• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

Where Are The Point Getters?

Rate this topic

So aside from Larkin & Zetterburg who can consistently produce points on this team? For years they've boasted about all the young talent they've developed but really who gives them offense aside from Larkin? Nyquest & Tatar where are you know that I need you?

All I do is look at the daily scores and see that this team can't score enough to win even when they have a 3rd period lead that's given they blow it and lose in OT!

Unfortunately, they don't have anyone that consistently puts up points. No one on the team is even close to 1 ppg...Datsyuk is closest at 0.76, Zetterberg at 0.67 and Larkin at 0.66. No high end scorers, but maybe enough modest scorers? No so sure. Scoring is definitely a problem for the team, but they have still be relatively successful so far.

So aside from Larkin & Zetterburg who can consistently produce points on this team? For years they've boasted about all the young talent they've developed but really who gives them offense aside from Larkin? Nyquest & Tatar where are you know that I need you?

All I do is look at the daily scores and see that this team can't score enough to win even when they have a 3rd period lead that's given they blow it and lose in OT!

Datsyuk.

But I get your point.

I was never that high on Nyquist or Tatar. To be honest I knew they would be secondary guys. I think a lot of people expected too much from them. What annoys me is the fact that Blashill has to continue to rely on Datsyuk and Zetterberg (they play over 20 min a game lately) which is ridiculous for guys their age.

So with a salary cap how are the Wings gonna ever be a cup contender again without atleast 2 front line point producers? Of their 4 Cups only the 1997 team lacked scoring and that was b/c some guys had down years.

I suspect the playoff run ends this season or sometime very soon unless Larkin becomes the Stevie Yzerman for this club b/c he is going to have to carry this club on his back and that may not be enough with nothing around him once Dat & Zet are gone.

Mantha and Frk will help. They are legit. Abdelkader, Tatar, and Nyquist have no business being on the top 2 lines. And Richards is completely inept 5 on 5. Holland continues to pick his butt tho. So we gotta watch boring hockey until Blash figures it out.

Mantha-Larkin-Frk

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Pulkkinen-Sheahan-Abdelkader

Glendening-Helm-Athanasiou

Frk and Pulkkinen are 2 right handed bombs for the pp. Dats and Z slot well on the left side. Larkin and Sheahan up tAbdelkader

DeKeyser-Quincey (24 mins)

Kronwall-Ericsson (20 mins)

Smith-Green (16 mins)

Kronwall-Dekeyser first pp.

Smith-Green 2nd pp.

MRAZEK

Datsyuk.

But I get your point.

I was never that high on Nyquist or Tatar. To be honest I knew they would be secondary guys. I think a lot of people expected too much from them. What annoys me is the fact that Blashill has to continue to rely on Datsyuk and Zetterberg (they play over 20 min a game lately) which is ridiculous for guys their age.

thats why i was entertianed with the fact of getting Staal but with him beinon g a Pending UFA is it really worth taking a risk

Mantha and Frk will help. They are legit. Abdelkader, Tatar, and Nyquist have no business being on the top 2 lines. And Richards is completely inept 5 on 5. Holland continues to pick his butt tho. So we gotta watch boring hockey until Blash figures it out.

Mantha-Larkin-Frk

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Pulkkinen-Sheahan-Abdelkader

Glendening-Helm-Athanasiou

Frk and Pulkkinen are 2 right handed bombs for the pp. Dats and Z slot well on the left side. Larkin and Sheahan up tAbdelkader

DeKeyser-Quincey (24 mins)

Kronwall-Ericsson (20 mins)

Smith-Green (16 mins)

Kronwall-Dekeyser first pp.

Smith-Green 2nd pp.

MRAZEK

Wtf had Frk ever done to make you think he is a top line nhler? What color is the sky in your world? I feel like it definitely isn't blue.

I think our lack of scoring has less to do with individual talent, and more to do with the system we need to use to win games. It's no secret, this team (like most) are at their best when they don't give any chances to the other team. To play this way, you generally aren't in a position to accumulate a lot of scoring chances - because unless the other team is Edmonton, most opportunities are coming from the perimeter or the PP.

To further that point: What's the biggest offensive difference between this season and last? We were still a below average 5 on 5 team last year, but our PP was cashing in at 23.5% - good enough for 2nd in the NHL. This season, we are 21st in the NHL at 17.5%. A staggering statistic considering we returned all 6 PP forwards from last year, and then added Mike Green and Brad Richards.

All in all, our roster needs a top pairing Defenceman before we need another forward. This makes a huge difference on 5 on 5 play and allows the forwards to play a more offensive game... Until then, we will continue to sit a guy like Teemu Pulkkinen because he can't play in a defensive minded system.

thats why i was entertianed with the fact of getting Staal but with him beinon g a Pending UFA is it really worth taking a risk

Staal is probably well past his prime. Maybe it's just Carolina and he just need a new team, but I wouldn't bet any Red Wings asset on that slim chance. Even if, there is his 8.25 million cap hit that we somehow have to fit. And I don't see how.

The problem we have with scoring comes from our defence. Our top 6 guys (Larkin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar and Abdelkader) represent 57% of our goals. After you get past their contributions of 30+ points, our next best point producer (Mike Green) has 21 points. In the past, our best point producers usually included the top line and top 2 Dmen. That is the biggest difference I see - the past several years there has been little offence from the D and it all falls on the forwards. If the defence can get shots through from the point, it should be easier for us to be more consistent with our scoring.

Guys,

If you havent picked up a streamsmart yet, then do it. I've been watching all the Grifs games, and I can tell you with certainty that Frk will be a better NHLer than Tatar and Nyquist. He plays with more speed and has a really nice shot from all over the ice. Tatar and Nyquist are good from 20 feet in. Pulkkinen is good from 20 feet out. Frk is good inside the blue line. He's faster and bigger than Nyquist, Tatar, and Pulks. Mantha and Frk are a couple guys to be excited about. They arent Larkin good, but they're still good.

I think our lack of scoring has less to do with individual talent, and more to do with the system we need to use to win games. It's no secret, this team (like most) are at their best when they don't give any chances to the other team. To play this way, you generally aren't in a position to accumulate a lot of scoring chances - because unless the other team is Edmonton, most opportunities are coming from the perimeter or the PP.

To further that point: What's the biggest offensive difference between this season and last? We were still a below average 5 on 5 team last year, but our PP was cashing in at 23.5% - good enough for 2nd in the NHL. This season, we are 21st in the NHL at 17.5%. A staggering statistic considering we returned all 6 PP forwards from last year, and then added Mike Green and Brad Richards.

All in all, our roster needs a top pairing Defenceman before we need another forward. This makes a huge difference on 5 on 5 play and allows the forwards to play a more offensive game... Until then, we will continue to sit a guy like Teemu Pulkkinen because he can't play in a defensive minded system.

I could have this wrong, but didnt the coach that ran the PP go to Toronto with Babcock?

Our pp has problems because we do not have a good right handed player. Green is not the guy we wanted him to be at the point, either. The opponent has figured out that they can cheat all their coverage to one side of the ice. The puck is going to go there no matter what. It reminds me of 3rd grade basketball where your opponent has a point guard who can only dribble with his right hand. Stick a kid on him and overplay his right hand 75% and game over. Same with our pp.

Someone referenced what teams have consistent scorers past the top 3 anyway. This got me thinking...I didn't check on that, but I thought DET didn't even have a top 3 that consistently scored, so I did check where they stood and the results were worse than I thought, below shows average PPG from top 3 scorers:

1 - DAL - 1.02

2 - WSH - 1.01

3 - CHI - 1.01

4 - PIT - 0.97

5 - EDM - 0.95

6 - SJS - 0.92

7 - BOS - 0.88

8 - OTT - 0.87

9 - PHI - 0.83

10 - CAL - 0.80

11 - NYI - 0.79

12 - LAK - 0.79

13 - STL - 0.78

14 - VAN - 0.78

15 - WIN - 0.77

16 - MON - 0.76

17 - NYR - 0.75

18 - FLA - 0.75

19 - TBL - 0.74

20 - NJD - 0.74

21 - ANA - 0.73

22 - COL - 0.72

23 - ARI - 0.71

24 - BUF - 0.70

25 - DET - 0.70

26 - NSH - 0.68

27 - MIN - 0.68

28 - CBJ - 0.67

29 - TOR - 0.67

30 - CAR - 0.62 (ouch)

Now, I just did this quickly, didn't try to make sure I absolutely got the top 3 from every team (i.e. I didn't get looking for someone that had 4pts in 5 games or anything like that. What is important to note though is that there didn't appear to be any one player pulling the top 3 average up either. Perhaps Kane in Chicago, but their number 2 was still close to 1.00 and number 3 was close to 0.75. They also have more beyond the top 3 as well, which several of the top team would. What I found amazing is Edmonton. They sit at #5 here and actually have several others beyond top 3, yet they continue to suck...last place overall...AGAIN

I don't even think the Wings are a defensive minded team cause if that were the case they wouldn't be blowing all those 3rd period leads. It's a safe bet whenever the Wings have a 1 goal lead in the 3rd that the game will be tied eventually. This has been a problem dating back to around 2009 or so. It cost them a game in the playoffs last year and thus the Tampa series.

Bottom line this team just plain dreadful to watch since the 2009 cup final!

I don't even think the Wings are a defensive minded team cause if that were the case they wouldn't be blowing all those 3rd period leads. It's a safe bet whenever the Wings have a 1 goal lead in the 3rd that the game will be tied eventually. This has been a problem dating back to around 2009 or so. It cost them a game in the playoffs last year and thus the Tampa series.

Bottom line this team just plain dreadful to watch since the 2009 cup final!

We rank 9th in Goals Against per Game, 14th in PK%, and 14th in Shots Against Per Game.

We rank 22nd in Goals per Game, 21st in PP%, and 20th in Shots Per Game (something I would have never believed),

If this team is anything, it's probably defensive minded.

Last year it was Pulk who was a legit scorer and would be a 30 goal guy. This year it's Frk. Both aren't quick enough to get open against NHL defenses.

Pulkkinen is certainly quick enough but he may not be strong enough - which is a big problem to have because if you aren't able to create your own shot as a scorer, your better suited for the bottom 6. If your his size, bottom 6 probably isn't a great fit. Hence the number games he has been scratched.

Last year it was Pulk who was a legit scorer and would be a 30 goal guy. This year it's Frk. Both aren't quick enough to get open against NHL defenses.

You are wrong about Frk. He's fast. Not Larkin fast, but definitely Glendening fast. And he's getting bigger and stronger. He's 200 lbs now. Will be 205 next year, which is where we need our other Euro softy trio to be.

You are wrong about Frk. He's fast. Not Larkin fast, but definitely Glendening fast. And he's getting bigger and stronger. He's 200 lbs now. Will be 205 next year, which is where we need our other Euro softy trio to be.

Cory Emerton was fast. Look where that landed him.