• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

toby91_ca

Good News or Bad News?

Rate this topic

So, after another loss yesterday, I checked the standings...not that I don't tend to check every now and then anyway.

Bad news - Wings have now dropped into 8th place in the conference

Good news - they are 4pts clear of 9th place...which is a relatively healthy margin (they are the same margin out of 5th place of course). Seems both conferences (playoff teams) have started to separate themselves a bit from non-playoff teams...surprising as it was pretty bunched up not that long ago. A bit closer in the East, but still drops off quickly after 10th or 11th....after 9th in the West it drops off.

Bad news - currently the only team (out of 16 playoff teams based on today's standings) with a "-" goal differential

Good news - every single non-playoff team is a "-" so it's not like you would point to a team that is ready to surpass them.

Bad news - Larkin has 1pt in his last 11 games. This isn't surprising at all to me, he's a rookie and is expected to go through this type of thing...he was overly hyped earlier in the year in my opinion, so no, I don't think he's as good as some think (see "elite" discussions), but this spell hasn't changed my mind, he's still going to be a very good player. So, the reason this is bad news is that if the trend continues, the Wings will be in danger in my opinion, even though 4 point cushion looks good...they can't drop off too much.

So, after another loss yesterday, I checked the standings...not that I don't tend to check every now and then anyway.

Bad news - Wings have now dropped into 8th place in the conference

Good news - they are 4pts clear of 9th place...which is a relatively healthy margin (they are the same margin out of 5th place of course). Seems both conferences (playoff teams) have started to separate themselves a bit from non-playoff teams...surprising as it was pretty bunched up not that long ago. A bit closer in the East, but still drops off quickly after 10th or 11th....after 9th in the West it drops off.

Bad news - currently the only team (out of 16 playoff teams based on today's standings) with a "-" goal differential

Good news - every single non-playoff team is a "-" so it's not like you would point to a team that is ready to surpass them.

Bad news - Larkin has 1pt in his last 11 games. This isn't surprising at all to me, he's a rookie and is expected to go through this type of thing...he was overly hyped earlier in the year in my opinion, so no, I don't think he's as good as some think (see "elite" discussions), but this spell hasn't changed my mind, he's still going to be a very good player. So, the reason this is bad news is that if the trend continues, the Wings will be in danger in my opinion, even though 4 point cushion looks good...they can't drop off too much.

The real bad news is that Bladhill hasn't figured out that Brad Richards is POISON and continues to play him with Larkin. The absolute best thing that could happen to this team right now is an injury to Brad Richards.

Iv been worried all year this team was not going to make the playoffs. Defensively the wings are really a joke. Green and Smith on the same pairing lmao wow. Two turn over machines and - players. It was obvious even when the red wings were way ahead that the pens, lightning and at the time I thought sens were going to make a big push.

Good news - I like certain things about Blash

Bad news - Him and his coaching staff need to get their s*** together with offense/PP

I still don't get why he doesn't use the right hand shots on their intended spot on the pp. I'm really tired of watching Green (and Marchenko) playing the right point.

Blashcock's coaching has been subpar all year. He needs to stop trying to be a Babcock clone and do it his way. Richards should have been traded. The defense is a mess. The systems are either not working or aren't being bought into. Nyquist and Tatar have teaken steps back, Sheahan has stagnated, Abdelkader is proving why his contract is one of the worst in the league, the guys on the PP have zero chemistry and there's no excuse for that as long as most of these guys have played together. Green has been yet another free agent bust. The team is too small and weak up front, which is why Holland panicked and caved into Abdelkader wanting 7 years at that cap hit. Helm has been overused most of the year, and AA is being underused. If he can be effective with 7 minutes, what can he do with 14 or 15? Time to find out. Time to put Jurco and Pulk with guys who can score and let them go. Time to start benching Tatar and Nyquist if they're not going to pull their heads out of their asses.

The team has been slipping and 4 points isn't nearly as big a gap as some people think. It wouldn't shock me at all if they missed the playoffs, and that's 100% on the two guys who make the decisions. Holland failed to get what they needed, and Blashill seems to be clueless at how to get the best out of anyone.

Edited by DickieDunn

I still don't get why he doesn't use the right hand shots on their intended spot on the pp. I'm really tired of watching Green (and Marchenko) playing the right point.

Green switches off fairly often, doesn't help. Our puck movement on the PP is abysmal.

Green switches off fairly often, doesn't help. Our puck movement on the PP is abysmal.

yeah he does the switch from time to time, and has scored on the pp, but it feels like they always want, or only know how, to score from the slot. It's painful to watch, to say the least.

Edited by NerveDamage

well if the PP isn't working it's not up to the PP coach's momma to let him know, it is either up to Blash or Holland to make the adjustments if it's not working, right?

It's the Red Wings. Loyalty comes before being mean to the coach.

Edited by kickazz

It's the Red Wings. Loyalty comes before being mean to the coach.

Make the Wings Great Again? You start sounding more and more like your hero... Anyways, the truth is PP isn't working. If you think it's "mean" to tell someone that the job he's being paid for it's not working... then by all means find a better way to let him know he has to re evaluate his approach, and tell him we all love him and think he can do it better, just in case his glass ego shatters...

Make the Wings Great Again? You start sounding more and more like your hero... Anyways, the truth is PP isn't working. If you think it's "mean" to tell someone that the job he's being paid for it's not working... then by all means find a better way to let him know he has to re evaluate his approach, and tell him we all love him and think he can do it better, just in case his glass ego shatters...

My statement was sarcastic

The Chinese are taking our best players because our leaders are stupid.

The Chinese are taking our best players because our leaders are stupid.

Don't just blame the one who leads, but those who follow him as well. I didn't know there was a Hockey League in China, do they use one large chopstick or two tiny hockey sticks?

Edited by NerveDamage

Maybe Babcock isn't over rated like some here thought?

I cant speak for everyone, but when I personally said Babcock was overrated it was in response to people saying that he was the best coach in all of hockey by a mile.

I think Babs was/is a great coach, he's maybe the best in the NHL (though its tough not to give that honor to Quenneville) but the reason why I think most including myself called him overrated was because of the pedestal some people put him on.

Bad news: I have a feeling that teams vying the playoffs, Boston,Philadelphia, Pittsburgh are lucky not to face the primary goalies that Wings seem to face and therefore are winning more games and have now surpassed us. Ex: Chicago uses Crawford against us but not against Boston, Florida uses Lluongo against us but not against Boston tonight and Boston have won both games. Tampa uses Bishop against us but not against Philadelphia and loses. Coincidence????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk