yes we picked up a lot of loser points and thankfully they still exist but we are playing .500 hockey, we masked all those loses with the loser point, it is as simple as that.

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar will start together next game mark my words. They'll be a major 🔑 Going forward. They looked dynamic together

Do what you must with the rest. Nyquist doesn't deserve a promotion but maybe it will spark him. Ideally I want Helm on the fourth because that's where he has played his best hockey this season

They lost?? 4-1, Howard pulled allowing 4 goals on 14 shots, powerplay sucked, beaten by a rookie backup. Wow. I dunno what to do about the scoring issue, but Howard needs to sit. He's allowed 7 goals in his past two games on what, 20 shots? Stick with Mrazek and go from there.

Just caught the score ... damn, we're bad. I almost wish we were consistently bad so I wouldn't have high expectations. It's a huge letdown when we win a few in a row followed by a few losts in a row. Can someone pm me when they start on their winning streak?

Obviously the last few games have been frustrating to watch, but I'm not as convinced as the rest of this board that the lines are the problem here. Could the lines be improved? Sure. But paring everything Blashill does to merely putting numbers with numbers seems remarkably oversimplified to me. Whoever's on the ice needs to be making plays, and that comes from the system and the execution far more than it does the pairings. The coach isn't paid to put people with people; he's paid to install a system and ensure the highest possible execution therein. Blaming everything on who is playing with who just doesn't make sense in that context.

Take Datsyuk, for example. Datsyuk with Helm makes sense to me. Helm's speed can open up the ice for D to make a play. But Datsyuk with Z also makes sense. So does Datsyuk with Larkin, or with Abby. But you can only pick two. so whoever ends up playing with Datsyuk, that group needs to come up with plays. It's not a question of finding some magical chemistry that can be a silver bullet to all of our problems. It's a question of avoiding simple errors - giveaways, missed passes, all the things that still seem to be plaguing this team - and playing the system with smarts and speed.

Some of it breaks down to understanding the concept of consistency. We seem to have this notion on here, as fans, that players at the NHL level are immune to ups and downs in their game. Some people on the boards think Smith is a useless bonehead who does nothing but make stupid errors. Others note that he has been one of our best D-men in the last few weeks. I don't view those observations as exclusive of one another. Smith can be our best defenseman one night, and our worst the next. And that's not even a bad thing - that's now athletic competition works. Sometimes our scoring is going to come from the Top 6. When it doesn't, the third and fourth lines or the defense needs to contribute. Sometimes our goalie is going to post a shutout. When he doesn't, the offense needs to step it up.

Teams with real depth don't rely on consistency to win games. They rely on knowing that someone, somewhere, is going to step up and make a play when they have to. And that person isn't always going to be the same every time.

So to me, when this team struggles, it's not a question of shuffling our players around so that our best players on any given night are in the Top 6. For one thing, there's no way of knowing who will perform the best on any given night. And even if Blashill did know, we'd have to have a line swap every night to accommodate that type of system. When we struggle, it's usually because we fail at the basics - smart defensive play, turnovers, offsides, winning the faceoffs, etc. Those things don't improve just because you swap around some numbers on a white board.

Am I saying I'm happy with the lines? I'm not sure. But I don't get paid to think about those things - Blashill does. And I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know better than one of the best minds in hockey. Every single NHL coach knows far more about these things than I do or anyone else on these boards does, so barging into the forums saying if only Blash would put X with Y or bump up so-and-so or demote that-one-guy everything would change...it just strikes me as childish and ill-informed. We can do better.

Oh you just stop with that reason and measured thinking around here. It's all knee-jerking and sky is falling here at LGW. Get with the program!

;)

Good post.