• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Then I guess it's Helm then...guess we'll see soon enough who gets taken.

Smart move would probably be to trade Sheahan (if he is worth a 1st, LV will take him just to trade him) then protect Z, Nielsen, Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, AA, Mantha and leave Abby exposed. 

I dont think LV is opposed to picking up bad contracts because of the cap floor, but I can't see them wanting that term of 6 more years, plus Abby is having an awful year. You do this, and I think it increases the probability of LV taking an E or Howard, or worst case taking an XO, Jensen, Sproul, Bertuzzi, Glendenning most of which I like and want to keep, but wont be the worst thing in the world. 

8 minutes ago, kliq said:

Smart move would probably be to trade Sheahan (if he is worth a 1st, LV will take him just to trade him) then protect Z, Nielsen, Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, AA, Mantha and leave Abby exposed. 

I dont think LV is opposed to picking up bad contracts because of the cap floor, but I can't see them wanting that term of 6 more years, plus Abby is having an awful year. You do this, and I think it increases the probability of LV taking an E or Howard, or worst case taking an XO, Jensen, Sproul, Bertuzzi, Glendenning most of which I like and want to keep, but wont be the worst thing in the world. 

I don't see Sheahan getting anything close to a 1st round pick. I know there were rumours that he could go for a 1st, but there were also rumours that Vanek could go for a 1st plus, and all we got was a 3rd.

I'd prefer to keep Helm over Abdelkader too, but I just don't see Holland leaving his assistant captain unprotected. For the same reason, I wouldn't be shocked to see Kronwall protected either... Imagine using a protection on a 36 year old broken down Kronwall over one of the 23 year old kids...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't see Sheahan getting anything close to a 1st round pick. I know there were rumours that he could go for a 1st, but there were also rumours that Vanek could go for a 1st plus, and all we got was a 3rd.

I'd prefer to keep Helm over Abdelkader too, but I just don't see Holland leaving his assistant captain unprotected. For the same reason, I wouldn't be shocked to see Kronwall protected either... Imagine using a protection on a 36 year old broken down Kronwall over one of the 23 year old kids...

I worry that you are right about this. At least in Kronwall's case, I would say there is little to no chance LV takes him, but Abby could be chosen and that idea alone may be motivation to protect him. I'm with you in that I take Helm and his 4 years over Abby and his 6 every time. Unless we trade Tatar and protect both which I could see happening as well. I really like Helm as a 3rd line C and dont want him gone.

I can agree that if the entire Red Wings system and philosophy is overhauled,  Nyquist could thrive again. But in all honesty, I can't see that happening. 

I still believe that Abby and Helm gets protected and one of Nyquist/Tatar gets exposed...but, we'll see! 

Here's a question, so we can get away from the arguing, what if he protects Sheahan, which TWO of the four being debated do you think get exposed?

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Here's a question, so we can get away from the arguing, what if he protects Sheahan, which TWO of the four being debated do you think get exposed?

Between Sheahan, Abby, Tatar, Nyquist, Helm?

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I can agree that if the entire Red Wings system and philosophy is overhauled,  Nyquist could thrive again. But in all honesty, I can't see that happening. 

I still believe that Abby and Helm gets protected and one of Nyquist/Tatar gets exposed...but, we'll see! 

IF Sheahan were to be protected, I see it being Z, Nielsen, AA, Mantha, Nyquist and Abby with Helm and Tatar being exposed, personally I would expose Abby and Tatar in that group (if I had to protect Sheahan), but I wouldnt protect Sheahan. A trade needs to be coming. 

A team like TO would be perfect as they dont have a lot of guys they need to protect as most of their best players are exempt.

Edited by kliq

5 minutes ago, kliq said:

It sucks for us, but its smart. Revealing the lists will just lead to a % of every fan base going nuts. Not to mention, players are essentially being ranked, probably best they dont see as well.

Yeah was going to say this. This is most likely for the players benefit. Some will be exposed and will not be picked. Don't want your players holding a grudge because you exposed, and were willing to lose them.

I guess I could see the players potentially feeling ranked by importance or whatever messing with some egos.. but I would think GMs will be open about who is/isn't being protected with the players themselves whether the lists are public or not. 

