• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsallTheway

Wings Vs Leafs Outdoor Game confirmed, 2017

Rate this topic

announcment link: https://twitter.com/NHL

Will be in Toronto on New Years Day at BMO field.

Dubbed the first "Centennial Classic" :sleepy:

I'll be going since I'm not far from Toronto, so this is exciting news for me. BMO field should be a decent venue.

Additional details: https://www.nhl.com/news/maple-leafs-red-wings-2017-nhl-centennial-classic/c-279504236

"The Red Wings roster includes star talent like Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader as well as 2016 NHL All-Star Dylan Larkin."

Edited by WingsallTheway

4th outdoor game for the Wings.. Yet many other teams haven't had any... Anyone else think this will quickly lose it's novelty? What if they run out of outdoor jersey designs hahahaha

So many unanswered questions :P

Will Hasek suit up for an alumni game? Will Yzerman be back?

4th outdoor game for the Wings.. Yet many other teams haven't had any... Anyone else think this will quickly lose it's novelty? What if they run out of outdoor jersey designs hahahaha

Easy answers. It already has, they already have. Yes and yes!

Yeah these are wearing out. Fast. The other two games announced are St Louis/Chicago, and Pittsburgh/Philly. So that's 4 outdoor games for the Wings, 2 for the Leafs, 5 for Chicago, the Pens and Flyers 3 each I believe and St Louis is the only new team. Seriously. All these match ups just show how much of a cash grab this is for the league. Flyers/Pens is so unnecessary. I could understand if they just stuck with the Centennial Classic and then the Winter Classic the next day, but who the hell needs another one?

The league has taken something that could have been really special and ruined it basically in favour of good business and earning more money, which I suppose, I shouldn't complain about because it does make financial sense.

Unless it's played on the frozen waters of one of the Great Lakes with makeshift bleachers set up around the rink and Mrs. I selling hot cocoa between periods... I don't wanna hear about another outdoor game for the Red Wings.

Aren't there other teams out there that might get the benefit of having their fans see their team playing an outdoor game?

I get it. It's Toronto's 100th Anniversary. There's a history between the two clubs, etc. etc. ...but a rematch of the Bridgestone Classic from three years ago?

How many other games will they have played between January 1, 2014 and January 1, 2017? A rematch? Good logic. Thanks for pointing that out vladdy16.

It's the same questions every year now. It's old hat. As a history buff I'm excited for a centennial celebration, and outdoor games are still cool, but it's hardly a big marquee event for me anymore. I'll watch it, and maybe even look forward to it, but not as much as I used to.

Honestly though I don't mind these things. Yes they're overdone. People have just become so cynical though. It's an outdoor game, it's fun, you think the people at the games are complaining? The same people who complain about these are the same people who complain about all-star games. I get wanting to improve things, and the whole point of message boards is to *****, it's really the media too. I just try enjoy these events for what they are when they come around.

I feel bad for the fans who go to these games. Whenever they show the view from the audience, it appears the players are like ants. One simply can't see the game (let alone the puck).

People just go to these games to say they went and got hammered with their friends. It's not a good hockey viewing experience.

I feel bad for the fans who go to these games. Whenever they show the view from the audience, it appears the players are like ants. One simply can't see the game (let alone the puck).

People just go to these games to say they went and got hammered with their friends. It's not a good hockey viewing experience.

Almost went to the one in Minnesota for that reason, just to say I went.

You certainly don't go to these games if you're expecting a great view but it absolutely is a great hockey experience. I've been to two now, the one in Ann Arbor and the one a couple weeks ago in Denver, and both were amazing experiences. If you've never been to an outdoor game, and you enjoy hockey, drinking and a good time, or even if you only enjoy one of those things, I'd highly recommend doing the whole outdoor game experience...

However, I do agree that they are being way overdone. If there were one a year (Winter Classic), played by different teams every year, it would be worth the excitement, but when there's a handful of games, with the same handful of teams every single year, it begins to wear out the novelty pretty quick...

You certainly don't go to these games if you're expecting a great view but it absolutely is a great hockey experience. I've been to two now, the one in Ann Arbor and the one a couple weeks ago in Denver, and both were amazing experiences. If you've never been to an outdoor game, and you enjoy hockey, drinking and a good time, or even if you only enjoy one of those things, I'd highly recommend doing the whole outdoor game experience...

However, I do agree that they are being way overdone. If there were one a year (Winter Classic), played by different teams every year, it would be worth the excitement, but when there's a handful of games, with the same handful of teams every single year, it begins to wear out the novelty pretty quick...

I'd be willing to attend the one in LA. Not a fan of cold weather and sitting outside in it, let alone in Minnesota or Michigan. ^_^

I have to admit it was a little too cold at the Big House a couple years ago, and that's coming from a Newfie... but the one in Denver was awesome temperature. It had to be at least 80°. Everyone was going around in shorts and t-shirts during the day and as it cooled off that night, people just threw on a hoodie or whatever. I was wearing jeans, t-shirt and my Wings jersey and I was sweating balls... The one in Ann Arbor I was wearing infinite articles of clothing and still froze my a** off... Still an awesome time though.

Yeah these are wearing out. Fast. The other two games announced are St Louis/Chicago, and Pittsburgh/Philly. So that's 4 outdoor games for the Wings, 2 for the Leafs, 5 for Chicago, the Pens and Flyers 3 each I believe and St Louis is the only new team. Seriously. All these match ups just show how much of a cash grab this is for the league. Flyers/Pens is so unnecessary. I could understand if they just stuck with the Centennial Classic and then the Winter Classic the next day, but who the hell needs another one?

The league has taken something that could have been really special and ruined it basically in favour of good business and earning more money, which I suppose, I shouldn't complain about because it does make financial sense.

Winnipeg is also getting one against Edmonton.

Interesting to see how many Red Wings fans there will be.

At the Winter Classic it was about 60% to 40% Toronto fans in the Michigan Stadium as a lot of people made the drive from Toronto/Canada.

Hopefully Wings fans have a good turn out and people from Detroit (and good amount of Wings fan across the continent) show up in Toronto.

Edited by kickazz