• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

He comes at 7 mil per.  Imagine Ericsson frustration x 1.5.

Ottawa seems pretty happy with Phaneuf. He's really solidified their 2nd pairing with Cody Ceci. One of the reasons I have doubts about this rumor.

The rumors I have heard is that they are considering moving Lazar before the expansion.

4 minutes ago, amato said:

Didn't dig in too deep but saw Ottawa sun speculating that the sens could do that.. the thinking is vegas wouldn't want his contract and that way Ottawa could protect Karlsson, Ceci, and Methot 

I can understand not wanting to lose Methot. He's not a super valuable player, but he's like Holmstrom was to us. Alone Homer wasn't anything crazy, but you pair him with the Euro twins and you suddenly have a super deadly top line. Methot has that with Karlsson.  

so here's how we could make the draft a bit more interesting.

Each team submits their list of protected players, starting in order from last place to Cup Champ, each team gets to pick ONE player off of the unprotected list. They only get ONE, so like Colorado takes Bishop, then they cannot take anymore, etc and so on...BUT when you select a player, you MUST protect that player from Vegas and expose another one of the same position (FWD/D/G) from your team. You can choose not to draft anyone and just keep your protected players as well. Then after 30 teams have chosen to draft someone or not, THEN Vegas gets to see the new list of exposed players. If a team loses a player in the first draft, they can then look at who is left available and replace their lost player. Yes, a team could theoretically lose two players, but they do get a second chance at drafting a player from one of the 30 teams if they lose a player to one of them. Just something to make it more fun for the fans!

Colorado drafts Bishop....must protect Bishop and expose another G...(Tampa now cannot lose another player to another team EXCEPT Vegas in the expansion draft) but now when the draft gets down to Tampa, they get 2 picks, one original and one because COL took Bishop, BUT now they have to protect those 2 and expose 2 others! This could get deep!

Fox Sports had an article about the draft.....here is the Red Wings part:

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/vegas-golden-knights-mock-expansion-draft-roundtable-020717

Detroit Red Wings

Available Age 17/18 Automatically Exempt

F Henrik Zetterberg 36 $6.083M F Dylan Larkin
F Frans Nielsen (NMC) 32 $5.25M F Evgeny Svechnikov
F Gustav Nyquist 27 $4.75M F Dylan Sadowy
F Justin Abdelkader 29 $4.25M F Givani Smith
F Darren Helm 29 $3.85M F Axel Holmstrom
F Tomas Tatar 25 RFA F Dominic Turgeon
F Thomas Vanek 32 UFA F Tyler Bertuzzi
F Riley Sheahan 24 $2.075M F Zach Nastasiuk
F Drew Miller 32 UFA F Matt Lorito
F Steve Ott 34 UFA  
F Luke Glendening 27 $1.8M D Villi Saarijarvi
F Andreas Athanasiou 22 RFA D Filip Hronek
F Johan Franzan (LTIR) 36 $3.955M D Brian Lashoff
F Joe Vitale (LTIR) 31 UFA D Daniel Renouf
F Tomas Jurco 23 RFA D Robbie Russo
F Tomas Nosek 24 $613K D Joe Hicketts
F Eric Tangradi 27 $650K  
F Ben Street 29 UFA G Jake Paterson
F Anthony Mantha 22 $863K  
F Mitch Callahan 25 RFA  

D Mike Green 31 $6.0M  
D Danny DeKeyser 26 $5.0M  
D Niklas Kronwall 35 $4.75M  
D Jonathan Ericsson 32 $4.25M  
D Brendan Smith 27 UFA  
D Alexey Marchenko 24 $1.45M  
D Xavier Ouellet 23 RFA  
D Ryan Sproul 23 $625K  
D Nick Jensen 26 RFA  

G Jimmy Howard 32 $5.292M  
G Petr Mrazek 24 $4.0M  
G Eddie Pasquale 25 RFA  
Ryan Matt Suraj
7 – 3 – 1 7 – 3 – 1 7 – 3 – 1

F Frans Nielsen (NMC) F Frans Nielsen (NMC) F Frans Nielsen (NMC)
F Henrik Zetterberg F Henrik Zetterberg F Henrik Zetterberg
F Gustav Nyquist F Gustav Nyquist F Gustav Nyquist
F Tomas Tatar F Anthony Mantha F Tomas Tatar
F Justin Abdelkader F Tomas Tatar F Justin Abdelkader
F Riley Sheahan F Riley Sheahan F Andreas Athanasiou
F Anthony Mantha F Justin Abdelkader F Anthony Mantha
D Niklas Kronwall D Mike Green D Niklas Kronwall
D Mike Green D Danny DeKeyser D Mike Green
D Danny DeKeyser D Jonathan Ericsson D Ryan Sproul
G Petr Mrazek G Petr Mrazek G Petr Mrazek

The Red Wings would likely love to save upwards of four, maybe even five defensemen with a couple of guys just starting to make an impact. Unfortunately, they’ve got far too many forwards to take care of, leaving them with the 7-3-1 scheme.

