• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

I don't think there is a single fan that would protect Kronwall at this point in his career, but can anyone say with any sort of certainty, that Holland wouldn't protect him? I'd hope he wouldn't, but I think there's a strong possibility that he would... The protection would obviously be much better served, using it on one of the younger defensemen.

I too would love to see Holland's protected list, as well as the rest of the league. I'm hoping they will be leaked prior to the expansion draft...

Hey, leaks are the in thing in today's world, we'll probably see the lists!

No way should Kronner be protected. With the likes of possibly one or two of Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, Abby and Howard being left unprotected, I think Kronwall, with his injuries, is a pretty safe bet to not go claimed. OF course all this depends on DL moves next week, but this is what I'd be happy with seeing if no moves are made. 

Nielsen, Z, AA, Mantha, Tatar, Abby, Helm

DD, XO, Jensen

Mrazek

I hesitate on leaving Green unprotected, but it would lift a big burden off our cap, which is in peril right now. Highest cap in the NHL, 4th worst team...

1 hour ago, amato said:

Green needs to be protected and then traded at next years deadline if we're sellers then. 

He'd be one of the best rentals on the market.. Losing him for nothing isn't worth the cap relief imo. 

Absolutely. And if for some unknown reason we didn't want to keep Green beyond this season, you don't just leave him unprotected, you trade him at the deadline. He's one of our best trade chips, so he either needs to be traded in the next week, or protected this summer and traded before next year's trade deadline. The assets we would gain in the trade, in addition to another season with Green are more valuable than any one player we could potentially lose in the expansion draft. I still really hope Vegas doesn't take Sproul though. I still think he's the only one of the kids with a ceiling beyond top 4...

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Absolutely. And if for some unknown reason we didn't want to keep Green beyond this season, you don't just leave him unprotected, you trade him at the deadline. He's one of our best trade chips, so he either needs to be traded in the next week, or protected this summer and traded before next year's trade deadline. The assets we would gain in the trade, in addition to another season with Green are more valuable than any one player we could potentially lose in the expansion draft. I still really hope Vegas doesn't take Sproul though. I still think he's the only one of the kids with a ceiling beyond top 4...

Based on your list of protects, I think Vegas would take helm. Just a guess obviously.. who knows what else they do around the league. Maybe they'd take howard depending on how the goalie market shakes out. Sproul would be a possibillity too of course but I don't think he'd top their list of red wings expansion picks.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Hey, leaks are the in thing in today's world, we'll probably see the lists!

No way should Kronner be protected. With the likes of possibly one or two of Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, Abby and Howard being left unprotected, I think Kronwall, with his injuries, is a pretty safe bet to not go claimed. OF course all this depends on DL moves next week, but this is what I'd be happy with seeing if no moves are made. 

Nielsen, Z, AA, Mantha, Tatar, Abby, Helm

DD, XO, Jensen

Mrazek

I hesitate on leaving Green unprotected, but it would lift a big burden off our cap, which is in peril right now. Highest cap in the NHL, 4th worst team...

The thing is, Green only has one year left after this season. Doesn't hurt the team. He'll easily bring in at least a second round pick at next year's deadline. It's the long-term contracts like Ericsson's that hurt. 

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings will protect Danny DeKeyser and Mike Green for the expansion draft. The third could depend on whether they re-sign Brendan Smith. If they are able to re-sign him in the $3.5 to $3.75 million range, they will protect him.

The Wings could also trade for a defenseman after the season and before the expansion draft and protect him.

If they don’t re-sign Smith, and don’t trade for a defenseman, they would likely make Nick Jensen their third protected defenseman. That would mean they’d expose Jonathan Ericsson, Niklas Kronwall, Xavier Oullet and Ryan Sproul.

If the trade Smith, I would be perfectly OK with them protecting DD, Green and Jensen.  SO happy for my boy Jensen for coming so far! Especially after all the slack I took a couple of seasons ago! :lol:

...but $3.5 to $3.75M for Smith? No thanks.

10 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

So basically we lose ouellet on waivers ... Just f***en greattt

and why handcuff us with another garbage contract , for the love of God holland needs to get f***en lost 

Why would we put XO on waivers? Did Holland say this and I missed it?

55 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I think he means claimed in the expansion draft...

Oh ok, that makes more sense. I like XO a lot, but I dont see him getting claimed, and even if he does compared to other teams out there I dont think its going to be a big loss. I think LV will take one of Howard, Helm, Abby, or Sheahan. Fingers crossed for E!

Edited by kliq

Listen, you protect Nielsen, AA, Mantha, Zetterberg, then any 3 of Helm, Abby, Tatar, Nyquist, Glendening, Sheahan. What are the odds he leaves Abby and Helm unprotected? So now you choose one of Nyquist or Tatar. If either of those two are available, odds are they're not looking at XO or Sproul. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I think they'd ****** one of the forwards up first.

:lol: They curse word filter censored my word! It rhymes with catch, but with a SN.

Edited by LeftWinger

I'd take anything HSJ writes or says with skepticism. Remember when she wrote that Coreau would be the best of the three goalies to protect, after a total of ten whole NHL games under his belt? There's no way she knows for sure who any of the players the Wings are planning to protect are, besides the obvious ones like Nielson, Zetterberg and DeKeyser. I'm sure the list will leak, but it's a bit early for that.

21 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

I really like XO, would never leave him unprotected. Jensen too. Leave all the overpaid guys for grabs and hope for bad management in Vegas. Best chance to fix your cap you'll ever get.

I agree. But there's no way Holland leaves DeKeyser unprotected. And if he doesn't trade Green by the deadline, he has to be protected. Be good to have him around next season, plus he'll fetch a good return at the deadline then. The last one is the tough one, unless Smith is re-signed. Then he'll be protected. If not, one of Jensen/XO/Sproul will be.

The good thing is Vegas can only snag one player. I hope it's a forward unless they take Kronwall, Errorsson, or Howard. Lol

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Well if that's the case, then one of Abby and Helm get left unprotected. Either way, I think any one of those four would get taken before XO or Sproul. 

Yeah my guess for Vegas is probably helm.. but also what seems like most every wings fan view of "hopefully Ericsson or Howard" :P 

http://mobile.twitter.com/ehornick/status/836019739155640320

So a Vegas pro scout has suggested the team may select upwards of 7 goalies. Crazy right? The thought process is selecting based on value, not need. And because lots of good goalies will be available to them, unlike with other positions, draft goalies, hoarde them, and exchange them this summer for the players Vegas actually wants. Sounds smart on paper, but i think the other GMs will just stand pat till the season starts knowing they cant operate with 7 goalies, forcing prices down. Thoughts? Guy may just be blowing smoke.

26 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

So, with Smith not signing here's our D protection:

DD,  Green, Jensen.

You now protect Nielsen, AA, Mantha and Z up front. Which other forwards do you protect?

I go with Abby, Helm and Tatar. 

I still protect XO or Sproul over Jensen.

As far as forwards, I protect helm, nyquist and Tatar, expose Abby.

On 2/27/2017 at 3:14 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

http://mobile.twitter.com/ehornick/status/836019739155640320

So a Vegas pro scout has suggested the team may select upwards of 7 goalies. Crazy right? The thought process is selecting based on value, not need. And because lots of good goalies will be available to them, unlike with other positions, draft goalies, hoarde them, and exchange them this summer for the players Vegas actually wants. Sounds smart on paper, but i think the other GMs will just stand pat till the season starts knowing they cant operate with 7 goalies, forcing prices down. Thoughts? Guy may just be blowing smoke.

it sounds incredibly risky, and i think the difference between goalie skill level around is incredibly tight these days.  I dont think the move would really handcuff the league into trading for a goalie from them.

I was looking at teams rosters to see what Vegas might look like after trades etc...

was thinking is there  any way holland trades ones of our 3rd rounders to protect 2-3 guys from vegas? (Is that even allowed?)

with all the talk of teams after sheahan and us not moving him , if we don't trade him he has to be protected right? 

Possibly leaving helm abdelkader, 2 of Jensen ouellet sproul available .... I'd like to think we'd protect both ouellet and  sproul somehow .... Maybe even a 7th for Jensen/sproul? Since 7ths barely make it anyways