• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

The Holiday tradition: 2016 Draft thoughts.....

Rate this topic

Very solid draft by Kenny and organization... onto Free Agency!

Getting reports that they are already massaging Stamkos heavily, as expected. Haven't heard of anyone else specifically yet though.

Not sure about the draft this year but I say they same thing every year and I'm usually pleasantly surprised. There is a reason they passed on some of the more obvious picks and went other directions. They know what we are doing. I know people have heard this a million times but the Wings were criticized for taking an unknown small forward out of Russia named Datsyuk over more obvious names left in that round. In Hakan and the rest of the recruiting staff we trust!

Not sure about the draft this year but I say they same thing every year and I'm usually pleasantly surprised. There is a reason they passed on some of the more obvious picks and went other directions. They know what we are doing. I know people have heard this a million times but the Wings were criticized for taking an unknown small forward out of Russia named Datsyuk over more obvious names left in that round. In Hakan and the rest of the recruiting staff we trust!

Or more recently, people on the board said Bertuzzi was listed much lower than where we picked him at and complained about the choice. He has looked quite good in GR and I don't think many are unhappy that we took him now

I was skeptical of Cholowski, but hopeful he turns out to be a steal. Love the Smith and Sambrook picks, not sure on any of the other guys, so time will tell... Hopefully they're Hakan specials...

I'm more optimistic on the swede picks now that I seen stuff on twitter , hakan Andersson likes the swede defensemen and compares him to ekstrom from Nashville with higher upside

And the last pick he's compared him to Logan brown ... As the swede goalie I saw a tweet that said they we surprised he was picked cause of a bad season but he's got a lot of upside

I got a lot of faith at least one of those swedes will turn out , when nobody knows about them except for Andersson it usually means good news for us

Otto makinen wasnt drafted and neither was lazarev, svechnikovs linemate , both should be invited to camp ...is there a limit of how many people we can invite to camp?

From Corey Pronman of ESPN:

Very surprised nobody drafted Zach Sawchenko. Was a first-team All-Star in WHL and has a decent chance to be on Canada's WJC team.

Sounds a little Hicketts-y to me, would love to see us invite this guy to prospects camp.

And where are you pulling 5-6 years from? You have no clue. 4 years is probably the max, and possibly as few as 2 years depending on his development. Kids are coming straight from college more and more often. Larkin, Dekeyser came straight from college. Cholowski was the fastest rising prospect in this year's draft. He already has good size for an 18-year-old, and will add on within a year or two. You're off your rocker if you think Gauthier, Jones, or Rubtsov will jump right into the NHL. They'll more than likely need at least a season or two of development, maybe even 3. They're not locks to be anything above top 6 players.

"Kieffer Bellows is a pure shooter with question marks about the rest of his game. Max Jones is a nasty left winger with a size/speed combination and perhaps a 50-50 shot at either becoming a top-six power forward -- a better-skating version of the Scott Hartnell mold -- or else having a career as a role player somewhere in the range of the careers of former first-round picks Raffi Torres, Ben Eager or current Washington Capitals winger Tom Wilson. A lot of NHL scouts soured on Julien Gauthier's game as the 2015-16 season progressed. Questions started to fly about his adaptability to the NHL despite being a good finisher with a huge frame and excellent strength (although not very consistent in applying it)."

A little intel on Jordan Sambrook:

Smooth-skating two-way defenceman who displays solid creativity and offensive instincts, as well as a strong defensive game. Can play lengthy shifts due to his conservative style without the puck, and can be relied upon in all situations. Mobile with and without the puck, and could even become a bit quicker. His size allows him to be physically assertive and protect the puck well. All-in-all, a defenceman who has the potential to become a well-rounded all-around player that can log a lot of ice-time. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=268675#sthash.SmsD9WRx.dpuf

Holland was already talking about "Cholowski going to St. Cloud St for the next 4 years." Then 1-2 in the AHL, that makes 5-6 years from now. Because of the crap teams that drafted Gauthier Jones, and Chychrun each has a better than 50-50 chance of being in the NHL next year. Same with Rubstov. All 4 will have played at least 1 game by the end of the 2017/18 season. meanwhile Cholowski will be a sophomore in college with 2 years to go.

Holland was already talking about "Cholowski going to St. Cloud St for the next 4 years." Then 1-2 in the AHL, that makes 5-6 years from now. Because of the crap teams that drafted Gauthier Jones, and Chychrun each has a better than 50-50 chance of being in the NHL next year. Same with Rubstov. All 4 will have played at least 1 game by the end of the 2017/18 season. meanwhile Cholowski will be a sophomore in college with 2 years to go.

Even IF we drafted Jones or Chychrun (lets focus on Chychrun), you really think the RED WINGS would have let them join the NHL next year? They forced themselves with Larkin because Datsyuk was leaving and thankfully it worked out because Larkin ended up being really good. Larkin is a once in a blue moon situation.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Don't kid yourself thinking that the number 16th pick would have been in a Red Wings jersey next year lol. We all know he would have been in GR. Most teams would have probably started Svechnikov this year but the Red Wings are likely to keep him down in GR for the next two years. And he's not even a defenseman (who typically take longer to develop)

If Cholowski does really well in college hockey he could end up here sooner rather than later. College programs are really good development processes anyways.

Like it or not, the Red Wings defense prospect pool just got thicker. It's been their goal all year heading into the draft and they weren't going to change that. They also addressed a secondary need by signing a bigger players.

Edited by kickazz

Even IF we drafted Jones or Chychrun (lets focus on Chychrun), you really think the RED WINGS would have let them join the NHL next year? They forced themselves with Larkin because Datsyuk was leaving and thankfully it worked out because Larkin ended up being really good. Larkin is a once in a blue moon situation.

You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Don't kid yourself thinking that the number 16th pick would have been in a Red Wings jersey next year lol. We all know he would have been in GR. Most teams would have probably started Svechnikov this year but the Red Wings are likely to keep him down in GR for the next two years. And he's not even a defenseman (who typically take longer to develop)

If Cholowski does really well in college hockey he could end up here sooner rather than later. College programs are really good development processes anyways.

Like it or not, the Red Wings defense prospect pool just got thicker. It's been their goal all year heading into the draft and they weren't going to change that. They also addressed a secondary need by signing a bigger players.

He saved me the response. Thanks Kickazz!

It's not like Larkin made the team his first year after being drafted either. He was drafted two years ago and spent a full season developing in college before making the team out of camp last year...

I would have loved Chychrun at 16, but that was a great trade for us. I would have also loved Jones at 20, but none of these kids available at 20 would have been making the Wings this season, likely not next season, and maybe if we were lucky, they'd make it in the 2018-19 season...

There's obviously something about Cholowski that our scouts seen that not many other did. Hopefully they're right and he develops into a solid 2nd pairing defenseman for the Wings in a few years...

Edited by krsmith17

It's not like Larkin made the team his first year after being drafted either. He was drafted two years ago and spent a full season developing in college before making the team out of camp last year...

I would have loved Chychrun at 16, but that was a great trade for us. I would have also loved Jones at 20, but none of these kids available at 20 would have been making the Wings this season, likely not next season, and maybe if we were lucky, they'd make it in the 2018-19 season...

There's obviously something about Cholowski that our scouts seen that not many other did. Hopefully they're right and he develops into a solid 2nd pairing defenseman for the Wings in a few years...

My only small reservation with Cholo is that we're entrusting him to St. Cloud. Not a bad hockey school by any means, but they've only had a handful (and quite a few bubble players) of notable players go on to the NHL: Bret Hedican, Ryan Malone, Matt Cullen, and Mark Parrish. And our own Nick Jensen, who may or may not stick around. It just doesn't feel like strong 1st round material.

Few words from Hakkan Andersson on Elfstrom. Could be the Hakkan draft steal we hope for every year. On WIIM.

Mattias Elfstrom - Forward

Height: 63"Weight: 194 lbsShoots: Left 197th overall

Elfstrom is a big power-forward kid who can play both center and wing.

From what Hakan Andersson told me, he was pushing for Elfstrom to be drafted earlier than he was - "[Tyler Wright] kept saying to me, do you think we can play the draft a little bit? Do a lot of people know about him? and I had to admit, no they dont, but when you like someone you need to grab them, but this worked out great for us." Andersson obviously talking about what a steal Elfstrom is at 197th overall. Whats even more awesome is that when asked if other teams knew about him he said, point-blank, "nope."

Edited by kickazz

Few words from Hakkan Andersson on Elfstrom. Could be the Hakkan draft steal we hope for every year. On WIIM.

