• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

In which we SPOOK OURSELVES

Rate this topic

Has anything creepy or unexplained ever happened to you? Do people give you weird looks when you try to explain what you saw? Does any of the following apply to you?

-Experienced things that move on their own

-Saw silhouette or out of focus entity in a place where no entity should be

-Got the heebyjeebies

OR perhaps you simply enjoy the catecholamine release, the feel of your heart racing, the piloerection, and the sense of impending doom reaching out for your soul when you read about these experiences and stories.

If any of the above apply, THEN THIS THREAD IS FOR YOU

:clown::clown::alien1::alien1::crazy::crazy:

Here we will share scary and unexplained things that have happened to us or our loved ones, or creepy stories exclusively in the realm of fiction if we prefer. All are welcome!

RECOMMENDED TO READ AT NIGHT WITH LIGHTS OFF UNDER TENT OF BLANKETS AND FLASHLIGHT

note: because there are only 3 people in the water cooler, multiple entries are encouraged.

note: this thread was inspired in part by a previous scary story thread that was posted in the water cooler years ago. I will share my story that I posted in that thread, but I will spice it up a bit to add to the story-telling.

note: as mentioned above, you don't have to necessarily have experienced anything yourself to participate. The story could be something that a friend or family member experienced, or even just a made up scary story that has stuck with you through the years! The point of this thread is to DELIVER THE SPOOKY

:clown::clown::alien1::alien1::crazy::crazy:

PART 1

If you were to drive north east from the Detroit area until the buildings thinned and were replaced by open fields and trees, drive to the edge of the asphalt and continue your way over gravel and dust, and zigzag through the array of dirt roads and stop at a particular stretch of land about 45 minutes in from Lake Huron, you would find the setting of my story.

The setting is important. I want you all to see it vividly in your mind's eye. I want you to be able to smell the scent of dew on the grass, and the dust kicked up from the road when a pickup drives by. I want you to hear the call of red winged black birds and swallows and loons and bullfrogs. I want you to feel the warm summer breeze as it dances on your skin. I want you to experience the paradise that only country life can provide, and appreciate it the same way that I do, because when something goes wrong in a setting like this, it really sticks with you.

Down one of these dirt roads lives my best friend's aunt and uncle. To get to them you have to turn off the road onto a dirty, dusty, driveway, sandwiched between a stretch of untamed bushes and trees and grass. The driveway continues farther and farther back, until it veers to the right and ends in an opening. On the far side of the opening is a gorgeous log cabin, freshly built, and home to my friend's aunt and uncle. Also on the edge of the clearing, but closest to the road lies a barn-turned-house. If you were to walk back behind the barn and work your way through the grass back toward the main road, eventually the grass would give way to cattails and lilies, and eventually those would give way to the reflection of the sky above. This is where their pond is. It is U-shaped, and the land on the far side of it is entirely wild and difficult to approach.

If instead of veering right with the driveway to the opening where the two buildings meet you decided to continue straight (deeper into the lot and further from the main road) you'd walk through an open field with grass uniformly kept about as high as your knees, with the single exception of a lawn-mowed path which cuts across to the far side. All in all its about a football-field's length until the field reaches the woods.

The woods are a conglomeration of pines and maples and beech, densely packed together so even on the brightest of days the woods are heavily cloaked in shadow. The ground here is soft, cushioned by generations of fallen pine needles and moss. If you worked your way deeper and deeper into the woods, eventually you'd come to the edge of a steep ravine, dropping somewhere between 50-75 feet down, where a creek marches through, carrying whatever falls into its path out to Lake Huron. For the sake of my story, the ravine might as well been the edge of the world, with the bowels of hell waiting below.

We had all driven out there on a Friday afternoon in the middle of summer. Kyle had just graduated from high school and this was his graduation party. All of our closest friends were invited, as well as a couple neighbors who lived out there. And when I say neighbors I mean that in the country sense. Their house was a half mile down the road.

That night we decided to head to the woods to play flashlight tag. Kyle, his girlfriend, myself, and one of the neighborhood girls were picked to hide first. We worked our way back some random distance into the woods and decided to just lie on the ground. The darkness was so thick that even by hiding in plain sight, the only way we'd be found is if they shined a flashlight directly on us, or accidentally tripped over us. Its also worth mentioning that I had a walkie-talkie on me, just in case something had happened to someone. Someone on the seeking team had the other one.

Before too long we could see the beam of flashlights cutting through the black at the start of the woods, and the obnoxious grunts and yells of their bravado, no doubt produced to ward away any fear that creeps up on kids who wander into the woods at night. They spread out and combed through the forest, pointing their lights up into the trees, and down by their feet. It wouldn't be too long before they came to where we were lying and found us all. So we decided to split up. Kyle and his girlfriend took off one way, and me and the local girl chose to run deeper and deeper into the woods, until our path abruptly ended at the ravine. We sat back down, and I listened to the steady flow of the creek below mix with the shouts of my friends. It was pleasant.

But I also heard the rustling of leaves, down at the base of the ravine. I remember pushing it from my mind; it was a raccoon or a deer or something. Certainly nothing to get worried about and embarrass yourself over in front of the local girl. So I returned my focus to the flashlights and shouting and worked my mind back into the pleasant state it was in before.

But the rustling kept interrupting. It was almost like it knew it was bothering me. Like it was trying to make sure I focused on it and nothing else. It was obsessive and demanding, and insisted that everything else in the world was second to it.

And then the girl spoke.

"Do you hear that noise down there?" I tried to find any detail of her face to read, but the darkness was too thick. All I remember was her silhouette was very still.

"Yeah. You don't think its an animal or something?"

"At first, yeah. But a coyote or deer wouldn't be down there this long with all the noise everyone is making."

And then the fear crept in. I had reasoned that there was nothing for me to worry about as long as the girl thought everything was okay. She lived out there. She knew about the land and the animals and what was normal and what wasn't. If she wasn't scared there was no need for me to be scared either. But her stillness. The serious tone in her voice. The fact that she was even mentioning the noise. I don't know if she was scared, but I didn't need to read her face to see she was definitely concerned. So I pulled out the walkie talkie and told everyone to find us back by the ravine.

They all showed up a few minutes later. Kyle, his girlfriend, and all the members of the seeking team. One of them had a powerful flashlight; almost like one of those police spot-lights. After we had explained what was going on (and some of the other kids noticed the noises too), we shined the spotlight down into the ravine, and illuminated a small circle of woods in a sea of black. We saw the tops of trees that cut out from the side of the ravine, and through the branches and leaves we were able to make out a bit of land and creek below. Oh, and the movement, too. We saw that, as well. Whatever was down there was conveniently placed beneath the foliage of the ravine wall, protected from our light. And it was about then we realized it wasn't alone.

More rustling rose up from the ravine, but this time it was to the left of where we were standing. It moved with purpose through the leaves, coming closer and closer, until it stopped maybe 50 feet from the source of the first noises. And there was more rustling, this time further out. And it, too, sounded like it was working its way to us. And more. And more. It sounded like the whole ravine had suddenly come alive. Yet no matter where we shone the flashlight, too much of the ravine floor was obscured by the trees that grew beneath us.

It was at this point that Kyle had to leave. The fear had finally overtaken him, and there was no place he'd rather be than safely locked behind the closed door of the cabin. Half the group agreed with him and followed him out. Part of me wanted to leave, too. Especially because the thrill of solving this mystery suddenly becomes less appealing when half the group abandons you. But I decided to stay. So did the local girl. And so did a couple others.

When Kyle lead his group away from us and back toward the edge of the woods, we all pretended to go. The handful of us that remained behind sat very still. We didn't make a noise. And we agreed that nobody was allowed to turn on their flashlight, or else we would give ourselves away. We could hear the movement down below. A bit of noise here. A snap of a twig over there. Then a voice of some sort. It was low-pitched, and almost sounded like someone trying to speak while gurgling water. To this day its the most haunting thing I've ever heard. And I know I'm not the only one who heard it either, because several of us simultaneously broke our vow to keep the flashlights off and illuminated the treetops of the ravine once again.

"You heard it? You heard it?" It wasn't a question so much as a declaration. We all heard it and we all knew it. But sometimes you need the obvious confirmation to keep yourself from thinking you're going crazy.

"Yeah. This is f***ed up. We should have left." I was starting to agree. Rustling noises are one thing. Even when the whole forest is teeming with movement and all your instincts are telling you something's not right, there's always the scapegoat of saying its all in your head. That you exaggerated the amount of noises. That it really was wildlife after all. But that whispery-gurgly sound is something else altogether. And even if you fell back on the notion that all the rustling through the woods has a logical and natural explanation, the voice at the bottom of the ravine breaks everything down.

And so did what happened next.

The rustling was different this time. It started at the base of the ravine, like all the other times. But then it got closer and closer, louder and louder, all at an alarming rate. It was racing up the wall of the ravine, snapping branches and leaving a trail of debris to fall through the canopy and onto the ravine floor. It was maybe 5 seconds altogether before the silhouette pulled itself up, maybe 20 feet away. And when you feel as close to mortality as I felt that moment, you don't take the extra second to raise your flashlight to the beast. You don't notify your friends. You run. You run like the wind because every other option means death. I ran as hard as I had ever run, and I could hear my friends alongside me, panting, snapping through branches, feet stomping through the dead pine needles. We broke out of the woods and into the field and didn't stop running. I felt blood crawling down my face and my arms itched where they had been scratched by branches. My lungs burned. That ravine was far too steep for anything to climb up.

We startled Kyle and the rest of the group with our sudden entrance. We were a wreck. We explained everything that had happened, all out of breath and bleeding. After we told our story and got cleaned up and settled down, Kyle's aunt notified us that over the past week her and her husband had noticed duck carcasses out by the pond. Their bodies and feathers were all in-tact. They were just missing their heads. And they had no explanation for it, because a wild animal is more interested in the meat on the body than the head. I almost had a heart attack right there. It was all too much to take in, for any of us.

Which meant the next night we were playing flashlight tag in the field.

(part II to follow)

Edited by Echolalia

Part II

The rules were quite simple: Same as last night, except the woods are off limits. Anyone who goes into the woods is disqualified and automatically "it". This time I was on the seeking team. Kyle and his girlfriend were on the hiding team again. Me and another friend from school teamed up and searched behind the barn and along the driveway. We worked our way through the bushes and grass, scanned over the perimeter of the pond, and eventually made our way to the main road before we turned back and doubled our efforts. We heard some kids get caught on the other side of the property, and we might have found some kids ourselves, I honestly can't remember. What I do remember is eventually we had found everyone except Kyle and his girlfriend and the round had been going on for so long that even the hiding team helped us search for them. My buddy and I were pretty burned out from searching for so long, so we essentially reduced our efforts to casually walking around the property and chatting.

We were walking along the driveway back toward the clearing for the hundredth time when we saw Kyle's gumpy silhouette rise up from the knee-high grass in the middle of the field ahead of us and run towards the woods. He had probably 50 yards on us, but my friend and I were both fast guys and should have been able to significantly close the gap before he hit the border of the field and the woods. But Kyle apparently ran like a deer, and eventually his silhouette blended in with the skyline of trees and he disappeared into the brush ahead. We ran to the edge of the woods, where the grass grew a little more unruly, and bushes and small trees sprouted up from the ground before the woods proper took over. We combed the area with our flashlight. Part of me was certain he was just lying in the tall grass. Kyle is a chicken, so I knew, especially after last night, that the woods weren't an option for him.

But we couldn't find him. And after what seemed like an eternity of looking around our ankles for any sign of him I had to concede that he ran into the woods, and was probably watching us from behind a tree right now, laughing to himself.

"We saw you run into the woods, Kyle!" I yelled. "The game's over, we're tired of looking." My friend and I turned around and started working our way back through the field toward the cabin and the barn.

Walking up to meet us from the driveway was the rest of our search party. Kyle and his girlfriend were with them. Apparently they were hiding in a gutter by the side of the main road the whole time.

I don't know who (or what) we chased into the woods. To this day I get goosebumps thinking about it. Everybody was accounted for. The property was too big for someone to lead us to the edge of the woods, then double back to the front of the property. It didn't make sense.

