• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bill Berzeench

The Elite Dylan Larkin

Rate this topic

I'm not sure what Wings fans want or think about young talent anymore. There was a significant portion of fans prior to the season telling us he'll be good but must suffer the lower leagues before we saw him for some magical number of years.

The kid has played at an elite level since he started and there's absolutely no one I would trade him for. His stats are on par with the best in the league and he will get nothing but better as he plays with top end talent. He's elite.

I'm not sure what Wings fans want or think about young talent anymore. There was a significant portion of fans prior to the season telling us he'll be good but must suffer the lower leagues before we saw him for some magical number of years.

The kid has played at an elite level since he started and there's absolutely no one I would trade him for. His stats are on par with the best in the league and he will get nothing but better as he plays with top end talent. He's elite.

You wouldn't trade him for McDavid, Tavares or Benn?

Looking at age and production no I probably would not trade straight up for any on those options. Benn is a special talent but again he's what 26? My point is look at who you are talking about the very best the league has

to offer and guys you would most likely consider elite. Why is it such a stretch to call him out as a special talent and something in an upper category of the league? I personally wouldn't trade him for those folks but if you would I understand

but again I'd put the people you are talking about in that special category as elite. He's in that conversation and rightly so. Glad we didn't have to suffer him in the minors for a few years to grow him and keep in mind even our supposed

hockey brains of the Wings operations really debated on whether he deserved to be in the NHL yet...what a joke.

How about this for a happy medium:

Dylan Larkin is an elite member of his draft class.

See, now we recognize his (potential for) greatness, but also keep in perspective that he needs to do it consistently over multiple years before he is elite in the NHL!!!

Dylan Larkin named to NHLs All-Star Game roster dlvr.it/DC3drw

Edit: WTF? Twitter links don't paste anymore? Try this:

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/dylan-larkin-named-to-nhls-all-star-game-roster?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

How about this for a happy medium:

Dylan Larkin is an elite member of his draft class.

See, now we recognize his (potential for) greatness, but also keep in perspective that he needs to do it consistently over multiple years before he is elite in the NHL!!!

This i can dig.

I just have a hard time acknowledging eliteness in a player who is 66th in league scoring, ranking alongside the likes of Adam Henrique, and Frans Nielson. 48th in goals, 127th in assists, 85th in points/game. He is tied for first leaguewide in +/-, which is certainly worth mentioning, but I don't think that's enough to label him elite just yet.

If we are comparing him to other rookies? Definitely elite. If we are grading based on potential? Definitely elite. But if we are comparing him to the league as a whole and not putting limitations on his competition, then he hasn't proven himself to be elite in any statistical category other than +/-. That's not to say he won't next year, or the year after that, or averaged over his entire career. He just hasn't done so to date.

Bill, didn't you suggest that his stats are as good as anyone in the league, or something like that? How is 27pts comparable to 59pts? There is nothing elite about 27pts in 39 games. Arguing whether he's the best of the team right now is one thing and possible, but that doesn't make him elite.

I agree with others though, it's all in perception of the term. In my mind, there are very few elite players in the league, if there are a lot, then how could you really call them elite? Some teams have 1, some have more than 1 and some have none.

I'm actually not at all surprised that Larkin's picked for the all star game to represent the Wings. Everyone else on our roster has been either below expectations or only "decent". Larkin has exceeded all expectations of the organization. The only other players that could even be thought of being picked might have been Mrazek or Zetterberg. Zetterberg's too "old" and the guy always dropped out of the all star games (don't blame him). Disappointed that Mrazek wasn't picked but with the way Schneider, Holtby, Luongo have been playing, it's tough competition.

Also just wanted to point out that Sidney Crosby - the supposed best player in the world (as some people still hang on to that old tale) has been snubbed from the all-star game. But for some reason Jonathan Toews (who is having one of the worst seasons) gets picked >.>

Edited by kickazz

You acknowledge that Zetterberg never plays in the All-Star game because he chooses not to, but then go on to say that Crosby has been "snubbed"... What makes you think Crosby, for whatever reason, chose not to go, like MANY have in the past... Sure it's possible, but I'd find it very hard to believe that Crosby was simply overlooked. Even with his subpar (to his standards) season, he is still producing more than quite a few that have been selected.

Crosby got other things to think about. Such as winning and making the playoffs. I'm convinced he's been asked.

I saw that Larkin was nominated a few days ago. Not surprised but glad he's getting acknowledgement, he deserves it.

He's not elite yet, that takes time, practice, luck and heavy reps in the weight room over a few years. He's got the tools to get elite though of course, let's hope it pans out. He's in a sweet spot, playing with D & Z. Can't have much better mentors.

You acknowledge that Zetterberg never plays in the All-Star game because he chooses not to, but then go on to say that Crosby has been "snubbed"... What makes you think Crosby, for whatever reason, chose not to go, like MANY have in the past... Sure it's possible, but I'd find it very hard to believe that Crosby was simply overlooked. Even with his subpar (to his standards) season, he is still producing more than quite a few that have been selected.

He wasn't snubbed. I was giving you media language and sarcasm.

He simply hasn't played like an all-star. And didn't get a spot. I think that's the first main reason. Additionally , it's not like he's been that great in the all-star games anyway. 2nd reason I think is the league has guys like Toews and Kane to promote themselves now, they don't need to hang on to Crosby. He'd probably much rather sit out anyway. Crosby will be Crosby but when there's other guys up and coming as the canadian/american faces of hockey, Crosby can get a break.

Edited by kickazz

I was one of those, and I will glad eat my fair show of crow at this point. He is going to be a great, I think. He isn't there yet as some others have said, but if he stays healthy and maintains his work ethic he will. He has the potential to be a generational player as others have said. Edited by TheXym

Define elite. To me it's bthe very best. Top 10 forwards, top 5 D, top 3 or 4 goalies, or there about. Guys who are up there every year. Larkin isn't close to that. Throwing age out, there are a ton of guys I'd trade him for right now, just for this season.

Some people seem to define it as he's good and on my team and I like him and I think he's going to get better.

Larkin IS generational, he is the best 19 year old we've had since Yzerman and is the best rookie we've had since Zetterberg.

Lots of guys have great rookie years and plateau early. Way too soon to call him generational, especially when he's not even close to a point a game.

I said this in another thread, but it's much more relevant here...

My problem with arguing the word "elite" is much like arguing the meaning of many words, people have different interpretations... To me, elite is not exclusive to two or three players in the league, nor is it two or three players on every team.

When Babcock left for Toronto, one of his quotes regarding Nazem Kadri was "well I expect him to be an elite player". I don't think anyone would suggest that Babs expected Kadri to be a top 50 player in the league, let alone top two or three... I've heard Blashill say several times that he believes DeKeyser "is an elite player in the league". Does that mean he thinks he's the next Lidstrom or Orr? I doubt it. Another quote from Blashill regarding Nyquist and Tatar, "I believe they either have been or are going to be elite players in this league". Does anyone think that Blash is saying that they have the potential to be the next Gretzky or Lemieux? Again, I doubt it.

How many times have we heard coaches, commentators, analysts say so-and-so is elite, or even just a generic comment such as "they have some elite players over there" when talking about the opposition? It could be regarding the Chicago Blackhawks or the Buffalo Sabres, the word is still used. No one would argue that there is at least one elite player on Chicago, whether it's Toews, Kane, Keith, etc., but who on Buffalo is elite? My point is, oftentimes the word is used very loosely, and it just depends on your interpretation of the word.

Larkin has been compared to some of the greats that were / are elite. Everyone's heard the comparisons to Yzerman and Toews, just or not. I think everyone would agree that Larkin is an elite rookie in the league and has elite potential, but I don't think it's fair to label him elite league wide at this point in his career. Just my opinion...