• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

26 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

murray and vasilevsky have a 0% chance of being exposed.... 0

pickard is 50/50 hes younger and varlamov has been horrendous+ varlamov is a ufa in 2 yrs, so why risk losing the younger goalie ,no way mazanec,broissoit,and ullmark and others in there are ahead of coreau and gets picked .... subban has been brutal 

you seem to forget vegas is picking 3 goalies and can pick 2 of those goalies and a veteran guy , what makes coreau any worse than those mentioned above?? hes had 920+ save percentage every season in the ahl and the coach is exposing further more by relying on him now

you watch , mrazek will get the blame for yesterdays loss even though jonathan shouldnt be in the nhl anymore was on the ice for 3 goals and just a disaster as usual 

nhl teams are looking for goalies with size now , thats the new thing and coreau is 6'6 with good upside 

Ok lets work through this.

Lot's of good goalies will be available for Vegas. Bernier, Bishop, Fleury, Darling, Varlamov, Howard, Luongo, Kinkaid, Raanta, Anderson, Miller. Some of these guys may get traded, changing who gets exposed, but the point is Vegas has lots of good options in net.

They are going to select 2 very good goalies. Their last choice they will use on a young goalie for their AHL team. Are you honestly suggesting Vegas will use their 3rd goalie pick to select a 25 year old NHL back up goalie? Coreau only has value as an NHL back up.

Now lets say somehow all these NHL starters somehow become unavailable, or their teams expose better skaters that Vegas wants, and they need an NHL quality goalie bad. Are you suggesting Vegas will select Coreau over Howard? 

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ok lets work through this.

Lot's of good goalies will be available for Vegas. Bernier, Bishop, Fleury, Darling, Varlamov, Howard, Luongo, Kinkaid, Raanta, Anderson, Miller. Some of these guys may get traded, changing who gets exposed, but the point is Vegas has lots of good options in net.

They are going to select 2 very good goalies. Their last choice they will use on a young goalie for their AHL team. Are you honestly suggesting Vegas will use their 3rd goalie pick to select a 25 year old NHL back up goalie? Coreau only has value as an NHL back up.

Now lets say somehow all these NHL starters somehow become unavailable, or their teams expose better skaters that Vegas wants, and they need an NHL quality goalie bad. Are you suggesting Vegas will select Coreau over Howard? 

Luongo now??? Bishop is a ufa , he's not going  to vegas ....fleury will get dealt , pens won't lose him for nothing 

who's Andersen? I hope to god your not talking about Frederic andersen 

of the goalies is you mentioned the realistic options are Howard,Kinkaid and Raanta, thing is they can't take all 3 and have 10-12 committed to goaltending and it all defends who's available and the price tag upfront and back end 

if they select Raanta and Kinkaid they'll likely select a goalie with upside and Coreau has some as well as others , the more Coreau plays the more chances are he catches some attention

not saying he's a sure pick to get picked but he's definetly someone to look at 

Let's start from the very basics: you are building a franchise from scratch. What are your primary needs?

In my opinion you first try to get a great goaltender and a solid 2-way center. Then you look at a solid first pairing defense-man. Then you look at another 2-way center. And then you just fill the other positions with the best available talent.

So Coreau should by my thinking be rather low on the Vegas rankings of things to get.

Edited by Jacksoni

55 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Luongo now??? Bishop is a ufa , he's not going  to vegas ....fleury will get dealt , pens won't lose him for nothing 

who's Andersen? I hope to god your not talking about Frederic andersen 

of the goalies is you mentioned the realistic options are Howard,Kinkaid and Raanta, thing is they can't take all 3 and have 10-12 committed to goaltending and it all defends who's available and the price tag upfront and back end 

if they select Raanta and Kinkaid they'll likely select a goalie with upside and Coreau has some as well as others , the more Coreau plays the more chances are he catches some attention

not saying he's a sure pick to get picked but he's definetly someone to look at 

I'm assuming Florida will protect Reimer so Luongo will be exposed. Could be the other way around, makes no difference to me really.

Vegas has 48 hour window to negotiate with UFAs before the expansion draft officially starts. They can sign Bishop prior to the draft, but that counts as their one TBL pick. So yes Bishop is very much in play.

Hypothetically say Fleury is traded to Calgary. Then CGY will be forced to expose Elliot. Another guy who will get more attention from Vegas than Coreau.

I'm talking about Craig Anderson

I'm not saying they will take 3 starters. I'm saying they will take 2. And they need to reach the cap floor, so expensive goalies should be of little concern to them. Term matters more.

