• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Price out for the year in MTL

Rate this topic

The same issue has plague Howard...These past few seasons of injuries seems to have derailed him - and having Mrazek playing as well as he has most likely effects Howard's confidence as well.

Unlike the Habs - we have a 'better' back-up.

LOL. Howard is not in the same league as Price. I feel Montreal could have broken through to the SCF either this year or a few years ago when he was hurt. Instead, they'll be lucky to make the playoffs, let alone the SCF.

Ouchhhh! Their record since he was sidelined only proves what most NHL hockey fans know, and most Canadiens fans keep trying to deny..that their team is nothing without Price. Sucks when your team is based around having an elite goaltender, and Ben Scrivens is your current starter. haha

After winning all those trophies last year you had a feeling a jinx was coming. Feel bad for Price - really hope he has a healthy recovering, guys a great goaltender and arguably the best in the world at the moment.

Edited by kickazz

After winning all those trophies last year you had a feeling a jinx was coming. Feel bad for Price - really hope he has a healthy recovering, guys a great goaltender and arguably the best in the world at the moment.

I remember another Canadians goalie winning the Hart and Vezina in 2002 and he was never the same after that.

LOL. Howard is not in the same league as Price. I feel Montreal could have broken through to the SCF either this year or a few years ago when he was hurt. Instead, they'll be lucky to make the playoffs, let alone the SCF.

He never said Howard was at the same level as Price, I don't think anyone would. What he said was that Howard went through something similar which he did. People forget that 1 year ago Howard's stat's were right up there with the other elite goalies of the NHL, and was involved in Vezina talk.

This right here.

Up until a few seasons ago Howard was one of the top 5 netminders in the league...Injuries combined with shoot-outs seem to have had an effect on him where now he's a back-up.

Holland would be doing him a favor if he was moved by the end of the month.

Right now Howard's career is just screaming for a fresh start. Not that Howard is at the level the following player was at, but I remember back in the early 2000's when Belfour left Dallas, he sucked in his last season there and Marty Turco took away the starting job. Some people were saying he was done, long story short he went to Toronto and completely revived his career. Dubnyk did it last year did in on Minny, too a much lesser degree Luongo/Florida, it happens quite frequently.

I remember another Canadians goalie winning the Hart and Vezina in 2002 and he was never the same after that.

Price has a lot more great seasons than Theodore had. No comparison. Theodore couldn't handle the pressure of playing in Montreal. Price has handled it better than anyone since Roy.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Like I said in another thread, I really hope Holland has been paying close attention to what the Leafs have been able to do over the past year, in regards to shedding contracts. Getting rid of Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf is no easy feat but they made it happen. Nearly $20M in awful contracts off the books. It may take some creativity but trading Howard along with his entire contract is definitely doable...

Like I said in another thread, I really hope Holland has been paying close attention to what the Leafs have been able to do over the past year, in regards to shedding contracts. Getting rid of Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf is no easy feat but they made it happen. Nearly $20M in awful contracts off the books. It may take some creativity but trading Howard along with his entire contract is definitely doable...

Very good point! 1 Year ago people were calling the Clarkson contract the worst in the NHL and the Leafs were able to get rid of it without retaining anything cap wise. If Holland is patient, he will be able to make his move.

Price has a lot more great seasons than Theodore had. No comparison. Theodore couldn't handle the pressure of playing in Montreal. Price has handled it better than anyone since Roy.

No comparison? This is probably the best comparison possible.

Both goalies came into Montreal with a pedigree, and were considered "stud" goaltenders

Price Won the Vezina & Hart at the age of 27, Theodore won the Vezina and Hart at the age of 26.

Sure Price had more career wins at the time of the win, but these two definitely have similarities.

Not saying Price is going to turn out like Theodore, and not saying both situations are the exact same, but you cannot say "No comparison".

No comparison? This is probably the best comparison possible.

Both goalies came into Montreal with a pedigree, and were considered "stud" goaltenders

Price Won the Vezina & Hart at the age of 27, Theodore won the Vezina and Hart at the age of 26.

Sure Price had more career wins at the time of the win, but these two definitely have similarities.

Not saying Price is going to turn out like Theodore, and not saying both situations are the exact same, but you cannot say "No comparison".

Well put! I wasn't talking about stats or the pressure of being the starting goalie in a huge hockey market, or that Price will crash and burn. Just saying Theodore was an elite goalie just coming off winning those awards. Price is doing the exact same now. I'm 99.9% sure he won't suffer the same fate as Theodore though. .

Very good point! 1 Year ago people were calling the Clarkson contract the worst in the NHL and the Leafs were able to get rid of it without retaining anything cap wise. If Holland is patient, he will be able to make his move.

With Clarkson they took back Horton. LTIR is better than nothing, but it's not really the same as shedding a contract. Kessel wasn't really that bad a contract. Yeah, it's a lot and long term, but he's only 28 and he's pretty consistently been one of the top scorers in the league. And they retained $1.2M. The Phanuef deal was decent, but they still took back like $9.5M in bad contracts through next year.

So yeah, I hope he is paying close attention to Toronto. Close enough to realize we probably will have to retain some, so we don't miss an opportunity looking for a better one.

With Clarkson they took back Horton. LTIR is better than nothing, but it's not really the same as shedding a contract. Kessel wasn't really that bad a contract. Yeah, it's a lot and long term, but he's only 28 and he's pretty consistently been one of the top scorers in the league. And they retained $1.2M. The Phanuef deal was decent, but they still took back like $9.5M in bad contracts through next year.

So yeah, I hope he is paying close attention to Toronto. Close enough to realize we probably will have to retain some, so we don't miss an opportunity looking for a better one.

I fully understand the Clarkson/Horton situation. My point is that Clarkson looked like a player who had zero chance of being moved but it was done with some clever thinking on Toronto's part.

I believe Detroit can do the same with Howard (clever thinking, not trading for an injured guy) if they wait and find a situation that they can exploit. Its all about timing in these situations. FOr example, maybe a goalie goes down from a contender before the trade deadline and Holland essentially give them Howard as a salary dump and then lets said team deal with his contract in the off-season. Not saying this will happen, but again my point is to wait for the right situation. Imagine a team like Chicago if Crawford tore an ACL, or a team like LA if Quick tore an ACL etc.