Kyle and I have gone back to his aunt and uncle's property over the years since then. Nothing ever happens, although its impossible to get him back into the woods at night. His aunt says the incident with the ducks hasn't happened since, and they haven't noticed anything peculiar outside of that one summer. I'm not sure what the best explanation is. Maybe it was all in our heads and we worked ourselves up too much. But that doesn't neatly explain everything. In fact it leaves a lot of stuff unaddressed. The worst part is while it may be categorized as "paranormal", its just as likely that there was some creep in the woods with us that weekend, watching our every movement.

Ooohhh good idea for a thread! And great story Echo--I grew up in the thumb and could picture the setting perfectly. The woods can definitely be just as terrifying as they can be serene, I know that first hand.

I am not a religious person, and would probably be a hard core skeptic if I hadn't personally had so many weird experiences as a kid. I still feel that most things can be explained logically, but to this day I have no explanation for a lot of the things I experienced growing up. I was "sensitive," shall we say, and my experiences have lessened as I've gotten older.

The house I grew up in had a harmless resident ghost who would follow commands (we knew who he was, so it helped me not to be afraid but it was still disturbing at times). I've seen and heard my dogs after they've passed. I've had a lot of these types of harmless experiences, but those aren't the ones that stick with you.

I don't like to talk about the other ones.

I still feel like there are logical explanations for these things, I just think there are things we don't yet understand about energy and the natural world. I think it was a Scully quote from an old x files ep that said something to the effect of "nothing happens in contradiction to nature/science, only to what we know of it.

I think that sums up my views on the topic.

And if anyone wants to read a great book from the skeptic/scientific side of things, Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World" is a must.

Ooohhh good idea for a thread! And great story Echo--I grew up in the thumb and could picture the setting perfectly. The woods can definitely be just as terrifying as they can be serene, I know that first hand.

I am not a religious person, and would probably be a hard core skeptic if I hadn't personally had so many weird experiences as a kid. I still feel that most things can be explained logically, but to this day I have no explanation for a lot of the things I experienced growing up. I was "sensitive," shall we say, and my experiences have lessened as I've gotten older.

The house I grew up in had a harmless resident ghost who would follow commands (we knew who he was, so it helped me not to be afraid but it was still disturbing at times). I've seen and heard my dogs after they've passed. I've had a lot of these types of harmless experiences, but those aren't the ones that stick with you.

I don't like to talk about the other ones.

I still feel like there are logical explanations for these things, I just think there are things we don't yet understand about energy and the natural world. I think it was a Scully quote from an old x files ep that said something to the effect of "nothing happens in contradiction to nature/science, only to what we know of it.

I think that sums up my views on the topic.

And if anyone wants to read a great book from the skeptic/scientific side of things, Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World" is a must.

How you gonna play the spook thread like that

It's been over 30 years, so my memory is sure to be faded and perhaps tainted by time, but I am only recalling 3 instances where I witnessed poltergeist activity. I know there were more- I did go through 3 roommates in a matter of 4 months. smile.gif

They tended to be small. One time there was a pile of books on the bed that just fell off. We didn't think anything of it at the time- figured they just hadn't been stacked straight or something, but they had been sitting there for some time, and weren't close to the edge, yet every one of them fell off, not just the ones on the top of the pile. You'd think at least the bottom ones would have stayed on the bed.

Another time my friend Rachel was sitting cross-legged on the bed, playing with one of my stuffed animals. I had just cleaned my room and the rest of the animals were sitting on the bed leaning against the wall. The bed was tight to the wall. I went to answer the door (this was a dorm room, btw) and there was a thump and Rachel screamed. The bed had jumped about a foot from the wall. Rachel said it just leaped up and landed on the floor again. The animals had all fallen behind the bed, and Rachel was still sitting cross-legged, so there was no way she could have done it by moving the bed herself.

The other time was the biggest. We had two closets, above each of which were two cabinets. The cabinet doors tended to stick badly on the one side. My roommate at the time was rather short, so I always had to open hers for her if she needed anything out of it. I am tall enough (5'10") that I could open them and grab from the front if I needed something, but as they were quite deep, I had to get on a chair if I wanted something from the back.

Amy (my roommate at the time) and I were sitting doing our homework when we heard a scrape like the sound that Amy's door made when opening. We looked up and all 4 doors had opened and most of the stuff that was in the cabinets fell out. It wasn't one object at a time nor did things fly, like in videos you see of this sort of thing; it was one gigantic dump.

