• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

TSN: Flints Owner Nilsen relieved of his duties by David Branch

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/firebirds-owner-suspended-after-firings-1.439721

A successful Norwegian businessman, Nilsen purchased the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers last year for a reported $8 million from Carolina Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos Jr., and moved the franchise north to Flint. The purchase was approved by the OHL on Feb. 2, 2015.

Nilsen fired Gruden and Karpa, who both played in the NHL, following a Nov. 8 win because his son was not receiving enough playing time. Gruden and Karpa were each given new three-year contracts when they were reinstated on Nov. 9 after Nilsen met with Branch. It is unclear what led to Wednesday’s dismissal.

“The Ontario League takes the health and well-being of our players very seriously,” Branch wrote in a statement on Thursday. “The recent actions by the owner of the Flint Firebirds, Rolf Nilsen, and his representatives on the management team and coaching staff is of great concern as they pose a serious threat to our commitment to our players and families.”

Wow just wow what is wrong with this guy? I get it he is the owner but you still have to respect the labor law and the well being of your coaching stuff, players can't fire, rehire them all the time. If I were a player I would want out immediately, wonder how long Saarjajevi will put up with this crap.

I'd say the Wings move him elsewhere next season. What I've been reading about the Firebirds makes the Johnstown Chiefs seem the the Detroit Red Wings by comparison.

I hope you are right because this is a gongshow and doesn't help the players at all they are losing important develpment time here

Hollanf already said that Saarijarvi will not be back in Flint next season. He will either go back to Finland for another season or two or start his pro career with one of the Wings affiliates, Griffins or Walleye. I think he will get a look once the AHL / ECHL playoffs start, and they will make their decision from there...