If they select Raanta and Kinkaid, they will not look at Coreau. Again, they will want some who can spend time developing in their AHL system who can pass those goalies down the line. Coreau is past the AHL already, but not starter caliber.

There's almost no scenario where Coreau becomes an attractive pick for them. Howard is a different story. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Basically, they're going to take our 12th best player. Slumping or not if Tatar, Nyquist, Green, Dekeyser or Helm are exposed, I think one of those guys would go before Coreau. But, trade Mrazek, not my choice, then you protect Coreau over Howard. Not that he'd be any more in danger of being selected, but if you're down to only two, you just never know. Rather lose Howard than Coreau. 

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Basically, they're going to take our 12th best player. Slumping or not if Tatar, Nyquist, Green, Dekeyser or Helm are exposed, I think one of those guys would go before Coreau. But, trade Mrazek, not my choice, then you protect Coreau over Howard. Not that he'd be any more in danger of being selected, but if you're down to only two, you just never know. Rather lose Howard than Coreau. 

Yup, they get one and only one selection, there will be better options available to them than Coreau. 

Under no circumstances should a protected spot be used on either of Zetterberg or Kronwall...  they both are great players with a legacy here.  BUT that was then this is now, at this point in their careers we should be looking to get either one of them off the books.  This team needs some creative, forward looking management to clear the decks and start a rebuild.  We have exactly 0 star caliber players and I do include Larkin and Mantha in that statement, one or both may get there but I feel both will be really good players but not stars.

22 minutes ago, mackel said:

Under no circumstances should a protected spot be used on either of Zetterberg or Kronwall...  they both are great players with a legacy here.  BUT that was then this is now, at this point in their careers we should be looking to get either one of them off the books.  This team needs some creative, forward looking management to clear the decks and start a rebuild.  We have exactly 0 star caliber players and I do include Larkin and Mantha in that statement, one or both may get there but I feel both will be really good players but not stars.

There is no way Zetterberg is not protected. If LV drafts him I see him retiring and then us getting hit with the recapture penalty.

Plus if that were to happen, it would be an absolute embarrassment losing your captain like that. Especially in an effort to keep Helm or Abby (the guys that would likely get protected instead).

Kronwall is a different story as nobody would take him, and if they did good for us as his days are numbered anyways as LTIR has to be in his near future.

43 minutes ago, mackel said:

Honestly, I'd protect Z before Nyquist or Tatar. 

Z, Nielsen, AA, Mantha and Vanek if he signs early. After that they can have any forward. I'd also honestly protect XO, Sproul and Jensen. 

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Protect:

Nielsen, Mantha, Athanasiou, Jurco, Helm, Vanek, Glendening

Leave unprotected:

Zetterberg, Nyquist, Sheahan, Tatar, Abdelkader, Nosek, Bertuzzi

Protect:

Smith, Jensen, Ouellet

Leave unprotected:

Green, DeKeyser, Marchenko, Ericsson, Kronwall, Sproul

Protect:

Mrazek

Leave unprotected:

Howard

The Red Wings are going to lose a young defenseman to the Golden Knights.  I'm betting it's Smith after Holland protects Green, DeKeyser, and Ericsson.

There are so many things wrong with this Bill, but to just address the obvious.

- Vanek is a UFA, why would you protect him?

- Smith is a UFA and LV will not take him, and like Vanek, why would you protect him?

- Bertuzzi cannot be left unprotected as he is not eligible either way

It is ironic that you take shots at KH every chance you get, but then suggest moves that are atrocious.

Hate Nyquist all you want, but to leave him unprotected is just stupid, He does have value, maybe not as much as some may think, but to lose him for nothing is not a good move. Though I don't even think you believe what you wrote so I don't know why I even bother.

Is it so far fetched to think that Smith and Vanek will be extended before they hit free agency?  So really, there is 1 thing wrong.  Bertuzzi doesn't need to be protected.  I couldn't remember if this was his 3rd or 2nd year pro.  

Yes it is, Vanek needs to be traded there is no way around it. Also people are making a much bigger deal out of this expansion draft than it needs to be.

The Wings aren't going to lose someone who can be part of the rebuild, so I really wouldn't worry too much. Come trade deadline some rosters will look very different.

There is no doubt in my mind that Z will be protected, Kronner will soon be on LTIR, thanks to handing out ntc and nmc like candies some veterans will need to be protected. Leaving Tatar, Goose unprotected would be stupid each one should at least return a second rounder.

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Is it so far fetched to think that Smith and Vanek will be extended before they hit free agency?  So really, there is 1 thing wrong.  Bertuzzi doesn't need to be protected.  I couldn't remember if this was his 3rd or 2nd year pro.  

No, I wouldn't be surprised if they were extended before free agency at all. I would be surprised if we extended either before the expansion draft though. 

Bingo!

Holland may want these guys, but if you waste a protect on them, you may lose someone else you don't want to.

My list was short because I'm over it all. I'm all for getting picks/prospects for whoever can be dealt. Outside of Z, Larkin, Mantha, AA, Nielsen and Vanek unless he has a deal to come back in July. So I'm not even sure who I'd protect outside of Z, Nielsen, AA, Mantha because I'm not even sure who'll be here to protect after the deadline. But honestly on D, if all still here I protect XO, Sproul, Jensen. Not unless Holland swings a deal for Fowler. 

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Leaving AA unprotected would be a call for Holland's head...literally.

Here's an idea to better our goaltending:

Trade Mrazek for Bishop or Fleury. No? Ok, I am grasping at straws here...this season is making me batty!

You do realize what the term literally means right? To figuratively call for his head, that would mean firing him, to literally call for his head means you want him beheaded.

Bishop is going to get paid, and it makes no sense for us to be the team to pay him with all the long term contracts we have. Fleury is pretty much another version of Howard, and again has a big contract. Our best best is to stick it out with Mrazek, or dump him and go with Howard/Coreau.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Leaving AA unprotected would be a call for Holland's head...literally.

Here's an idea to better our goaltending:

Trade Mrazek for Bishop or Fleury. No? Ok, I am grasping at straws here...this season is making me batty!

I get that youre just being batty again, but we are already spending 9+ on goalies, do you really wanna spend 12+ on goalies? When we could just dump Mraz and ride with Howard/Coreau?

Mraz has lost a ton of trade value as well. If we could get a younger Drew Miller type for him thatd be great, but we probably wont get anymore than that.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I get that youre just being batty again, but we are already spending 9+ on goalies, do you really wanna spend 12+ on goalies? When we could just dump Mraz and ride with Howard/Coreau?

Mraz has lost a ton of trade value as well. If we could get a younger Drew Miller type for him thatd be great, but we probably wont get anymore than that.

Younger drew miller type lmao  .... Gee where else are we gonna find another bottom 6 guy, as if we don't have enough

Big reason mrazeks value is low is because we keep dicking him around and keep feeding Coreau when mrazek is the one with the star potential , Coreau was once again mediocre yet with 12 NHL games he keeps playing 

mrazek needs to start the next 3-4 

11 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Younger drew miller type lmao  .... Gee where else are we gonna find another bottom 6 guy, as if we don't have enough

Big reason mrazeks value is low is because we keep dicking him around and keep feeding Coreau when mrazek is the one with the star potential , Coreau was once again mediocre yet with 12 NHL games he keeps playing 

mrazek needs to start the next 3-4 

Drew Miller is a good hockey player

I suspect Mrazeks awful play with the addition of the attitude problem are why hes sitting. Coreau has been mediocre sure, but he also has not walked out on practicing with the team.

11 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I see what you guys are getting at.  U are right.  I have the events off.

Agreed.

As for the rest of you lot, don't worry, Ken Holland (myself) will be kicking the tires. Sheahan will be gone soon enough in the expansion draft. 

Edited by kickazz

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Drew Miller is a good hockey player

I suspect Mrazeks awful play with the addition of the attitude problem are why hes sitting. Coreau has been mediocre sure, but he also has not walked out on practicing with the team.

Leaders don't walk out on their teams.  Coreau is shaping up to be quite the team player.

Here is a question....could a team do this? 

Anaheim trades Fowler to Detroit for a 2nd round pick, Detroit protects Fowler, then Detroit trades Fowler back to Anaheim with E for a 2nd round pick?

Anaheim is able to protect Fowler, Detroit is able to dump a contract.

I'm just using E as an example, I have no idea if that would work cap wise, I'm just curious if a move like this could be pulled off or if it would be considered collusion.  

On 2/5/2017 at 9:31 PM, LeftWinger said:

Besides, in that example, I keep Fowler! :P 

Right?? Yeah yeah Anaheim, we'll give you Fowler back.. move along, nothing to see here :ninja: 

but yeah that does sound sound like something that's against the CBA. We'll just have to conveniently realize that after acquiring Fowler..