Amy had never believed until then. She thought I was moving her stuff around to bug her. She moved out rather quickly. I went through 2 more roommates, and they both left almost as soon as they were unpacked. The last one wanted to room with me because she wanted to see "Mike" as we called him. I figured she'd stay, but she was back out the door as soon as something freaky happened.

The occurrences happened for only a span of 4-5 months and then stopped. I did my term paper for English that year on poltergeists. I found that there is a theory that they might be the result of over-active brain waves, and they tend to gravitate around females (check), teens (check), and epileptics (which I was at that time due to side effects of a medication I was on). Some researchers feel that running water and certain types of minerals may also contribute. The area where I lived was surrounded by limestone bluffs and was about 3 blocks from the Mississippi River.

They also tend to last for less than 6 months in cases like mine.

Like I said, it was a very long time ago. Once I found out that I might be the source of it, I thought it was way cool. I never felt threatened by it, just startled because it would happen suddenly. All the same, I'm glad it stopped and hasn't followed me around through life. Those dang things don't pick up after themselves. tongue.gif

Edited by 55fan

Several years ago I worked graveyards in a convenience store that was supposedly haunted by a ghost named Bruce, who was the original owner of the building. Things would jump off shelves and into your path when you walked down the aisles. Cooler doors would fly open as you walked by. Things were few and far between, but most people who worked there had some sort of experience with Bruce.

If you just said, "Hello Bruce. Knock it off." it would stop. I know that when you walked past one set of shelves, the floorboards were not tight to the floor and if something was setting on the edge of the shelf it would fall. You could make that happen by stepping in a certain place on the floor. There it was- a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Other times, things defied physics. There were sounds of doors slamming when you were alone and things like that.

Sometimes the things that would fall off of the shelf (not the one where you could make it happen) would roll, wait for you, then roll again when you tried to pick them up.

The store has been remodeled. I have been back to fill in there a few times, but didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. The assistant manager says that since the remodel, Bruce has been quiet. They say that ghosts will sometimes become more active during times of renovation, but I think Bruce was happy with the remodel. The store really needed it.

With Bruce, I didn't feel too uneasy unless I was in the back room by the sink or if I went downstairs into the store room. Those places seemed unnaturally cold and they were not well-lit. There was one spot on the steps that when you passed it, a chill would go through you.

Sometimes there was a mist, but only if the humidity and temps outside were extremely high, so again, I think there is a natural answer to that.

Edited by 55fan

The previous two things were things I wrote about in the thread referenced before.

This one I didn't share at that time.

I used to work in a factory. The machines were lined up, six in a row down the middle in sets of two, and other machines along the walls.

When you worked in the middle set of two, you would often feel like someone was right behind you peering over your shoulder. You'd turn and no one would be there. After a couple of weeks, I would spin suddenly, and still no one would be there.

The supervisor, Joe, saw me do it once and came over. He said that they never tell new people about the phenomena; they just watch and see if it effects them. He said everyone feels that way when they're working at that station.

One of the work stations involved climbing a ladder up to a platform. You could see out over the whole place. Sometimes I had to wait for the machine to catch up, so I'd look over the railing. I'd watch the people at the middle machines, and if I watched long enough, they'd do the spinning around thing.

The company bought a new building and we moved out of that one. They tried to sell it, but only managed to rent out the office space. They donated the factory area to the local food pantry for storage and assembling of food packs.

Many years later, Joe and I were talking about the old plant with a new worker. We described the feeling, but hadn't mentioned where the old plant was located. She said she'd experienced the same thing when she volunteered at the food pantry.

We got her to pin-point the location in the building, and it was the same one. She said the food pantry people have the same issue.

What if you found yourself trapped within the inner workings of your own mind? How long would it take for you to find the way out? how many twists and turns before realizing you've been lost all along? how long before the void eats away your sanity and leaves nothing but sorrow and despair? Will the echo of your footsteps be infinite testament of your passing through this world, or will they just vanish into oblivion? How long before you realize you've reached a dead end and what wouldl you sacrifice to leave this place? will you take a "leap of faith" hoping to wake up before you hit the ground, or does that sudden feel of the worst us yet to come kicks in? will you wake up to our reality or will you be forever doomed to relive this test until the end of times... will you still take the risk?

Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

Edited by NerveDamage

This topic is right up my street, and outside of this community, I was the co-founder and current admin for a long running paranormal research and discussion forum that has now evolved into a weekly radio broadcast on a popular talk radio network. The guy I originally found the site with is the host and it's like a poor man's version of Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell, he interviews people weekly, from authors, to cryptid and UFO witnesses, and even Native American Shamans.

I'm at work so I can't divulge too deep right now, but i'll post up some stories and experiences in the coming days, and the root of where my interest was founded.

Have you checked the Slenderman creepy pastas on youtube?

I'm not sure if you're aware of the origins of slenderman but it's a pretty interesting story. There was a thread very similar to this one at somethingawful forums. Some really really good stories were in there, both allegedly real and made up (side note: skin walkers is a phenomenon that scared the s*** out of me reading through those posts, ill have to elaborate on it later). Anyway one of the made up stories was slenderman, and it took off in that thread. A lot of people started making photoshops of what he could look like, and what originally was one story from one person became tons of stories from many people. Within a few years it was a huge internet sensation and now we have rumors that it will be the focus of the next American Horror Story.

Also on the topic of slenderman there's a really really good YouTube series called marble hornets that focuses on slender man. Check it out

I'm not sure if you're aware of the origins of slenderman but it's a pretty interesting story. There was a thread very similar to this one at somethingawful forums. Some really really good stories were in there, both allegedly real and made up (side note: skin walkers is a phenomenon that scared the s*** out of me reading through those posts, ill have to elaborate on it later). Anyway one of the made up stories was slenderman, and it took off in that thread. A lot of people started making photoshops of what he could look like, and what originally was one story from one person became tons of stories from many people. Within a few years it was a huge internet sensation and now we have rumors that it will be the focus of the next American Horror Story.

Also on the topic of slenderman there's a really really good YouTube series called marble hornets that focuses on slender man. Check it out

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about, which is also called Alternate Reality Game (ARG), I started with the lost pages and The Arrival videogames, then went on and watched the entire first season of Marble Hornets. There's also a Movie.

158613-162780.jpg

Slenderman-irl.jpg

Edited by NerveDamage

As for the skinwalkers:

When going through the scary stuff thread at the aforementioned somethingawful, it was like everyone who was a member had a story to tell. Some were related to ghosts or poltergeist activity, some were alien related, some were supposedly real experiences, some were stories.

But one creepy pattern began to emerge from a handful of the stories. These particular stories shares many little details in common, and while it wasn't obvious at first, after someone had pointed it out it became very clear. Many of these stories had to do with being chased by humanoid creatures with coyote or wolf heads, or even humans that turn into predatory animals. Most of them took place in the Southwest, although a few were scattered elsewhere. A handful of stories even referenced one or a few people who seemed to be somewhat knowledgable about the beasts but refused to talk about them. A couple of them had to do with local Indian tribes. All unique stories from different posters.

Then a poster commented that it seems like several of the stories were skinwalker incidents. He went on to explain that skinwalkers were a Navajo legend that went beyond just typical ghost stories. It was taboo to even speak of them, because one of their abilities is to know whenever they're being talked about. To speak of them puts a target on your head. Anyway, the legend goes that a skinwalker was or may still be a member of a Navajo tribe who went through a series of rituals to gain the power of transforming into an animal, or to take an animal's ability (like run 40mph or fly like an owl). He didn't mention the details of the ritual other than the last step supposedly involves killing a loved one or family member, after which they can wear the skin of an animal they kill and take their identity. After going back through the stories again and connecting them all to this skinwalker lore that many of these posters allegedly had no knowledge of was haunting. I wish I could find some of those stories cuz going through them collectively and seeing all the similarities really gave me the creeps. I think I spent like 3 hours late one night just terrifying myself reading through that thread.

And for those of you who like to read spooky stories, I love killing time on reddit/nosleep.

I HATE no sleep.

If they were to classify them in their own fiction/non-fiction sub reddits, I would like it. I enjoy reading scary spooky stuff, but I don't like investing my time in made up ghost stories. And they all drag on so damn long, starting off intriguing (as long as you suspend disbelief) only to turn into the most unbelievable, clichéd horror movie fall backs that they possibly could.

