• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vladdy16

Happy 20th Anniversary, LGW!

Rate this topic

Been a great 10 years, wish I had found this community sooner. It's been an honor to be here among all of you, through all the great posters who have been here and even the rough ones we had to endure.

Here's to another 20 years, thanks to Matt for all the hard work and dedication, to Mikey for being our resident GDT guru, the moderation staff, and all the posters that make this place great.

Been a great 10 years, wish I had found this community sooner. It's been an honor to be here among all of you, through all the great posters who have been here and even the rough ones we had to endure.

Here's to another 20 years, thanks to Matt for all the hard work and dedication, to Mikey for being our resident GDT guru, the moderation staff, and all the posters that make this place great.

I like your GDTs.

Happy Anniversary and thank you Matt for creating this site! Good times or bad times, the people on here always give me a good laugh. I don't know what I'd do without it. This is a really great source for pretty much all hockey news too. That's great testament to how dedicated Wings fans are to the sport itself. Thanks again and I look forward to another great 20 years!

Thanks, guys!

I apologize for not seeing this sooner. I've been out of pocket for the last couple of weeks due to the loss of a family member and just got back tonight -- and I have to say seeing this thread brought a smile to my face. Technically the actual 'birth' of the site is September 15th, 1996 -- right around training camp for the 1996-97 season and at that stage it didn't even have a message board. It was started on GeoCities and consisted of the cheesiest of tiled ice backgrounds, a picture of Steve Yzerman saluting the crowd from the bench after scoring his 500th career goal on Patrick Roy and a bit of text about what I was planning on doing with the site.

I really wish I had some of the stuff from those first years. After a couple seasons on GeoCities the site moved to be one of a few fan sites on PuckPlace.com, then to a server that was hosted by the previous owners of HockeysFuture.com and then eventually to where it is now (and where it has remained for the bulk of those past 20 years.)

I started this place as a bored 17-year old living in the sticks in SE Michigan and it has followed me to college, marriage, a career and two beautiful daughters of 9 and 10 (!). It's been crazy. Life has gotten in the way often and I haven't been able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to the site (and I'm always saying I'm going to get refocused) -- so I really, really appreciate the comments here and the help the moderation team has provided over the years. It's invaluable.

Thank you!

Thanks, guys!

I apologize for not seeing this sooner. I've been out of pocket for the last couple of weeks due to the loss of a family member and just got back tonight -- and I have to say seeing this thread brought a smile to my face. Technically the actual 'birth' of the site is September 15th, 1996 -- right around training camp for the 1996-97 season and at that stage it didn't even have a message board. It was started on GeoCities and consisted of the cheesiest of tiled ice backgrounds, a picture of Steve Yzerman saluting the crowd from the bench after scoring his 500th career goal on Patrick Roy and a bit of text about what I was planning on doing with the site.

I really wish I had some of the stuff from those first years. After a couple seasons on GeoCities the site moved to be one of a few fan sites on PuckPlace.com, then to a server that was hosted by the previous owners of HockeysFuture.com and then eventually to where it is now (and where it has remained for the bulk of those past 20 years.)

I started this place as a bored 17-year old living in the sticks in SE Michigan and it has followed me to college, marriage, a career and two beautiful daughters of 9 and 10 (!). It's been crazy. Life has gotten in the way often and I haven't been able to dedicate as much time as I'd like to the site (and I'm always saying I'm going to get refocused) -- so I really, really appreciate the comments here and the help the moderation team has provided over the years. It's invaluable.

Thank you!

Lol we should go back to the cheesy 90s graphics for the anniversary. The more obnoxious the better. We can have a dancing baby gif with Hudler's face on it.

Thanks for all of the hard work you have done on this board over the years Matt! I've been a member here since around 98-99ish and it has been an awesome experience watching this forum evolve. In case any of you were wondering, I'm not sure you can access any posts before June 2002. There was the "Great Forum Crash of 2002" that happened in June of 2002 right around the time of the SCF (great timing, huh?). Everyone had to re-register so the oldest members you see here on here started re-registering around that time (I had a different username before then but I don't have a clue what it was do to it being almost almost 14 years ago).

I'm glad to have been a member of this board for 13 of those almost-20 years. I have such great memories of times spent and discussions had on these forums, and have been lucky enough to have made several life long friendships with other members.

Thanks to Matt for creating the forums and putting in so much hard work to keep it running. Thanks to my fellow Mods for all their hard work (especially since life has tended to drag me away from here recently). And finally, thanks to all the members of the forums! You the real MVP(s)!

Happy (almost) 20th, LGW!

Just think, one more year and this site can buy us all a beer! :drunk:

Pretty sure I can list the threads from 1996

"Official Fire Scotty Bowman thread!" Everyone know he only won cups in Pittsburgh and Montreal because he was surrounded with elite talent, elite talent the DeadWings don't have. Where are the Mario's, Jagr's, Francis's, Coffey's, LaFleur's and Robinsons on this team? He's an over-rated, over-paid bum.

"Why Ken Holland should be GM" Bowman and Devallano are incapable of building a winning team, all the talent on this team (apart from Yzerman, who fell into their lap and I could have drafted) was drafted and developed by Holland

"We need to trade Yzerwoman and rebuild" We'll never win with such a small, soft leader, all the talent on this team and all he does is choke every postseason"

"Wings are too soft" Way too many soft euros on this team, you think guys like Lidstrom and Fedorov give a damn about the playoffs? You think they're prepared to do what it takes to win the Stanley Cup?

I'm glad to have been a member of this board for 13 of those almost-20 years. I have such great memories of times spent and discussions had on these forums, and have been lucky enough to have made several life long friendships with other members. Thanks to Matt for creating the forums and putting in so much hard work to keep it running. Thanks to my fellow Mods for all their hard work (especially since life has tended to drag me away from here recently). And finally, thanks to all the members of the forums! You the real MVP(s)!Happy (almost) 20th, LGW!Just think, one more year and this site can buy us all a beer! :drunk:

Great to see you post again, Jedi! Hope all is well.

Well, since I am 3 days late and would have been later than that were it not for TheXym reminding me it was the 4th and not the 9th, we have 2 new silver boosters - say congrats to TheXym and derblaueClaus! Donation has been made, we just need to wait for Matt to have time to change your status.

The others that have submitted for consideration have been entered into another drawing for a nifty little Wings swag that I have in mind, but don't have in my possession right now. As soon as I do, I'll draw names again, and hopefully two won't stick together! This is getting expensive! :)