• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

There's talk about expansion drafts coming and I'm curious if anyone knows how many players were usually allowed to protect ?

Apparently teams won't be allowed to protect 2 goalies ... And also word that teams might have to leave some good players unprotected as they don't want the new team(s) to suck for 10 years straight right off the bat

Apparently players with no trade clauses will be available to be picked up or it'll count as a player a team protects (better be the first)

I personally think teams might have to leave a player making 3-5 per at least available , so I'm hoping we still have Ericsson around

Anyways ... Anyone know the amount of players usually left unprotected ?

Theres been more and more talks recently (Especially today) that expansion is imminent and will likely be Vegas. An expansion draft would happen.

Expansion draft potential. Each team has option of protecting 3d, 7F and I goalie or 8 skaters +1 goalie. Expansion determined before draft.

GM's told expansion decision expected before June draft. If expand by 1 team, each team loses 1 player...if two teams, 2 players.Next step in process of expansion is for exec committee to make a recommendation. No expansion..1 team or 2. Most gm's think 1 team. Vegas.

I really don't like the thought of losing ANYONE for nothing, especially in a draft to get in an NHL team nobody in the world wants.

Haha ... Don't the old topics dissapear after a while ?

Thanks though , I'll check it out ... Sorry for opening up another topic guys

So let me get this straight. NTC NMC is not protected and teams are required to make some higher salary cap players available plus you can't protect 2 goalies? I'd say screw it it's not worth it no sane GM will be on board with that crap. Thanks for develping talent now we take it for free? WTF ?!

Edited by frankgrimes

My picks:

Mrazek

Dats Larkin Z Abby Dekeyser Mantha AA Tatar. My personal picks but thats me and I'm not opposed to other's thoughts.

What I anticipate Holland will do:

Mrazek

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larkin, Abby, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson :confused: , Mantha

Hard to swallow the fact that these stupid teams have a shot at just stealing legit guys from us.

Do we not protect Dats and hope a building team wont take an aging superstar on the verge of retirement? Do we not protect abby, who is overpaid but in his prime but is also the ONLY forward we have that throws his weight around and can play anywhere?

Have to think it will be Tats or Gus going, don't see them both getting protected over our top end prospects.

There's talk that 25% of salary has to be made available for the expansion

Also something about first year players or 2nd year players could be safe ...also players in Grand Rapids who are signed prospects could be available? So much nonsense out there

Also players who are to be available for expansion have to be signed for the 2017-2018 season so I think we're safe with pavel ... All he has to do is sign after the draft and were good with a spot

Heard teams will sign players to 2 year deals this summer to make them available for the expansion team, and expect a lot of trades at the day of the draft

Forwards I'd protect

Assuming pavel signs after

Mantha Larkin athanasiou zetterberg abdelkader nyquist Tatar

Defense

Kronwall dekeyser ouellet/marchenko

All that could change depending on the rules with first and 2nd year players and who's dealt or not ... Could see a nyquist being dealt at the day of the draft , and I'd rather keep a young dman than 6 million dollar green

Supposedly, the tsn tweeters are suggesting that there will also be a rule that players on first 2 years of their ELC will automatically be protected so that means we would not have to use a protection on Larkin.

That is actually a fantastic rule and I'll have to give the NHL credit on that one.

I'm sure the NHLPA stuck theyre noses in on that one

Apparently there's some speculation that you don't need to protect rookies, they'll be automatically protected, which is a huge boon for rebuilding teams like ours. You can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie, OR 8 forwards and 1 goalie. We wont be in any harm of losing any of our quality players. Maybe a Howard, Sheahan, Jurco, or Pulkkinen, but nothing we couldn't live without.

My picks:

Mrazek

Dats Larkin Z Abby Dekeyser Mantha AA Tatar. My personal picks but thats me and I'm not opposed to other's thoughts.

What I anticipate Holland will do:

Mrazek

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Larkin, Abby, Dekeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson :confused: , Mantha

Hard to swallow the fact that these stupid teams have a shot at just stealing legit guys from us.

Do we not protect Dats and hope a building team wont take an aging superstar on the verge of retirement? Do we not protect abby, who is overpaid but in his prime but is also the ONLY forward we have that throws his weight around and can play anywhere?

Have to think it will be Tats or Gus going, don't see them both getting protected over our top end prospects.

We will trade Tatar and/or nyquist before we lose them for nothing

Expect a bunch of trades on the draft day

Apparently there's some speculation that you don't need to protect rookies, they'll be automatically protected, which is a huge boon for rebuilding teams like ours. You can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie, OR 8 forwards and 1 goalie. We wont be in any harm of losing any of our quality players. Maybe a Howard, Sheahan, Jurco, or Pulkkinen, but nothing we couldn't live without.

We could protect jurco and sheahan if datsyuk signs till after the expansion draft and the kids don't count

Might as well sign helm for 2-3 years and make him available for the draft .... Might as well be us instead of whoever signs him

We will trade Tatar and/or nyquist before we lose them for nothing

Expect a bunch of trades on the draft day

We could protect jurco and sheahan if datsyuk signs till after the expansion draft and the kids don't count

Might as well sign helm for 2-3 years and make him available for the draft .... Might as well be us instead of whoever signs him

I thought this as well but, I don't think its true.

You trade Nyquist or Tatar and then lose the other one in the draft. Now we have neither, and we don't get much in return because the traded player is still eligible for the draft for the other team.

I'm not even sure if we have anything to worry about. If you look at previous expansion drafts, no good players are lost and those were 2 rounders. Its also not uncommon for a GM of the new team to make a deal with a current GM in order not to pick an unprotected player. GM's in the NHL have respect for each other and try to maintain good relationships, especially new teams.

Edited by WingsallTheway

I thought this as well but, I don't think its true.

You trade Nyquist or Tatar and then lose the other one in the draft. Now we have neither, and we don't get much in return because the traded player is still eligible for the draft for the other team.

I'm not even sure if we have anything to worry about. If you look at previous expansion drafts, no good players are lost and those were 2 rounders. Its also not uncommon for a GM of the new team to make a deal with a current GM in order not to pick an unprotected player. GM's in the NHL have respect for each other and try to maintain good relationships, especially new teams.

The nhl wants the new expansion team(s) to be competitive and not suck for 10 years so some decent NHL players will be made available ... They want teams to have 25% of the salary to be made available

This really ruins and plans we had to get rid of Howard

I think Howard green Ericsson will be left unprotected , that's 16 million right there and I'd say right above 20 percent of the cap? Those 3 could be the high priced guys we could lose

With the the rules protecting first year and 2nd year players we have no need to worry about losing Tatar/and nyquist to waivers

Assuming pavel holds off

Zetterberg abdelkader Tatar nyquist sheahan glendening jurco , could be our 7 depending on whether helm returns or if we get anyone as a ufa or through trade

The nhl wants the new expansion team(s) to be competitive and not suck for 10 years so some decent NHL players will be made available ... They want teams to have 25% of the salary to be made available

This really ruins and plans we had to get rid of Howard

I think Howard green Ericsson will be left unprotected , that's 16 million right there and I'd say right above 20 percent of the cap? Those 3 could be the high priced guys we could lose

With the the rules protecting first year and 2nd year players we have no need to worry about losing Tatar/and nyquist to waivers

Assuming pavel holds off

Zetterberg abdelkader Tatar nyquist sheahan glendening jurco , could be our 7 depending on whether helm returns or if we get anyone as a ufa or through trade

Like I said, if were protecting Glendenning and Jurco we have nothing to worry about.

Green is overpaid but our D's offence doesn't get any better with him gone. His cap hit is only for 2 more years after this season.

With that said, we could use his 6M

Edited by WingsallTheway

We might actually have to use spots on Larkin and Athanasiou f***

Apparently cause by the end of next season they both would be 2nd year pro's .... Guessing athanasiou cause he'd have played over 25 games this year .. Mantha would be safe cause he'd played 10-15 assuming he sticks rest of the season

Mike green has to be made available at the expansion draft if we do have to have 25% of cap space Available , he'd only have one more year left on his deal so it would be stupid to protect him ... As well as him not living up to expectations

Oh boy ...apparently dregger said pone year of pro would count , even if it's in the ahl , so we'd have to protect mantha as well

I'm sure teams are gonna fight this like crazy

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

The no move players are still up in the air as well. PIT would have a big decision in goal, they'd have Fleury or Murray. Fleury is an excellent goalie that they certainly wouldn't want to lose, still in his prime, but get older. Murray is 20 years old now and apparently he's considered the best goalie not currently in the NHL. I don't know much about him, but I'll take what I read at face value. There would be a decent chance that the one not protected gets drafted.

Ok.....

Z, Mantha, Larkin, AA, Abby, Tatar, Sheahan (exposing Nyquist, Pulk, Jurco, Glendening, Helm (if re-signed.)) It needs to be known that if we land someone this July (hopefully Holland goes all in for someone like Stamkos, Lucic, Backes, et al. and then they would be protected instead of Sheahan.) If Dats has to be protected (since he won't be officially a UFA until July of 2017) then expose Tatar. Which I think if they are pending UFA's then they shouldn't have to be protected. If he retired then we'd waste a protection on him potentially losing someone we'd hate to lose. Also if Mantha doesn't need to be protected then put Tatar back on that list.

​Dekeyser, Marchenko, Kronwall ​(exposing Smith if resigned, Ericsson and Green.) It also needs to be noted that if XO comes up next season or if the Wings sign a top 2 guy, it is going to get real dicey. What if Jensen, XO, Sproul are all exposed as well?

Mrazek ​- I believe Howard will be dealt this summer, but if not, then obviously Howard will be exposed or whomever Holland signs as Petr's backup.

If players in GR are also exposed, which would be bulls***, then unfortunately there'd be a lot more exposed. Fortunately we'd only lose one player for one team, unless the team passed on all of our exposed players.

Edited by LeftWinger

First and second year guts would be safe. Larkin, AA and Mantha arent getting stolen. Not that it would matter, there aren't 7 forwards that I'd want protected outside if those guys

I watched that's hockey and were gonna have some problems ... They said first and second year pro's are exempt , that includes players in Grand Rapids though so we could lose a bertuzzi since he's been down 2 years

Unsigned draft picks whether it be college or European are exempt from the first 2 years , after that we gotta decide if we want to sign them or protect them

think svechnikov might have to be protected depending when the expansion draft takes place? But he should be fine (hopfully)

But guys like bertuzzi holmstrom that we drafted and developed might be lost for nothing which is total bs

Mantha Larkin athanasiou will have to be protected , after that we gotta decide whether to take a chance and hope zetterberg wouldn't be claimed since he's gonna be 37(datsyuk should be fine so long as he resigns after the expansion draft)

Then we gotta decide if it's worth it to keep a prospect or 2 were very high on over lets say a abdelkader type

Decisions decisions

Edited by nyqvististhefuture