Mattias Elfstrom - Forward

Height: 63"Weight: 194 lbsShoots: Left 197th overall

Elfstrom is a big power-forward kid who can play both center and wing.

From what Hakan Andersson told me, he was pushing for Elfstrom to be drafted earlier than he was - "[Tyler Wright] kept saying to me, do you think we can play the draft a little bit? Do a lot of people know about him? and I had to admit, no they dont, but when you like someone you need to grab them, but this worked out great for us." Andersson obviously talking about what a steal Elfstrom is at 197th overall. Whats even more awesome is that when asked if other teams knew about him he said, point-blank, "nope."

Very reminiscent of Datsyuk's story. Let's hope this story ends the same. This is why I don't know why people were panicking over the draft. Any pick that is endorsed by Hakan Andersson is endorsed by me. I've said for a long time that the day we lose Hakan is the day this team goes in the gutter.

I'm a big fan of our picks going the college hockey route. One thing that's true of college athletes across the board is the amount of time they have to dedicate to fitness. They have required gym times that are typically overseen by accomplished trainers and nutritionists. For a guy that's undersized, I think it's the best bet. Not that Canadian junior teams don't emphasize fitness, but I think all things being equal a player comes out of college hockey more physically mature than they do out of Canadian Juniors.

Also, anybody else impressed with Tyler Wright's drafting? He's put together some very solid draft classes the last 3 years and you really don't hear too much about him otherwise. He's sort of below the radar within the organization, but I like what he's doing.

Edited by kipwinger

Here are our 7 picks with very short descriptions and a quick read. They all look pretty solid to me. Even the small defenseman we picked up that Lefty was unimpressed is described as "Despite his lack of size, isn’t afraid to play physically."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/06/25/meet-all-red-wings-draft-picks/86384258/

The only thing that seems questionable is the goalie we picked up lol. Why a goalie?

Edited by kickazz

Yeah, I didn't understand taking a goalie last year, but it really doesn't make sense that we drafted yet another one this year... With Mrazek set as our number one for the foreseeable future at just 24 years old, and at least two of Coreau, Paterson, Perry and Pottelberghe as viable options for backup in the near or not so distant future, I really didn't think there was a need for another goalie in Larsson...

Yeah, I didn't understand taking a goalie last year, but it really doesn't make sense that we drafted yet another one this year... With Mrazek set as our number one for the foreseeable future at just 24 years old, and at least two of Coreau, Paterson, Perry and Pottelberghe as viable options for backup in the near or not so distant future, I really didn't think there was a need for another goalie in Larsson...

It's one pick. If he pans out well maybe he gets used as trade bait for something we might need in the future. Plus it's never a bad idea to have a good goalie ready to take over if need be. Plus if he surpasses mrazek you can get 3-5 cheap years in with another starter and trade mrazek if he's too expensive

I understand that it's just one pick, but it's one pick that we could have used on a position of need, rather than a position that we're overloaded in. For over a decade we were drafting a goalie every two years like clockwork, and to me, that's around what it should be. We've now drafted a goalie 3 straight years... It's not like I'm pissed with the pick or anything, just seemed a little odd to me. Maybe it was a goaltender that Andersson feels is the next Lundquist and he simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to draft him...

Teams draft best available. If that's a goalie then it's a goalie. You really only draft position of need if there's really no difference in quality between two or three players when you're drafting. Likely the reason they took the goalie is because he was obviously their highest rated player available at that particular point in the draft. I'd rather have too many good goalies, than a more evenly balanced prospect pool with worse players. Too many good players is an asset. While our trades didn't necessarily pan out, it's because we had too many good forwards and defense prospects that we were able to deal Jarnkrok, Janmark, and Backman without "mortgaging our future".

I understand that it's just one pick, but it's one pick that we could have used on a position of need, rather than a position that we're overloaded in. For over a decade we were drafting a goalie every two years like clockwork, and to me, that's around what it should be. We've now drafted a goalie 3 straight years... It's not like I'm pissed with the pick or anything, just seemed a little odd to me. Maybe it was a goaltender that Andersson feels is the next Lundquist and he simply couldn't pass up the opportunity to draft him...

The team has also had a lot of bad luck drafting goalies outside of Mrazek. Maybe their plan is to double up on goalies to ensure we always have someone with promise in the system. Other teams have great goalies seemingly grow on trees. We've managed to come up with one in a whole lot of years. I'm guessing they see it as an area they need to address.