Making the lists public a little before the expansion draft results are announced would get the casual fans more interested in the draft/speculation surrounding it. Obviously most of us on here will still follow and speculate whether the lists are public or not, but i think many more people would actively follow the expansion process with more information being conveniently available to them. 

The only concern I could see is Vegas using other fan bases reactions as help on who to pick; and even that seems like a little bit of a stretch. I don't think there would be any negative effects of releasing the lists after vegas picks/before their picks are announced.. I guess it's not really a big deal though. 

53 minutes ago, amato said:

I guess I could see the players potentially feeling ranked by importance or whatever messing with some egos.. but I would think GMs will be open about who is/isn't being protected with the players themselves whether the lists are public or not. 

Making the lists public a little before the expansion draft results are announced would get the casual fans more interested in the draft/speculation surrounding it. Obviously most of us on here will still follow and speculate whether the lists are public or not, but i think many more people would actively follow the expansion process with more information being conveniently available to them. 

The only concern I could see is Vegas using other fan bases reactions as help on who to pick; and even that seems like a little bit of a stretch. I don't think there would be any negative effects of releasing the lists after vegas picks/before their picks are announced.. I guess it's not really a big deal though. 

I dont believe any teams management will be forthcoming with their players about who is protected and who's not. There's zero need to release that information, and that information will only be used by players agents to their advantage. Fans shouldnt expect to recieve internal knowledge like that. It compromises business. That being said, if teams wanted to do it, id be all for it. Just doubt they do, which is exactly why i expect theyre choosing not to.

I honestly don't know the big deal about it. if I were a player I wouldn't want the public especially the media knowing this information because it would just lead to baseless speculation and what not.

Of course the loud guys on hfboards and some media outlets will cry foul because the lists won't be public but I'm sure players and GM's couldn't care less. Vegas will get solid players but nothing too fancy

Just think of how awkward it would be if you knew your team left you exposed and then you weren't claimed: It would be like returning to a marriage when your spouse tells you they don't love you, haha. It'd be even worse if everybody else knew the situation. The expansion draft shouldn't be something that causes animosity amongst other organizations. I hope even the player don't hear about the lists.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I don't by in to the whole "they are professionals" argument" either. A lot of these players are in their early 20's straight out of high school. Sure they are professional athletes, but they are still kids.

I've seen quite a few mock expansion drafts over the past few days and I'm just curious who everyone wants to see taken from the Red Wings. Most mocks have Vegas taking Sheahan, but I've also seen Helm, Glendening, Ouellet, Sproul, Athanasiou (never going to happen), Howard and even Kronwall... We have to lose one player, so who does everyone want to lose out of the players mentioned, or maybe someone else?...

I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow convince Vegas to take Ericsson, by throwing in a sweetener (one of our many 3rd round picks). I'd also be okay with them taking Howard, although I think he should have some value if he keeps up his stellar play. I would also like to see either one of Abdelkader or Glendening taken, although not likely. I still love Helm in our bottom 6, so I hope we keep him. I hope we don't lose any of our young defensemen either.

My protection list would be: Nielsen (NMC), Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Athanasiou, Helm, Green, DeKeyser, Jensen, Mrazek. But in order to protect beyond those 11, I'd throw Vegas a draft pick and / or mid tier prospect, to get them to take a particular player...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I've seen quite a few mock expansion drafts over the past few days and I'm just curious who everyone wants to see taken from the Red Wings. Most mocks have Vegas taking Sheahan, but I've also seen Helm, Glendening, Ouellet, Sproul, Athanasiou (never going to happen), Howard and even Kronwall... We have to lose one player, so who does everyone want to lose out of the players mentioned, or maybe someone else?...

I'd be ecstatic if we could somehow convince Vegas to take Ericsson, by throwing in a sweetener (one of our many 3rd round picks). I'd also be okay with them taking Howard, although I think he should have some value if he keeps up his stellar play. I would also like to see either one of Abdelkader or Glendening taken, although not likely. I still love Helm in our bottom 6, so I hope we keep him. I hope we don't lose any of our young defensemen either.

My protection list would be: Nielsen (NMC), Zetterberg, Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Athanasiou, Helm, Green, DeKeyser, Jensen, Mrazek. But in order to protect beyond those 11, I'd throw Vegas a draft pick and / or mid tier prospect, to get them to take a particular player...

