• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

3/13 GDT : Toronto Maple Leafs at Red Wings, 7:30 EST

Rate this topic

Just found out the final score ... I'm beyond words how effed this is, lost to the Leafs 1-0 ??!! When we miss the playoffs by 2 pts, we can all come back to this game. Feel like slapping all the forwards in the head ... can't even score 1 on Bernier!

This game, or the Columbus game, or the countless other games this year they have dropped points to lesser teams. They really need to stop playing down to their opponents.

They are not playing down to their opponents...they are just not that good. Take a look at the goal differential...it's like -9. Look at our power play. It's abysmal. We have actually gotten lucky with some of the games we have won lately. We have played like garbage ever since those two games against the Hawks.

This game, or the Columbus game, or the countless other games this year they have dropped points to lesser teams. They really need to stop playing down to their opponents.

theve done that for how many years though

What do you expect? Ken Holland operates like it is 1999. It's 2016. You have tied up gaggles of dollars on players that our past their prime. You are running a loyalty show...not a hockey club in the NHL with cap limitations in 2016. Your off season signings are over the hill guys. Your $6 million dollar defenseman can't even manage the puck behind his own net. You pretend like Jonathan Erickson is a first pairing defenseman when he is a 3rd pairing defenseman.

If I am running an NHL team in 2016, my core is between 24 and 31 years of age. Those are my highest paid players. Once a player gets beyond 31, I trade them for assets. Picks or solid young prospects. Or they take a pay cut and go to the bottom 6 or bottom pairing. You have to trade assets when they are worth something. It does no good to just throw guys on waivers and then trade them for a 6th when they clear (Kindl). The modern NHL requires no loyalty and constant reinvention. Players are better younger now because of modern training etc. You have to bring them up early and let them contribute early.

We lost tonight because the other team was better. Except for Mrazk, Larkin, AA we have nobody. Dats gives 100% but he is on his last legs. All those young guys on Toronto had more energy. They were quicker to the puck. They were more dangerous. They clogged up the neutral zone better than us. Mrazk actually saved us. Could have been 4-0.

Kenny is a disaster. He is like your old uncle who is using a flip phone while everyone else is hip to a smart phone. He has these ancient principles that he sticks to even though all the data points in a different direction. His house is cluttered with all sorts of maudlin memorabilia because he just can't bear to get rid of anything...and when he gets something new, it's like something he finds at a garage sale that reminds him of how things used to be...like an old useless 8 track player (like Cole, Zidlicky, Green, and Richards). The steady downward trajectory of this team since the last Cup is all on him. Notice the Bowmans are doing well. They know how to reinvent themselves even after they win a cup. Jim Nill seems to be doing well. Yzerman has things rolling. But Kenny is showing himself to be a guy who has not adapted to the NHL in it's current state. And this team is a joke because of that.

Perfectly summed up right there. I hope Illitch shows Kenny the door soon if things don't start changing in some way. Commit to a rebuild. Do some housecleaning and trade overripe prospects for picks. If top UFAs don't want to come here, don't just sign garbage or give huge contracts to guys who don't deserve it just because you have the cap space. No more pity contracts for guys like Cleary..even if he isn't on the Wings roster..wtf is the point? Does he think owners like giving away money? Right now the roster CAN win games against top teams..we've all seen it..But they can't win consistantly with how things are setup. Vets are really showing age, mid level guys aren't picking up the slack..young guys can't carry the team. There HAS to be some moves made in the offseason..whether to get better, or to start a rebuild..but commit to one of the other. Treading water isn't working. If Kenny can't fix things..then bring in new blood. In the league nowadays, you gotta have some balls and take some chances..Kenny has shown he will always play it safe, and it does not work.

Worst team in the league

Yeah, I didn't know if they were doing worse than Edmonton or not...

theve done that for how many years though

Ya, even in years when they were on top of the league, they'd still blow games(and playoff series-LA, Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton...) to lesser teams. Who could forget the "Stunner at Staples" in 2001 when they lost in 6 to LA, or getting swept by Anaheim in 2003 both in the first round.

Players that MUST NOT be in a Wings uniform next season: Howard, Ericsson, Richards, Quincey, Helm, Nyquist, Smith at all cost. I honestly think Z (God Bless him) should retire. Trade the overripe guys in GR or just keep them there....

When I say draft day fire sale, I mean it. Trade all this dead weight for draft picks. Sign a HUGE scoring forward (Stamkos) and fill the rest with your kids from GR.

I like Abby, but no way he is worth the money he got...what a waste. Another contract that in 2 years will be an albatross to this team and untradeable.

Bring up Mantha, Bertuzzi, Russo, Hicketts, Renoef, Nosek to replace the fire sale players above. Sign a nice back up goalie or let Coreau take it.

Throw millions of $$$$ at Larionov to try to convince him to come be the Asst/PP coach.

It's time of Ilitch to step in a take control of his team....again.

Edited by LeftWinger

I think our problem lately is the defense. Not only are they bad in their own end they can't move the puck at all. So many needless turnovers and our #1 pair now, DD and Q were the absolute worst. Quincey has been generally bad for weeks. Had a good stretch after coming off of injury but now I'm struggling to find what he's good for. Probably the worst puck mover on the team and his slow foot speed is really noticeable against a good forecheck

Yes the leading scorer on the team should retire.

How extremely stupid.

Dream on guy. Dream on. You've been saying it for years and hoping for it. It won't happen so get over it.

He's only leading the team in scprint because the rest of the team is horrible. He is a broken down version of himself. Every year it's the same thing..."this year Z will be 100% and he'll dominate again..." you get over it, he's broken down.

Regarding the gm, we all now know who the brains of this operation was, Scotty. No doubt about it. Holland rode the coattails of scotty until he left and you are now seeing just how Holland is on his own.

He's only leading the team in scprint because the rest of the team is horrible. He is a broken down version of himself. Every year it's the same thing..."this year Z will be 100% and he'll dominate again..." you get over it, he's broken down.

He's heen leading the team or comes in 2nd place every year. Regardless of how terrible they are. It would be one thing if he fell off production like Vincent Lecavelier or Mike Richards from LA.

You want a 35 year old hockey player that produces top points for his team to retire. You make no sense whatsoever with your logic.

You've been asking for his retirement for years.

Aside from Datsyuk, name one player on this team that's scored more points than Zetterberg.

Seriously. Name one.

Broken Zetterberg scores more points than guys in their supposed prime. How embarassing.

Edited by kickazz

Didn't see tonights game - however I don't believe Hank is lazy as much as he was never really that fast to begin with...Add to the fact that he's had back woes, and his age along with wear, and tear - he's just getting slower.

This is it, hes normally the slowest guy on the ice. Its too bad, because his skills are still there but he can't keep up anymore. Instead of carrying the puck he'll force a pass and turn it over pretty often. He's gonna be a third liner and sooner than later I'd say

People questioning hank must not know much about hockey. He is still extremely effective and calling for him to retire is just a joke.

I noticed some people whining about Brendan smith despite the fact that he was our best dman the past 2 games! He has been physical, played smart and most importantly he can actually PASS THE Puck up the ice! You want to know who our worst dman has been lately? Danny dekeyser. He's had an average season but lately he's been horrible. He has been turning pucks over so much and losing too many battles. Quincy can't pass the puck if his life depended on it. Ericsson is a little boy in a big man's body. Marchenko is below average. Green can move the puck fine but can lose battles. This is why our forwards can't score because they spend half their time waiting for a pass that doesn't even come to them.

And for the love of god how does this pp coach still work for this team?! I've never seen such a bad power play consistently get worse. The worst part is that nothing has changed they keep trying the same thing over and over. Change it up!!! Take Nyquist and tatar off and give more time to AA and larkin. Play smith instead of no skill dekeyser. At least smith has offensive instinct and creativity that Danny just wishes he had.

Fact is we lost this game because our D sucks. We lost this game because blashill and the coaching staff was once again out coached. Blame Kenny all you want but he did everything he could in the offseason to make this team better. We got green, Richards, larkin, AA and mrazek full time as our additions. That should make the team perform better than last season's team but they are somehow worse. I'd say coaching is a huge factor in that... if the blues let hitchcock go after this season I say we sign him.

People questioning hank must not know much about hockey. He is still extremely effective and calling for him to retire is just a joke.

I noticed some people whining about Brendan smith despite the fact that he was our best dman the past 2 games! He has been physical, played smart and most importantly he can actually PASS THE Puck up the ice! You want to know who our worst dman has been lately? Danny dekeyser. He's had an average season but lately he's been horrible. He has been turning pucks over so much and losing too many battles. Quincy can't pass the puck if his life depended on it. Ericsson is a little boy in a big man's body. Marchenko is below average. Green can move the puck fine but can lose battles. This is why our forwards can't score because they spend half their time waiting for a pass that doesn't even come to them.

And for the love of god how does this pp coach still work for this team?! I've never seen such a bad power play consistently get worse. The worst part is that nothing has changed they keep trying the same thing over and over. Change it up!!! Take Nyquist and tatar off and give more time to AA and larkin. Play smith instead of no skill dekeyser. At least smith has offensive instinct and creativity that Danny just wishes he had.

Fact is we lost this game because our D sucks. We lost this game because blashill and the coaching staff was once again out coached. Blame Kenny all you want but he did everything he could in the offseason to make this team better. We got green, Richards, larkin, AA and mrazek full time as our additions. That should make the team perform better than last season's team but they are somehow worse. I'd say coaching is a huge factor in that... if the blues let hitchcock go after this season I say we sign him.

Kenny was a part of the problem over the last several years. He still is. Babcock saved us and made competitive (up to some extent). Now in addition to incompetent GM we've got incompetent/young training stuff.

SSDD

Zettererg is half the player he was a few years ago. He's still good, but he and Datsyuk can't carry at team anymore, the established younger guys never will be able to, and the guys who might are still too young to do it. Even if they make the palyoffs I don't see them doing anything. That's why they needed to trade Richards, trade Helm if he wants more than what's reasonable to pay him, and look to the future instead of standing pat.

Didn't see the game, but man - how sad is it getting blanked in your own barn by what many consider to be an AHL quality roster.

The revenge of Babs!

Well there is a reason why this guy is considered the best coach in the world. I don't think the Leafs will finish outside of the bottom 5 but what he gets out of an AHL roster is nothing short of amazing.

Anyhow there is no excuse losing against that team, this team scored 3 against King Henrik and then gets shutout by Bernier go figure. Glad I've stopped watching after the second period but man is this team ever unstable, they would be a ticket to the second round against Washington, Tampa...I honestly don't think it's worth it, get a better pick, deal veterans in the off-season and finally start a more traditional rebuild.

With the standings as tight as they are, losing out on two points at home against a really bad team is a tough pill to swallow. This is rock bottom. Having said that, its not over. If we beat Philly and Columbus this week, it'll take away a lot of this sting. They then have a golden opportunity to climb up the division against Florida and TB. A lot of you are throwing in the towel and wanting to blow it all up, but we're still in a playoff spot and have a more favorable schedule than the teams we're competing with in the standings.

With the standings as tight as they are, losing out on two points at home against a really bad team is a tough pill to swallow. This is rock bottom. Having said that, its not over. If we beat Philly and Columbus this week, it'll take away a lot of this sting. They then have a golden opportunity to climb up the division against Florida and TB. A lot of you are throwing in the towel and wanting to blow it all up, but we're still in a playoff spot and have a more favorable schedule than the teams we're competing with in the standings.

And what does making the playoffs do? This team can't a series of good games together and then they'll face Washington or Tampa..This wouldn't end well.

Being realistic is not throwing in the towel it's wanting necessary changes in order to set the team up for a brighter future.

Its disheartening to watch this team perform as poorly as they are. I don't buy that we are still adjusting to Blashill's system, or that injuries and slumps are causing a momentary dip in production. This team seems too talented to produce at these meager rates. Unfortunately, it appears that the young guys who are supposed to be taking the reins - Tatar, Nyquist, and Sheahan in particular - have reached their ceiling and are not the heirs to Datsyuk and Zetterberg they were originally hoped to be. They are tweeners, more in the mold of Franzen.

I'm hoping they power through and prove me wrong in the months and years to come, but right now it appears to be a clear case of a fumble in passing the torch. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are on the back nine and their replacements aren't fit to tie their skates.