• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

How mad will everyone be if we lose XO or Jensen because Kronwall gets protected?

I don't know if mad is the right word.. a little bummed out maybe but that's going to happen to a lot of teams/fans. I think our prospects we've got further down the pipeline will be better than xo, Jensen, and Sproul anyway. 

How mad will everyone be if we lose XO or Jensen because Kronwall gets protected?

Not mad it was bound to happen and the Wings aren't going to lose a top 4 guy or a top 6 forward so who cares

This ed seeems more like a media show most teams are going to lose either a contract they don't want or a guy that's easily replaceable...Sens and Wild are the exception they'll lose good defenders

1 minute ago, HockeytownRules19 said:

Red Wings protect Abdelkader, Athanasiou, Mantha, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Zetterberg, DeKeyser, Green, Jensen, Howard.

Whoa no Petr

Here comes LGW meltdown... Hopefully Holland has some sort of side deal with McPhee...

Side deal or not, this shows again that Ken Holland is out of touch. There was absolutely no reason to protect Jimmy Howard. None, zero. I've been skeptical in believing Kenny could turn over a new leaf and approach things differently, and here we are.

1 minute ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

Side deal or not, this shows again that Ken Holland is out of touch. There was absolutely no reason to protect Jimmy Howard. None, zero. I've been skeptical in believing Kenny could turn over a new leaf and approach things differently, and here we are.

I agree. Any side deal should have been saved for, we'll give you a pick if you take Ericsson, not we'all give you a pick in order to protect both goalies...

If Mrazek actually is exposed, there's zero chance Vegas don't take him, and if Mrazek is taken in the expansion draft, this place will erupt, and for good reason...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

I agree. Any side deal should have been saved for, we'll give you a pick if you take Ericsson, not we'all give you a pick in order to protect both goalies...

Right. If Columbus is going to be able to ditch Clarkson who can't even play anymore, we hypothetically could've got rid of Ericsson. Except Holland never thought for a minute about moving Ericsson. Now it's fairly obvious he never thought about moving Howard either, if he was going to do that he would've left him unprotected. It's gonna be an interesting few days I guess...

Now I guess it is possible that Holland already has a plan in place... Maybe McPhee has already accepted the offer of pick and / or prospect to take Ericsson, making his protection list irrelevant... He decided to protect Howard "out of loyalty", when it really doesn't matter which goalie he protected because they're both safe... Maybe... Let's hope this is the case...

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Now I guess it is possible that Holland already has a plan in place... Maybe McPhee has already accepted the offer of pick and / or prospect to take Ericsson, making his protection list irrelevant...

But he said he has no intention of making such a deal with Vegas, right?

A thought, from WIIIM:

With Holland stating that the Wings won’t spend any assets to direct Vegas one way or the other or towards or away from certain players, Wings fans can mostly play the waiting game. One thing we can watch out for, though, is a trade working with Vegas as the intermediary (Team A trades to Vegas, Vegas trades to Detroit) - Holland never mentioned the Wings being out of this kind of dealing, so it’s possible (however unlikely) that there could be a new face on our roster by the 21st to supplant whoever we lose.

Not bloody likely, but it's something. I guess.

St. James is the absolute worst... There is no way Vegas takes Sheahan or Ouellet over Mrazek, unless there is something going down under the table that we don't yet know about. She's trying to spin it as if they won't take him because they're taking Fleury and won't want a $4M backup. Even if they didn't want that much tied up in a backup, Mrazek is a big enough trade chip, that they could easily take him and flip him to another team...

Vegas will take best player available from every team, as long as they're within the parameters, 14F, 9D, 3G, players under contract and salary cap. 

From WiiM: 

Holland is done with Mrazek

This one is the most-speculative and I’ve never heard the rumblings from anybody I’d consider an insider, but there are rumors out there that the Wings and Mrazek are not exactly simpatico in terms of Mrazek’s attitude/behavior. Unfortunately, this exposure seems to add credence to this thought. In the immediate aftermath, it’s what makes sense to me, but I have to stress that this is nothing but speculation at this point.

Ultimately, whatever reason the Red Wings have for not having protected Mrazek, I think this is roster mismanagement. If the Wings either wanted or are ready to accept Mrazek moving on, then regardless of the reason, they should have found a way to get more value for him prior to the expansion list coming out. Even if there were apparently no takers (like Helene St. James hints at here), then holding that value until more suitors arrived would have been the better plan.