Protection Lists:

My thought process behind the list is preserving the most important players, even though it leaves a few key guys on the outside looking in. The Red Wings would surely love to protect Athanasiou, Helm, and Glendening, among others, but numbers don’t seem to support it. To save any of those forwards, it means exposing the likes of Riley Sheahan or Anthony Mantha. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Red Wings make a move which allows them to save Athanasiou, Sheahan, and Mantha

The toughest selection was that final defensive slot. We’ve opted to go with Niklas Kronwall this time around – thinking it might be unwise to leave the 35-year-old unprotected, despite his age. Detroit would probably love to protect Nick Jensen, Ryan Sproul, and Xavier Ouellet as well, so who knows which direction they head in.

– Ryan Ritchie

Q: You’ve opted to switch Ryan Sproul in favor of Danny DeKeyser in Detroit. Surely, the Red Wings would love to protect both. Any chance the Red Wings explore the possibility of leaving an aging Niklas Kronwall exposed? or, is it too risky?

I think the leadership of a Kronwall is too good to part with. We have seen plenty of teams struggle without the right experience on the roster, and Kronwall provides just that. DeKeyser is a hefty contract based on his production, and the Red Wings have plenty to gain from a younger, right-handed shooter like Sproul. Of the three, DeKeyser is the one who should be risked on the market.

On February 8, 2017 at 0:21 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Rumor has it (with both Bishop and Fleury expected to move) Howard is the #1 choice for Vegas in net. Just rumor, but I expect a lot of folks around here would be happy to hear this. If true, really makes the expansion simple for us.

That would be nice, but I dunno if I see it with his injury troubles. He's pretty much missed the entire season so far. If a team trades for Bishop, it's a rental unless he decides to re-sign with that team. If not, Vegas will get a chance at negotiating with him as a UFA before any other team with their early window allowance. I have heard Dallas and Calgary are possible destinations for Fleury, so if one of either happens, Lehtonen and Niemi, or Elliot and Johnson (both UFAs) will be available to Vegas if none are traded at the deadline. There's also Antii Raanta (NYR), James Reimer (FLA), Semyon Varlamov or Calvin Pickard (COL), etc.

If Vegas does take Howard though, great. Clears a big contract, and opens up room to snag a backup for Mrazek if Coreau isn't up to the task. It's a risk for Vegas, but could be a good snag if he can play like he did this season and stay healthy. They have to take at least three goalies though, so they'll have options. I'd snag Raanta as well myself. He's looked like starter material the past two seasons. The Rags seem to have good luck with backups lately.

18 minutes ago, kliq said:

if I listed to everything the national media said I would think Toews is the 3rd best player in the NHL.

He isn't even third best on his own team. Lol

Holland has made his fair share of boneheaded moves over the past few seasons, but there's no way he leaves Athanasiou unprotected. And even if for whatever reason he wasn't protected, it would be in favour of Helm, definitely not Sheahan...

My bet is we go with something like this...

Nielsen, Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Athanasiou, Abdelkader

Kronwall, DeKeyser, Green

Mrazek

I'm still hoping we make some trades, but as it sits right now, that's what I see happening. I'd also love for them to leave Kronwall unprotected, and protect one of the three kids, but I'm not so sure that will happen... I'm still holding out hope that one of our protections will be used on Trouba...

4 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I think we just find out their final drafted roster officially. I'm sure protected lists will leak though.

You would have to think GM's would not want them to come out. Its just asking for fans to be upset as there is no way any fan base will completely agree with the choices. As a fan though, I want to see the list!

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Holland has made his fair share of boneheaded moves over the past few seasons, but there's no way he leaves Athanasiou unprotected. And even if for whatever reason he wasn't protected, it would be in favour of Helm, definitely not Sheahan...

Mrazek

I'm still hoping we make some trades, but as it sits right now, that's what I see happening. I'd also love for them to leave Kronwall unprotected, and protect one of the three kids, but I'm not so sure that will happen... I'm still holding out hope that one of our protections will be used on Trouba...

Nah, not even Holland would leave AA off his protected list. Especially now that Mr. I is gone, if he pulled that and he was claimed, that would be grounds for a good kick in the ass out the door. He's one of the few valuable young players to build around in coming years.

I agree Z needs to be protected, but Kronwall would be a waste of a spot. He isn't a big loss at this point, and would Vegas even claim him? His best years are way behind him, he's injured often, honestly a liability on the ice, probably near retirement. They will have better options, although they may consider him for veteran leadership, cup championship, and if he does hit LTIRetirement, they can use his healthy cap hit to sign a good second pairing guy anyway. In the end i'd leave him out and protect XO/Sproul. The future is more important, even if those two may not be Wings long term, they are needed now.

10 minutes ago, kliq said:

You would have to think GM's would not want them to come out. Its just asking for fans to be upset as there is no way any fan base will completely agree with the choices. As a fan though, I want to see the list!

Very true, can't please everyone. And I want to see the list too. I'm sure most of us do.

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

The other reason not to protect Konwall is there is pretty much zero chance LV wastes a pick on a guy who's career could be over any time due to his knees. It just doesn't make sense. 

Exactly. Even if they do take him, all the better. Another sizeable contract with two years left wiped out. Hell, take Errorsson with him!

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Mrazek

This is the group I see being protected too. I'd go one step further on your AA point too and say it'd be in favor of helm and we'd probably have some deal with Vegas so they agree to not take AA. His ceiling is too high to lose him for nothing. 

Even though protecting helm and making a deal would be a worse deal for us than just protecting AA in the first place :P