• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

frankgrimes

Players Tribune: John Scott A Guy Like me

Rate this topic

I've seen this posted in the All-Star thread butI think it deserves it's own thread because the ASG thread will be full with ASG talk saturday.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

Highlight

But at the same time: this isn’t Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I’m not some random person off the street, and I didn’t win a golden ticket to “play hockey with the stars.” I won an internet fan vote, sure. And at some point, without question, it was a joke. It might even finish as a joke. But it didn’t start as one. It started with a very small pool, out of a very small pool, out of the very, very smallest pool of hockey players in the world: NHLers. That was the vote. A fan vote, an internet vote — but a vote from among the 700 or so best hockey players in North American professional sports.

And I’m one of them.

If the league thought this was an embarrassment, pretty much all of the players I’ve encountered have thought otherwise. I’ve gotten texts from so many guys saying the same thing: “You should go.”

And that didn’t happen because of the internet. I busted my ass to be one of them. I’ve skated every day since I was three years old to be one of them. I’ve persevered through Juniors roster cuts, Alaskan bus rides, Advanced Dynamics exams, and — yes — fights, to be one of them.

But I’m one of them. And that means a lot to me.

It means a lot to my family.

So when someone from the NHL calls me and says, “Do you think this is something your kids would be proud of?”

… That’s when they lost me.

Goes to show you what a bunch of mean spirited, disgusting idiots the NHL has in their front-office and what a SOB Don Maloney was in that whole situation. I hope the players help him score some goals as a big F U to the NHL.

I'm also loving the phrase " a guy like me" - whatever people may think about John Scott and his role the fact is, he is one of 700 NHL players, period. If some suit wearing idiot would have told me on how to be a dad and what MY kids might be proud of I don't know if I would have responded as friendly as Scott did, so huge kudos to him.

Smart and great guy NHL needs more John Scotts and less idiots in their headquarter.

Edited by frankgrimes

The thing is though....he calls himself in the group of one of the 700 best players in the world....I don't really agree with that. There are many, many, many players better than him at hockey outside of the NHL, he's there for a very specific reason, not because he's one of the best 700.

The thing is though....he calls himself in the group of one of the 700 best players in the world....I don't really agree with that. There are many, many, many players better than him at hockey outside of the NHL, he's there for a very specific reason, not because he's one of the best 700.

This was my thought as well. Kudos for being in the big show, but it's not due to hockey skills.

Well that might be true, but how many of them want to tell that to John Scott in person?

:lol:

Hey Echolalia, Wanna help this non-hockey playing dude draft up a list of seven hundred current players from any level of hockey that are better than John Scott so I can present the list to him, in person, the next time the Coyotes are in town?

...oh wait. He plays for the Habs now... or not really?

Edited by e_prime

I didn't read the whole article, but the quote above said "among the 700 or so best hockey players in North American professional sports."... not "one of the best 700 players in the world."

Edited by barabbas16

Hey Echolalia, Wanna help this non-hockey playing dude draft up a list of seven hundred current players from any level of hockey that are better than John Scott so I can present the list to him, in person, the next time the Coyotes are in town?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm

Hope this helps, I don't know if there's a printer friendly version but I think it will suffice

Edited by NerveDamage

Great read. All star game is a sideshow, John Scott playing in it is a sideshow but considering the NHL tried to completely screw him over I'm glad he's going. Get rid of the all star game, give these guys 5-7 days off to recharge and we would get better hockey the last 30-35 games.

Great read. All star game is a sideshow, John Scott playing in it is a sideshow but considering the NHL tried to completely screw him over I'm glad he's going. Get rid of the all star game, give these guys 5-7 days off to recharge and we would get better hockey the last 30-35 games.

Exactly Scott did nothing wrong and he is probably the only guy who really enjoys playing there. As a "star" player I would make sure he gets to score some goals and win the car for him this might be the time of his NHL life.

I just find it very easy to relate to such a down-to-earth against all odds kind of guy, who not only happens to be a tremendous athlete but also a very smart man.

Agreed, Jimmy. He was just trying to make the best of a situation he didn't seek, then just accepted and embraced it and the league goes bush-league. Reading what the NHL was saying trying to get him to bow out, that crosses a serious line, IMHO. I hope he has a hell of a time at the game.

Edited by TheXym

Just found this freep article on John Scott. Great read and makes you love the guy even more (if you didn't already).

"I did just enough to get myself a scholarship to play hockey at Michigan Tech University," he wrote. "The way I saw it, I would never make the NHL, but I’d have an engineering degree. By 30, I’d be sitting in an office at GM back in sleepy Ontario, in my suit, and happy as hell about it."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/01/29/john-scott-pavel-datsyuk-nicklas-lidstrom/79529626/

Exactly Scott did nothing wrong and he is probably the only guy who really enjoys playing there. As a "star" player I would make sure he gets to score some goals and win the car for him this might be the time of his NHL life.

I just find it very easy to relate to such a down-to-earth against all odds kind of guy, who not only happens to be a tremendous athlete but also a very smart man.

And let's hope it stays that way and he doesn't end up like many of these punch drunk enforcers who end up with terrible mental health problems and addictions. I agree if I was on his team I would make it my mission to make sure he is MVP.

Agreed, Jimmy. He was just trying to make the best of a situation he didn't seek, then just accepted and embraced it and the league goes bush-league. Reading what the NHL was saying trying to get him to bow out, that crosses a serious line, IMHO. I hope he has a hell of a time at the game.

Yeah, when they brought up "do you think your kids will be proud of this," that's when I would've said eff you, and done whatever I could out of spite. The dude already admitted that he didn't deserve to be there for his skill, and tried to get the fans not to vote for him. Bringing a man's family and pride into it is messed up.

well, to be honest, it is not so much due to respect to the guy, but rather disgust feeling towards these ******* idiots who run NHL and some teams management as well

I don't know how anyone can not be cheering for this guy right now. I'm absolutely thrilled this went so well for him given everything that's happened. It may have been a silly situation, but he made the best of it, and in the end, it couldn't have ended more perfectly.

What happened should be remembered as what an All-Star game should be. The fans wrote Scott in, and while some at the NHL didn't like it, what it turned into was a great PR move. The NHL is going to learn from this mistake and keep the fan vote in as part of the All-Star game. It also made Scott a household name. He won't get a multi-million dollar contract to play hockey, but what he will get are opportunities down the road. He could go into broadcasting or some other job if he gets tired of playing in the minors. He has charisma and sometimes that is all you need to be successful. Most people when they thought of John Scott before was something like what you would see in the movie "Goon". A brainless idiot that just loves to beat the crap out of people. Here was a guy that obviously wasn't top tier NHL talent, but he loves the game and it shows.

Well, the fans didn't really vote him in. Most fans jumped on his bandwagon the last couple weeks and soaked it all in with him, but the vast majority of fans didn't vote him in. He was voted in by a very small group of people that arranged to have multiple votes a day cast (someone more tech savvy than I can probably explain it).

There is a big difference here than simple fan voting. They'll keep fan voting, but they'll ensure that each IP address can only vote once. If everyone was limited to one vote each, John Scott would not have made it into the game.

What happened should be remembered as what an All-Star game should be. The fans wrote Scott in, and while some at the NHL didn't like it, what it turned into was a great PR move. The NHL is going to learn from this mistake and keep the fan vote in as part of the All-Star game. It also made Scott a household name. He won't get a multi-million dollar contract to play hockey, but what he will get are opportunities down the road. He could go into broadcasting or some other job if he gets tired of playing in the minors. He has charisma and sometimes that is all you need to be successful. Most people when they thought of John Scott before was something like what you would see in the movie "Goon". A brainless idiot that just loves to beat the crap out of people. Here was a guy that obviously wasn't top tier NHL talent, but he loves the game and it shows.

haha brainless but lovable idiot. Do you think Seann William Scott will be up to play John's role in the upcoming "A Guy Like Me -the story of John Scott" ? They could cast Danny Devito as Bettman.

Edited by NerveDamage