• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

The Petr Mrazek Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

You could say that about pretty much any goalie in today's league. The list of top 25 save percentage leaders in NHL history is full of nothing but current players (minus Hasek).

What Mrazek is doing is impressive, but I wouldn't bring NHL history into this when you look at the context.

FYI, Jimmy Howard is 18th all time in save percentage. See what I mean?

I didn't mean to compare them, the best GAA record is for a goalie that played 29 games, so it doesn't really count. I just gathered the stats I could find. that's why I put Sawchuck's gp in bold, trying to put it in perspective.

I didn't mean to compare them, the best GAA record is for a goalie that played 29 games, so it doesn't really count. I just gathered the stats I could find. that's why I put Sawchuck's gp in bold, trying to put it in perspective.

I know. I'm just frustrated at how skewed today's stats are in favor of these giant pad wearers.

My appreciation to Petr is thank you for being the goaltender I predicted you'd be 3-4 years ago and thank you, oh thank you for stealing Jimmy's #1 spot! Also something I hoped you would do and said it would happen about 3 years ago, got lambasted over and over, but damn feels good to be right! :ninja:

In all seriousness, I think thus far Petr has out performed what anyone thought he would be, that's for sure! From a fan standpoint this is the best thing that can happen, from a business standpoint, this is going to cost the Wings a ton of money come July! But if they can shed themselves of Jimmy's salary, it'll be fine.

Congrats Petr! Keep it up! 1.94 and .934.....amazing!

I believe Hasek had the best save percentage ever as of recently, but Rask and Schneider have passed him (although you can put a fast asterisk next to that because of the era they play in).

I just went on hockey-reference.com and it doesn't appear he ever led the league in save percentage or GAA while he was a Red Wing.

I stand corrected. Good info.

This kid will lead us to a Stanley Cup in the near future.

I feel like teams nowadays build around the goalie. There's so many top goalies that you don't really need a big name to win the Cup. That's why Price and Lundqvist don't have a Cup ring but Crawford and Niemi do.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I know. I'm just frustrated at how skewed today's stats are in favor of these giant pad wearers.

Your not wrong, stats are definitely skewed with the decrease in scoring. I prefer to look at how good a player was in his era compared to his peers, but with that being said, goalies now a days are much better athletes then the goalies of the past.

Bottom line, Mrazek is the real deal and if he keeps at this pace could be one of our best ever. Though he is a long way away from that.

he is the man def the best goalie we have had since dom

Too early to proclaim that. But I do agree that everything points towards it. Let it sort itself out for a couple of seasons. And rejoice. He makes us win.

I think our D in their own end is underrated on here. Way better than previous years. They're usually always there to clear the second chances

lol, what do you mean?

He has been nothing short of amazing. Especially when you consider how pathetic this team is on defense. Watching guys like Smith, Green, Kindl and Ericson turn it over game after game is so frustrating. I really wish Smith would get moved to forward.

Oh wait, there it is.

Way to represent the Wings!

Petr Mrazek has crashed Braden Holtby’s Vezina party

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/petr-mrazek-has-crashed-braden-holtby-s-vezina-party-190440841.html

At one point this season, quite recently, the Vezina Trophy race was a sprint to a coronation: Braden Holtby, Washington Capitals goaltender and pupil of that Netminding Yoda Mitch Korn, had the trophy in the bag.
He had the NHL lead in wins. As he did for goals-against average. As he did for save percentage.
As for Feb. 12, he still holds onto one of those leads: Wins, with 35, four more than Corey Crawford of the Chicago Blackhawks. That’s 14 more wins than Petr Mrazek of the Detroit Red Wings – Holtby has started 44 games, Mrazek has 34 – but hey would you look at that: The Red Wings goalie leads the NHL in save percentage (.934) and GAA (1.94) heading into Friday night’s game hosting the Colorado Avalanche.*
Edited by RedWingsRox

If he wins.. Mr. Holland has quite a deal to make even if he's an RFA. Mrazek will get max dollars possible at his age and experience. They won't have any choice but to package Howard (and worst case scenario retain salary). We won't be able to afford a maxed salary goaltender and a $5.5 mill backup and still have to resign a bunch of players.. I don't even see us being able to resign a couple of guys like Miller or Helm. But I'm not sure of the math.. I'd have to go back and calculate.

Will be an interesting summer.

Edited by kickazz

If he wins.. Mr. Holland has quite a deal to make even if he's an RFA. Mrazek will get max dollars possible at his age and experience. They won't have any choice but to package Howard (and worst case scenario retain salary). We won't be able to afford a maxed salary goaltender and a $5.5 mill backup and still have to resign a bunch of players.. I don't even see us being able to resign a couple of guys like Miller or Helm. But I'm not sure of the math.. I'd have to go back and calculate.

Will be an interesting summer.

Yep. No more bridge contracts after the ELCs expire anymore. It's straight to the big money, which sucks because young players can regress. Not saying Mrazek will, but that's what the bridge deals were for, in part. Mrazek will get a nice payday, Vezina or not. Howard def needs to be dumped in the offseason no matter what, like you said. Bring up someone from GR or sign a journeyman to back up Mrazek.

Wings haven't had a goalie in Vezina talks since Osgood in the mid 90's. Awesome to see Mrazek in there.

Howard always was a goner, regardless of his performance this year. Mrazek is simply too good, and you don't trade a bright young goaltender who promises to be the best goalie in decades for your team for a 30 year old goalie who has his good times and his bad times.

And for that reason, I think Howard waives his NTC. He knows he's finished here, no matter how well he plays, so I'm sure he's willing to go to almost any team that will let him start, or at least play 50/50.

Yep. No more bridge contracts after the ELCs expire anymore. It's straight to the big money, which sucks because young players can regress. Not saying Mrazek will, but that's what the bridge deals were for, in part. Mrazek will get a nice payday, Vezina or not. Howard def needs to be dumped in the offseason no matter what, like you said. Bring up someone from GR or sign a journeyman to back up Mrazek.

Wings haven't had a goalie in Vezina talks since Osgood in the mid 90's. Awesome to see Mrazek in there.

We literally had one last year http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/top-10-vezina-candidates-of-2014-15-rinne-rules/

5. Jimmy Howard, Detroit Red Wings

Howard has had a few rough years of late, but this season, everything is working for the 30-year-old netminder.

Backstopping one of the most storied franchises in NHL history – and during a time some expected them to take a step back, no less – Howard is posting the league’s fifth best GAA, is eighth in wins, and has two shutouts. Now, if only the Red Wings could convert a few overtime and shootout games to victories, Howard could make a serious push at being the first Red Wings goaltender to win the Vezina since Terry Sawchuk in 1954-55, back when it was still given to the goaltender with the lowest GAA.

Edited by kliq

Yeah forgot Howard was doing that well last season till his injury.

Legace had a great regular season in '06. Was funny how he was offered a pretty substantial contract extension mid season but he didn't think it was enough and decided to wait Holland out for more. Then he crumbled in the playoffs and wanted to kill himself.