• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

9 (NINE!) player trade involving Phanuef

Rate this topic

IMO....i can't see Stammer choosing to play for Babs. I think superstars tend not to want to get into situations where their new coach has no bones about doing any of the following.....running him into the ground and making him practice like a rookie fighting for a roster spot day-in and day-out, leaving him out to dry in the press, getting in his famous "dog house"...typical Babs stuff (which is NOT bad...just Babs style). Stammer is in the drivers seat in every way. He'll have lots of options. Lots of better options in terms of chances of winning a cup sooner rather than later. I just don't think superstars want to tolerate Babs style if they've got other options. I know he's played under Babs with the Olympics, but I consider that a completely non-related situation. He HAD to play for Babs in the Olympics. The Olympics are more about representing your country out of duty and pride, rather than playing 80+ games every year.

Stamkos never played for Babs. He broke his leg the year he would have made the Olympic team. He didn't play in 2010 either.

I thought the Leafs were stuck with Phaneuf. I think it's a good trade for both teams.

Edit: I see talk about Stamkos to the Leafs. I have a hard time thinking he'll go there willingly. He was in the Stanley Cup Finals last year, why would he want to play in Toronto now?

Edited by Barrie

I thought the Leafs were stuck with Phaneuf. I think it's a good trade for both teams.

Edit: I see talk about Stamkos to the Leafs. I have a hard time thinking he'll go there willingly. He was in the Stanley Cup Finals last year, why would he want to play in Toronto now?

You know I wonder this every time they land a big free agent or someone willing waives a no trade clause to go there.

Other than the very distant past what separates Toronto from Phoenix or Florida?

You know I wonder this every time they land a big free agent or someone willing waives a no trade clause to go there.

Other than the very distant past what separates Toronto from Phoenix or Florida?

I would think due to weather and the media, most Free Agents would pick Phoenix and Florida over Toronto. Why wouldn't players enjoy playing golf on off days? Until they build through the draft, there isn't a reason to play for the Leafs.

$$$$$$$

Those other teams haven't spent to the cap in the last few years and Toronto tends to overpay guys.

A lot of what your saying is pure speculation and conspiracy theories people have come up with about Babcock. I've never heard of anyone except Mike Commodore b**** about Babs. He's just a stern coach but so was Bowman. And I never saw any Detroit superstar mistreated by Babs (Pav, Hank, Lidstrom) so I'm not sure about this whole dog house theory for Stamkos.

Well, I have heard Hudler state shortly after he went to Calgary that he was glad for the fresh start, and in Detroit he somehow ended up in the coaches dog house (unfairly of course), and that he never was able to really get out of it. Legwand alluded to same. Madano told Puck Daddy that at his age, he was struggling to keep up with the rigorous practice schedule that he wasn't used to in Dallas....coaches in Dallas cut him a little slack due to his age and grind on his body.

Are all of the above superstars....no. Madano was on the 18th hole of his career. But still, there has been talk about the way Babs runs his teams. Lastly, and I've heard Mickey and John Keating comment that speculation/rumor is that we weren't able to get some of the trades/free agents we had targeted due to Babs well-know hard ass approach....this was after the Sutter and Parise deal went down in Minni. I don't have any links to these articles or the video, but I did hear and see the above.

So, some speculation, but there has been some of this stated by former players.

Again, with so many options, IMO...I can't see Stammer going in that direction. Better options to win a cup elsewhere without the craziness of Toronto expectations and media, and a coach that could potentially be a hard ass.

I would. Having a chance to potentially lead the "Maple Leaf Revolution" which incidentally is also his hometown team and the most popular franchise in hockey's biggest country, and make a s*** ton of money doing it? (and maybe also have Matthews to play alongside next year)

Plus with Dion gone there should be a vacancy for the Captain slot aye?

Seriously a lot of stuff here just looks like a good set up for Stamkos.

So, he was close, just missing Edmonton, Senators, Canadiens, and Leafs.

I still wonder if anyone has hit all seven in a career. (modern area, obviously)

Brent Ashton.

Played for numerous Canadian based teams: Canucks, Nordiques, Flames, and Jets...Was also a Red Wing.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Plus with Dion gone there should be a vacancy for the Captain slot aye?

Seriously a lot of stuff here just looks like a good set up for Stamkos.

However Stammer has said that he wants to win another Cup... which even with Stamkos is still a long way off for Toronto.

$$$$$$$

Those other teams haven't spent to the cap in the last few years and Toronto tends to overpay guys.

True, they spend top $ for mid level talent.

However Stammer has said that he wants to win another Cup... which even with Stamkos is still a long way off for Toronto.

He may do what a lot of hockey players do, play in Toronto at the end of his career.

Phaneuf has to be one of the most disappointing players ever.

When he first played in Calgary, almost everyone thought this guy would win a few Norris trophies in his career. Since then, I don't remember if he's ever even been nominated for the trophy. I'm not saying he's been a bust, but he certainly hasn't lived up to the early expectations.

True, they spend top $ for mid level talent.

He may do what a lot of hockey players do, play in Toronto at the end of his career.

It's true, in the past they have spent top dollar for mid-level talent.

I will say that Shanny and the braintrust do seem to know what they're doing when it comes to getting rid of those contracts that have been weighing them down. Clarkson -- gone. Kessel -- gone. Phaneuf -- gone.

Sure, they may have taken equal salary back in the form of players that they don't really want or need out of that deal, but those dollars won't be around as long as the Phaneuf contract would be.

Now, Phaneuf can now go and be what he is... a very good, albeit *ahem* highly paid, 3 - 4 guy.

As far as Stammer. Absolutely. He should sign a shorter contract so that once TO gets themselves together, he can go off and play there.

It's not as if the dude can't and won't make money for the rest of his career. Just depends on how much he wants to win vs. how flexible he is when it comes to dollars and term.

Phaneuf has to be one of the most disappointing players ever.

When he first played in Calgary, almost everyone thought this guy would win a few Norris trophies in his career. Since then, I don't remember if he's ever even been nominated for the trophy. I'm not saying he's been a bust, but he certainly hasn't lived up to the early expectations.

Could be. Or, he could be a really good player that hasn't had enough talent around him to win, and therefore gets zero recognition for being great. Stevie Y was almost traded to Ottowa in 1995 as some of the Detroit brass thought he wasn't a winner. Great player, just not a winner. Story has it that deal was almost done for us to get Yashin for Stevie...straight up. Mr. and Mrs. "I" are to have said to have stepped in and squashed the deal. It wasn't until we got Stevie supporting talent around him that we started winning, and he was finally recognized as an elite player and leader. Without the Russians, Shanny, etc...Stevie could have had the same label put on him as Phaneuf currently has on him. Matts Sundin and a few other above average players aren't exactly a great supporting cast over the years...as of late that includes Kessel, Lupul, JVR, etc...are good, but their not Fedorov, Lids, Shanny, Vladdy, Igor, Murphy, etc....