• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bill Berzeench

Right Handed Players

Rate this topic

It is painfully obvious to me that the Red Wings need 3-4 right handed forwards that are equivalent or better than Nyquist, Helm, and Miller. This has been a problem for a long time. I have no idea why Holland will not address it. You cant have 11 forwards that are left handed out there. The power play SUCKS because the left half of the ice is a no-shot zone. You gotta have a threat to shoot on that side that can one time the puck right handed. This is some really shytty player management by our gm and coach right now. What the heck is our GM doing? Working 3 days a year is not cutting it.

While I will agree that we are in desperate need of some right handed shots, I will not go so far as to say that it is the main reason that the wings have vastly under performed thus far this season. To place the blame on Kenny Holland is a bit of an overreaction as well. Sure, he hasn't brought the right handed shots we need to this team yet, but it's not always as simple as choosing the player you wish to have and plucking them away from another team. There are a number of variables that come into play here that go way beyond what us here at LGW are capable of comprehending. Do I feel that having those extra right handed shots would help? Sure but, there are also a number of other things that could help us such as proper line combos, having injured players return, and just plain overall team laziness. And, those are just three examples off the top of my head.

I would be interested to see how many right-handed shooters were on all of the Cup-winning teams of the past 10 years. Chicago only had 7 last year and only half of them played more than a handful of games. Holland addressed the need for a RH offensive defenseman by signing Mike Green. Maybe this year he'll be able to grab a few more pieces at the deadline. If not, it's not like he hasn't attempted to address the issue.

It is painfully obvious to me that the Red Wings need 3-4 right handed forwards that are equivalent or better than Nyquist, Helm, and Miller. This has been a problem for a long time. I have no idea why Holland will not address it. You cant have 11 forwards that are left handed out there. The power play SUCKS because the left half of the ice is a no-shot zone. You gotta have a threat to shoot on that side that can one time the puck right handed. This is some really shytty player management by our gm and coach right now. What the heck is our GM doing? Working 3 days a year is not cutting it.

You do understand to find right handed shooters, you have to find players that are left handed?

You do understand to find right handed shooters, you have to find players that are left handed?

The association between handedness and how you hold your stick is actually pretty loose in my experience. My entire beer league squad is right handed, right shooting, with the exception of one guy. I know of a couple left left guys as well.

Green would help on the pp if only Blash puts him out on the first unit, keep putting Kronwall out there aint helping and

by the time Green gets out on a pp theres usually only 25 or so seconds left.

6 milly a year for a guy who has made a career out of being an offensive d man. I think it's time to get him on the first unit. To be honest I would go back to 3 forwards and 2 d on the PP. Z - D - Abby - Green - Kronwall and then whatever other 5 guys you want to put on the second unit. Gus, Tatar, Larkin, Richards etc....

I'm right handed, AND shoot right...Sign me up!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's a higher % of Euro born/raised players who are right handed, but shoot left whereas many here on this side of the pond are right handed, throw right, and shoot right.

But for best strength you should be shooting left. That's being taught the right way. Your dominate hand should be on the top.

The association between handedness and how you hold your stick is actually pretty loose in my experience. My entire beer league squad is right handed, right shooting, with the exception of one guy. I know of a couple left left guys as well.

But that's the beer league. Right way is dominate hand should on top. Why do you see so many NHLers shoot left? Most of them are right handed and the ones shooting right are mostly likely left handed.

But for best strength you should be shooting left. That's being taught the right way. Your dominate hand should be on the top.

But that's the beer league. Right way is dominate hand should on top. Why do you see so many NHLers shoot left? Most of them are right handed and the ones shooting right are mostly likely left handed.

Lol there is no right way. It's not like there's some secret filter that only kids who hold their stick the "right" way grow up to be NHLers and the rest of us who happened to pick up a stick at 3 the "wrong" way doomed ourselves to playing beer leagues at best. The whole thing about it providing more strength isn't supported by any factual evidence that I've come across.

For the record Shea Weber is right handed (based off photos of him signing autographs) and shoots right. He has one of the hardest shots in the NHL.

This isn't true.

There's actually a bunch of studies on this, the "correct way" is whatever feels comfortable for a kid when they start playing so they don't have to learn another skill from scratch.

And the result of that article I read, was dominant hand on top is better for stick handling, dominant on bottom is better for shooting. Also most Canadians shoot left handed, most Americans shoot right...

My right hand is more dominant than my left, but I can't shoot left handed, although I used to take a lot of faceoffs with my stick turned around.

Going with what feels most natural is a lot smarter than forcing a kid to use his strong hand at the top just to abide by a fictional rule.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Yeah I think general consensus has been that dominant hand on the bottom helps with shot power and dominant hand on top helps with shot accuracy and puck handling. It probably also depends on your upbringing.

I started playing baseball first and always did things left handed. So when I picked up my hockey stick (around age 7 ish) I picked the lefty stick. So I've always been a left handed left shooter.

Aside from all this though I think the league has always been short on right shooters. In 2010 analysis they did on HFboard it was at about a 64% to 36% ratio of left to right shooters. The post is out there somewhere if you google search it. (Btw I feel like this Left vs Right convo has happened before)

Edited by kickazz

You know who shoots right and is a beast on the PP?

Steven f****** Stamkos.

Get it done Kenny.

Amen. If they arent going to play Mantha or Ouellet, trade them and bring Stamkos here for a few months.

Nyquist, Mantha, Ouellet, and a 2nd round pick for Stamkos.

No pending UFA would cost near that much, not even Stamkos. That would go down as the dumbest trade in the history of the NHL.

What's stopping Stamkos from bolting after this season to go back to Tampa or Toronto or any of the other 27 teams? We're then without a legit top 6, 25-30 goal scorer, a top prospect, power forward winger that projects to be a 30 goal scorer, and our top defense prospect, as well as a pick...

Luc Robataille, Brett Hull, Chris Osgood, Brian Rafalski, Marian Hossa.

Hull and Rafalski were right handed shooters. So Holland's 2 for 4 on the right handed UFAs hahaha.

Have faith we got a 50% shot our next UFA will be right handed. (I'm not counting Brad Richards or Green but even then its 50%)

Alright to be serious. I don't think right handed shooters will make or break our PP. We were the second best PP last year with practically the same amount of R vs L PP shooters.

But having a balance imo does help.

But I'd rather worry about getting other things we need than worry about handedness. We need a scoring forward (Stamkos? Andrew Ladd?), need a better D-man (Big Buff?) etc etc etc blah blah

Edited by kickazz

“The top hand on a hockey stick has to be able to handle the torques of a stick while the bottom hand just has to handle the weight with no torques,” he wrote. He theorized that American children, who tend to take up hockey when they are older and bigger, can afford to put the stronger hand, generally the right, on the lower part of the shaft for more precision.

A lot of experts would argue, however, that having the dominant hand on top makes for better control and stick-handling.

It's mainly an American thing to have your weak hand on the top.

NY Times Article

It's mainly an American thing to have your weak hand on the top.

NY Times Article

"He theorized that American children, who tend to take up hockey when they are older and bigger, can afford to put the stronger hand, generally the right, on the lower part of the shaft for more precision."

That basically is me. Except I'm left handed and put my left hand on the bottom. Makes sense to me. I definitely felt I had better shot precision using my dominant hand on bottom. But not sure if it applies to kids who start at like age 4 (hell sometimes even younger)

Edited by kickazz

The best danglers / stick handlers in the league, most are left handed (Datsyuk, Kane, Duchene, Gaudreau, etc.). The best shooter / snipers in the league, most are right handed (Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kessel, Seguin, etc.). All of which are right hand dominant. There are obviously going to be exceptions to the rule but there is definitely a correlation between handedness and shooting / stick handling.

Look at the two most prominent snipers in our organization right now, Teemu Pulkkinen and Martin Frk. Both of these guys have absolute bombs and shoot right handed.

The best danglers / stick handlers in the league, most are left handed (Datsyuk, Kane, Duchene, Gaudreau, etc.). The best shooter / snipers in the league, most are right handed (Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kessel, Seguin, etc.). All of which are right hand dominant. There are obviously going to be exceptions to the rule but there is definitely a correlation between handedness and shooting / stick handling.

Look at the two most prominent snipers in our organization right now, Teemu Pulkkinen and Martin Frk. Both of these guys have absolute bombs and shoot right handed.

We need this guy!

3o6UBl1p7bfvQ7SFAA.gif

6 of the top 10 goal scorers are left handed. Theory debunked.

Teemu Pulkkinen, Mike Green, and Martin Frk have a combined 8 NHL goals this year. Larkin, Nyquist, and Tatar have 37. Theory debunked.

Next?

6 of the top 10 goal scorers are left handed. Theory debunked.

Teemu Pulkkinen, Mike Green, and Martin Frk have a combined 8 NHL goals this year. Larkin, Nyquist, and Tatar have 37. Theory debunked.

Next?

Sniper does not necessarily mean top goal scorer. Hull is a sniper, Pulk is a sniper, Kane and Datsyuk are stick handlers. At least if I understood KRSmith's meaning.