I like hearing things people have actually experienced, not reworkings of horror stories that have been written/filmed thousands of times. Ha. That sub reddit severely pisses me off.

I'm also interested in cryptids, or creepy creatures, like ghosts, skin walkers, chimeras, chupacabras and all that. But mixing them like you've actually had encounters with them into fictionalized stories annoys me when I go into it thinking it actually happened.

I don't get scared by made up stories, what gives me the creeps is the stuff that could be true, or leads credence to something truly unknown.

Creepy pasta is fun when I want to read a scary story, but that's not scary, they're cool. And that's what makes me so mad about nosleep, like I don't want to read half a book about something I'm interested in hearing real stories about that's Competely made up. its like reading fan fiction, sometimes I want to appreciate the story telling of an unknown author, but if I'm looking to actually be creeped out, I want actual experiences.

Ya know what Im saying?

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

See, I just assume all of the stories in nosleep are fiction. I love reading horror fiction, and while you have to wade through a lot of mediocre clichéd stories, there have been some real gems. Some people have even gotten book deals out of it. But if you don't like fiction then it's definitely not the place for you.

When I was growing up, my grandpa used to get "Fate" magazine which was essentially the creepypasta reader's digest. We used to have a blast reading through all the spooky stories.

See, I just assume all of the stories in nosleep are fiction. I love reading horror fiction, and while you have to wade through a lot of mediocre clichéd stories, there have been some real gems. Some people have even gotten book deals out of it. But if you don't like fiction then it's definitely not the place for you.

When I was growing up, my grandpa used to get "Fate" magazine which was essentially the creepypasta reader's digest. We used to have a blast reading through all the spooky stories.

That's the thing though, I do like horror fiction. Some of the writerstwhile are damned talented and they don't try to play it off as true. In those cases I enjoy it for the content, it's not gonna creep me out though.

I hate it when it's under the guise of possibly being true.

Is there any horror fiction you like jim jam? That actually spooks you? Fave novels, authors?

With horror fiction, for me, a good author can paint a picture that sticks with you long after you think it should. So even if the story itself falls short, or if the book is great but doesn't have a satisfactory ending (looking at you, Mr. King), there are often "scenes" that I find will linger after dark in the back of your mind. That's usually my issue with movie adaptations of horror novels--the version you see on the screen can rarely live up to the picture you've painted (and scared yourself with) in your head.

But I could talk about books for hours lol, and I don't want to derail the thread. Maybe some day I'll get the lady balls to post about some of my darker experiences...

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

BoS do you play videogames? there are some gems out there like Alan Wake, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Life is Strange, that aside of giving great gametime, also have amazing stories that stick to you even after you finished the games and might make you come back to them. Have you played any of them JImmy or any of you guys?

Edited by NerveDamage

BoS do you play videogames? there are some gems out there like Alan Wake, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Life is Strange, that aside of giving great gametime, also have amazing stories that stick to you even after you finished the games and might make you come back to them. Have you played any of them JImmy or any of you guys?

I do some, but haven't really done any horror gaming since the days of the old PC classics like Undying and the like. On modern systems I prefer RPGs on the rare occasions I have a chunk of time to really dedicate to playing. I'm a FF nut for the most part. I did play the demo for Life is Strange and really liked it.

I don't dislike horror fiction at all, but it doesn't scare me or creep me out. Ha.

Id just much rather read people's actual experiences.

Now I'm determined to think of a book that will scare you :lol:

Fear is funny that way. Everyone's different.

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

I haven't wallowed around the horror fiction genre too much but the stories that had the most lasting effect had some element of relatability to my life, even if in very vague ways. The psychosis story I linked earlier, for example. No paranormal or totally off the wall things happen in that story, unless you want to interpret it that way. And the whole theme of the story is whether this guy is overanalyzing seemingly random coincidences that he discovers in his life, or is there really some bigger sinister motive that he's unraveling? The context of that story can be applied to anyone's life; there's that element that we can appreciate because from one perspective at least, it's all bits of reality that doesn't take any effort to believe. It's everyday stuff. And after reading it, if you can relate to any of the paranoia, all that every day stuff will make you hate being alone.