Agree with your list except for a few spots 

with the attention sheahan got on the trade front, especially from the leafs I think we'd be able to land a second pick for him so I wouldn't risk him being exposed , can't for the life of me see him going scoreless again(helm has also suffered a lot of injuries )

jensen as good as he's been he's a 5-6 , sproul has more upside although I think it's pointless to debate cause we all know how loyal holland is so whether we want it or not I think kronwall will be protected 

as for trading away a pick to protect a player , unless it includes multiple players  id much rather use one of our 6ths and leave our 3rd rounders alone , we have to strike gold in that round

and we have to use Howard's good 20 games to get rid of him , not sure of our cap situation from the weiss and other debacles but maybe howard for niemi and a 2nd then buy out niemi?id have to think about who needs a goalie and look at our cap 

10 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Agree with your list except for a few spots 

with the attention sheahan got on the trade front, especially from the leafs I think we'd be able to land a second pick for him so I wouldn't risk him being exposed , can't for the life of me see him going scoreless again(helm has also suffered a lot of injuries )

jensen as good as he's been he's a 5-6 , sproul has more upside although I think it's pointless to debate cause we all know how loyal holland is so whether we want it or not I think kronwall will be protected 

as for trading away a pick to protect a player , unless it includes multiple players  id much rather use one of our 6ths and leave our 3rd rounders alone , we have to strike gold in that round

and we have to use Howard's good 20 games to get rid of him , not sure of our cap situation from the weiss and other debacles but maybe howard for niemi and a 2nd then buy out niemi?id have to think about who needs a goalie and look at our cap 

I don't want to lose Sheahan, but if we did, it wouldn't be a huge loss. Helm is more valuable to this team, even with the injury history.

I agree that Sproul has more upside then Jensen, but just coming off a season ending knee injury, it's hard to say where he fits in going into next season. I could see this organization giving Sproul the Jurco treatment. I don't think he has been utilized properly early on in his development, but who knows how they manage him going forward. All of this is beside the point though. The protected list is irrelevant if we're somehow able to persuade Vegas into taking a particular player (Ericsson). Of course you'd rather give up a 6th than a 3rd, but that isn't enough to get a team to take a bad contract, and giving up a 3rd round pick would be more than worth it to get a big contract like that off the books.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

BTW, looks like the Raiders are moving to Vegas. This is bad for that hockey team.

In better news, the golden knights signed Cirque Du Soleil. Does anyone have a scouting report on this kid? Can't find anything on a Du Soleil.

Not sure if you're serious...

Edited by robb himself

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't want to lose Sheahan, but if we did, it wouldn't be a huge loss. Helm is more valuable to this team, even with the injury history.

I agree that Sproul has more upside then Jensen, but just coming off a season ending knee injury, it's hard to say where he fits in going into next season. I could see this organization giving Sproul the Jurco treatment. I don't think he has been utilized properly early on in his development, but who knows how they manage him going forward. All of this is beside the point though. The protected list is irrelevant if we're somehow able to persuade Vegas into taking a particular player (Ericsson). Of course you'd rather give up a 6th than a 3rd, but that isn't enough to get a team to take a bad contract, and giving up a 3rd round pick would be more than worth it to get a big contract like that off the books.

If were giving up on  Sheahan  id much rather get a 2nd than just giving him away , guess where helm is concerned we'll have to agree To disagree , don't think he will ever play a full season again

getting Rid of ericsson would be great but don't see any team taking him.... We'll see what happens in june

13 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

If were giving up on  Sheahan  id much rather get a 2nd than just giving him away , guess where helm is concerned we'll have to agree To disagree , don't think he will ever play a full season again

getting Rid of ericsson would be great but don't see any team taking him.... We'll see what happens in june

Again... Leaving Sheahan or any player unprotected and protecting other players would just be a formality if we could convince Vegas to take a specific player. They cannot take more than one player, so in that case we could leave Sheahan, Athanasiou and Mantha unprotected, and it wouldn't matter.

Vegas will be looking to take on a few big contracts, just to reach the cap floor. So yes, getting rid of a player like Ericsson is a real possibility in this expansion draft, if we're willing to add another asset. Holland really needs to get creative this summer in order to rid this team of a couple bad contracts and set the rebuild off right.