• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

Bettman signed through 2022

Rate this topic

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14685078/gary-bettman-previously-signed-six-year-extension-remain-nhl-commissioner-2022

Bettman signed a contract through 2022, he confirmed in an interview Sunday on the NHL Network before the All-Star Game. The deal was signed in September but was first reported and confirmed by sources Sunday.

He gets a lot of flak and some for good reason, but the league has never been more successful.

The more I think about it, I really don't have any major beefs with Bettman. Surprising a bit, but I think he's done a pretty good job with the league when you consider what his job entails. -

He's an easy target and easy to hate for various reasons:

- he's the commish of a pro sports league, that always comes with some dislike, part of the role

- his delivery / speaking does not come off very well sometimes, or a lot of times. He annoys me for sure, but not sure about dislike as I don't know too much about him beyond what you see in the public (never met him). I must say though, sometimes, very good speakers and people with charisma aren't always what they seem so...

- lockouts - again, easy to point the finger at him hear and dislike him, but I've tended to step back and think that those are really issues between the players and the owners....take a side there if you want, but he's just the guy doing his best for his employers (owners)

- not a "hockey guy" - there will always be people that simply will never give him a chance because he didn't grow up playing and loving the game (I assume he didn't). I share some of that as well, but I think people are a bit too hard on him for that and in reality, it doesn't matter in terms of the job he needs to do.

Anyway, he's just the easy scapegoat most of the time with anything gone wrong (John Scott incident as well) - not sure how much Bettman had to do with some of the ugly stuff though, so pointing the finger at him may be misinformed as well. When it comes to the game itself, how it's played, any rule changes, etc., Bettman is really just one person involved in all of that and he doesn't necessarily carry a ton of weight in those decisions.

He's employed by the owners, in part to take the heat for their decisions. He gets blamed by fans for the lockouts, but they wouldn't have happened without the blessing of the owners. Under his watch, the game is more popular and profitable than it's ever been, and the players can complain about the cap and escrow all they want, but not that long ago most teams weren't spending close to what they're currently required to spend just to get to the floor, and players are making more now across the board than they ever have.

He's employed by the owners, in part to take the heat for their decisions. He gets blamed by fans for the lockouts, but they wouldn't have happened without the blessing of the owners. Under his watch, the game is more popular and profitable than it's ever been, and the players can complain about the cap and escrow all they want, but not that long ago most teams weren't spending close to what they're currently required to spend just to get to the floor, and players are making more now across the board than they ever have.

This 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk