• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

e_prime

Forward Line Combos/Discussion

Rate this topic

So we've got a Goalie Thread and a Defensemen Thread.

Here's a place to consolidate discussions on what our forward issues are.

Personally, I think Blash should shake things up on the first and second lines just a bit.

Nothing earth-shattering, but I STILL think getting Datsyuk going is key.

Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Larkin

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Richards

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Helm - Glendening - Nosek

or

Datsyuk with Zetterberg and Abdelkader

Nyquist - Richards - Larkin

Paging blueadams.

Invoking the spirit of...

Larkin - Datsyuk - Richards

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Abdelkader

Tatar - Nosek - Jurco

Helm - Sheahan - Glendening

That works too. Just get Helm away from Datsyuk.

I haven't seen enough of Nosek to bump him up to the third and while I understand the whys of having Sheahan on the fourth... I think it does him a disservice. ...but until Miller is back, I get it.

I don't know.

Just force Datsyuk and Zetterberg together till they start scoring again.

Everytime they were out there they made better plays with each other than when they played with other line mates.

Even the one goal we got last night was from Datsyuk off a Zetterberg no look pass.

Im thinking.

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Tatar - Richards - Nyquist

Jurco - Sheahan - Larkin

Helm - Glendenning- Nosek

Just go back to basics. D with Z, Richards center Tatar and Nyquist, Larkin can make Sheahan and Jurco much better. Helm down to 4th.

Either that or go with

Larkin - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Rest of them.

Edited by kickazz

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader

Datsyuk-Sheahan-Tatar

Larkin-Richards-Jurco

Helm-Glendening-Nosek

Sheahan has been playing some really great hockey lately and is used to the down low, hard area work. He opens space for Nyquist and Tatar now so let him open some for Datsyuk. Maybe Nyquist and Z together will get both of them going. 4th like can grind down low the whole game and has the speed and skill to wear down the opponents. The third line I have no idea if it will work.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader

Datsyuk-Sheahan-Tatar

Larkin-Richards-Jurco

Helm-Glendening-Nosek

Sheahan has been playing some really great hockey lately and is used to the down low, hard area work. He opens space for Nyquist and Tatar now so let him open some for Datsyuk. Maybe Nyquist and Z together will get both of them going. 4th like can grind down low the whole game and has the speed and skill to wear down the opponents. The third line I have no idea if it will work.

I don't mind trying those lines at all, especially if we aren't willing to call anyone up. If I was my choice I would go with

Nyquist - Z- Abs

Larkin - Datsyuk - Tatar

Richards - AA - Jurco

Helm - Sheahan - Glendening

It does a disservice to Sheahan who admittedly has played beyond a 4th line level, but I loved what AA showed while he was here and I want to see him play.

It does a disservice to Sheahan who admittedly has played beyond a 4th line level, but I loved what AA showed while he was here and I want to see him play.

...but he's still injured that's why Nosek is on the roster.

It'd be nice to slot in injured guys. If that were the case, I'd have included Franzen in my line combos.

Some of our issues may be the combos but a bigger piece is the age of a few guys and the lack of front of net players. Z Dat and Richards are playing like guys in the late 30's, which is what they are. Add in datsyuk's late start coming back from surgery and it shouldn't be a surprise that he is off to a slow start offensively. Watching Z last night there were shifts were he looked like a guy going on 70 not 40.

The bigger issue is we have 0 forwards that can play effectively in front of the net. Bigger F's that screen the goalie, tip in deflections and gather up the rebounds. To say nothing about guys that wear out the other teams D by pounding on them behind the net and in the corners. Most games we see Helm and tatar being used in that role with Abby. Helm and tatar are far to small for that role and while Abby is willing he is only average at it. Point is, this is a personnel issue not a line issue.

As for how I would set up the lines:

Z-Datsyuk-Abby

Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar

Jurco-Larkin-Richards(until Pulk returns)

Andersson-Glendening-Helm

Start getting these guys that are our future working together. Next year Richards is gone-replaced by Pulks, Jurco goes back to the 4th line and is replaced by Mantha and then find a big physical wing for the 4th line. Helm and Andersson can be moved to help find a true power forward or crease clearing Dman.

Athanasiou is not "still" injured, but yes he is injured again. Nosek was called up over a healthy Athanasiou though, mainly for his ability on the PK, although AA is no slouch on the PK either. But your point still stands, he can't be inserted into the lineup when he's injured. I expect he'll be good to go again very soon though.

This is the best I could come up with to make us successful.

Larkin - Zetterberg - scoring winger

Tatar - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

Nyquist - Richards - talented grinder

Helm - Glendenning - Emelianenko

Kronwall - top defenseman

DeKesyer - Green

Ericsson - Marchenko

Mrazek

Howard

Edited by GMRwings1983

Let's go forward the next 2 seasons as well.

2015/2016 forward unit:

Z-datsyuk-Abby

Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar

Jurco-Larkin-Pulks

Andersson-Glendening-Helm

Richards-Miller

Richards, Miller, and Helm are all UFA's. Andersson is a RFA. We have 2 young F's that should/could be ready for next season in Mantha and AA.

2016/2017:

Z-Datsyuk-Abby

Nyquist-Sheahan-tatar

Mantha-Larkin-Pulks

Andersson-Glendening-Jurco

Miller

Because of the waiver issues for Marchenko, Oullett, Sproul, and Jensen next summer I wouldn't be surprised is we start the season with 8 Dmen.

2017/2018:

Z-larkin-Abby

Nyquist-Sheahan-tatar

Mantha-AA-Pulks

Andersson-Glendening-Jurco

Lil' Bert-nastasiak or Miller

At this point Mantha and AA have to be on the roster or we lose them in waivers.

This is 3 seasons worth of forwards and we have no front of net guys on the roster or coming up. Something that has to be addressed via draft/trade/ufa. Helm should be moved before we lose him via UFA. 1 of Nyquist/Tatar/Pulks can also be moved to help find the front of net guy. There are also Dmen that can be moved to help create a package for trades.

There are LOTS of options for our lines that I would be okay with, as LONG AS HELM IS WHERE HE BELONGS! How many breakaways do we have to watch him screw up? He is a 4th line player. THat is his role. Now for lines, like I said, lots of possibilities!

Z- Pav- Larkin

Abby- Richards- Nyquist

Jurco- Sheahan- Tatar

Miller- Glendening- Helm

This is my preferred choice. I really like a stacked 1st line and I feel like Larkin can really get Pav AND Hank playing at their best, while also playing with one another. The 2nd and 3rd line would play essentially the same amount of minutes and, in doing so, I would play more like Randy Carlyle used to with his Ducks (play your top 3 lines a lot more than your 4th line).

Other line possibilities:

Larkin- Pav- Richards (If Blash really wants Richards to stay with Pav).

Nyquist- Z- Abby

Jurco- Sheahan- Tatar

Miller- Glendening- Helm

OR:

Larkin- Pav- Tatar (This would be a fun line)

Richards- Z- Nyquist

Jurco- Shehan- Abby

Miller- Glendening- Helm

There are even more possibilities. But what do they all have in common? They all look better because Helm is on the 4th line!

current un-injured roster:

Larkin - Z - Nyquist

Richards - Datsyuk - Nosek

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Helm - Glenny - Abby

...mayb switch up Richards and Tatar, but That line of Tats, Shea and Jurco seems to have great chemistry...stll. It won't be long until Jurco starts scoring more, he is looking good on that combo. No offense to Abby, but he just isnt producing, maybve put him on the checking line where at least he can produce in that way. I still hate that they based his raise on one year of 20 goals, now we are going to be payng he over $4m for 7 more years of 10-15 goals. I can see it. I know he has 11 goals only half way throough the season, but remember he scored 5 goals the first 3 games, and has had 6 ever since. When Miller comes back, send Nosek back down and then Abby can earn his way back up.

current un-injured roster:

Larkin - Z - Nyquist

Richards - Datsyuk - Nosek

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Helm - Glenny - Abby

So Nosek is more worthy of a top 6 spot than Abby? Abby's been good. The piano puller quote shows that Datsyuk would agree with your lines.

Also, I don't think Replacing Helm with a player in his 4th NHL game is going get Datsyuk going (as seems to be a main goal for people in this thread). I just think you took the struggling line and made it worse.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Yes, but, maybe Nosek can put some goals in....it was no problem putting Larkin on the top line before he had any experience. I know he looked like he was NHL ready, but until he played in that spot we didn't know for sure. Maybe the skill of Nosek can put a spark in that line. Helm absolutely does nothing for that line and can barely hit an open net, Abby just isn't top line material, I don't care about pulling piano's or pulling legs, Abby (mad don't get me wrong, I like him) doesn't belong on the 1st line, he is best at checking and putting in some goals, like a 3rd or 4th liner. I believe he got paid too much and the Wings will regret it...much like Erection and so far Nyquist. Erection has come and gone (:lol:) but at least Nyquist can grow some more, Erection has grown all he can and is now on the softening part of his hard career....ok, ok, I'll stop! :hysterical:

If Nosek doesn't gell with Datsyuk, switch it up again, but as it stands, neither Abby nor Helm belong in the top 6. Maybe when Pulk returns, try him again with Datsyuk....but when that happens, we'll be looking to trade someone for sure, too many forwards at the NHL level that cannot be sent down.

...maybe switch Nosek up with Tatar, but I just didn't want to mess with the 3rd's chemistry...

Larkin - Z - Nyquist

Richards - Dats - Tatar

Nosek - Sheahan - Jurco

Helm - Glenny - Abby

Yes, but, maybe Nosek can put some goals in....it was no problem putting Larkin on the top line before he had any experience. I know he looked like he was NHL ready, but until he played in that spot we didn't know for sure. Maybe the skill of Nosek can put a spark in that line.

Larkin was heavily watched by the management and by Jeff Blashill when he played for him. During training camp as well. They knew he would be a difference maker. I'm sure they've watched the other guys too, if they think they would be difference makers I believe we would have seen them on top line.

With Blash, they only thing I question is his usage of Richards and I guess Helm. But Datsyuk has said it before that he needs someone to pull the piano. So I don't know if its a coaches thing or a veteran players request.

Edited by kickazz