• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

An expansion team would not be able to take any more than one player from each team. There's no chance the player they would pick from us would be down in Grand Rapids unless it were a Svechnikov level prospect, and even then I doubt it. I think these expansion teams would elect to take the veteran guys over prospects, unless they were can't miss prospects, which would not be available.

I think we would end up protecting: Forwards - Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou. Defense - Kronwall, DeKeyser, Smith. Goalie - Mrazek. I think we would end up losing either Howard or Ericsson...

An expansion team would not be able to take any more than one player from each team. There's no chance the player they would pick from us would be down in Grand Rapids unless it were a Svechnikov level prospect, and even then I doubt it. I think these expansion teams would elect to take the veteran guys over prospects, unless they were can't miss prospects, which would not be available.

I think we would end up protecting: Forwards - Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Nyquist, Abdelkader, Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou. Defense - Kronwall, DeKeyser, Smith. Goalie - Mrazek. I think we would end up losing either Howard or Ericsson...

heard from tsn guys the expansion team(s) are lookin to get younger and not go for older veterans like last expansion teams have done

So I could see them getting some veterans and some younger prospects here and there ... My only thing is i don't wanna lose someone real good or someone we developed

Agree with you there are good chances we could lose a Howard or Ericsson, possibly green if a team wants to hit the bottom but not be handcuffed with longterm deals

Wouldn't want to waste a spot on datsyuk since he's gonna be a ufa , all he has to do is delay the signing and we can protect a Tatar (providing he and/or nyquist are still here)

I'd personally also prefer to save a d spot on a ouellet/marchenko type over smith ... I'm personally over smith

Just saw on they said the nhlpa will fight to have players with no trade clauses unavailable for expansion

Howard green Ericsson all have them haha ... Wow , any of those were the ones I was hoping would be gone

How in the hell does green and Ericsson have a no trade?

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

heard from tsn guys the expansion team(s) are lookin to get younger and not go for older veterans like last expansion teams have done

So I could see them getting some veterans and some younger prospects here and there ... My only thing is i don't wanna lose someone real good or someone we developed

Agree with you there are good chances we could lose a Howard or Ericsson, possibly green if a team wants to hit the bottom but not be handcuffed with longterm deals

Wouldn't want to waste a spot on datsyuk since he's gonna be a ufa , all he has to do is delay the signing and we can protect a Tatar (providing he and/or nyquist are still here)

I'd personally also prefer to save a d spot on a ouellet/marchenko type over smith ... I'm personally over smith

Just saw on they said the nhlpa will fight to have players with no trade clauses unavailable for expansion

Howard green Ericsson all have them haha ... Wow , any of those were the ones I was hoping would be gone

If the NHLPA wins that then all Holland has to do is re-sign all of his RFA's and whatever UFA's he may to contracts with NTC's, then he could protect more young players...

If the NHLPA wins that then all Holland has to do is re-sign all of his RFA's and whatever UFA's he may to contracts with NTC's, then he could protect more young players...

It depends on the rule. If players with a NTC have to be protected, that means it's more likely that a guy like AA would end up exposed. If the rule is set so that the Vegas Cash Grab can't take a player with a NTC regardless of whether or not he's protected, it will meant hat they won't have hardly anyone to choose from, which makes me believe that anyone with a NTC would have to be on the protected list. I also saw something that said a team would have to leave a certain percentage of their cap unprotected so they can't just sign a half dozen scrubs and leave them exposed instead of protecting all of their good players.

true, but I was referring to maybe the players with NTC's were automatically protected from getting selected, so they wouldn't have to put a tag on them. That would allow more protection for players without NTC's.

true, but I was referring to maybe the players with NTC's were automatically protected from getting selected, so they wouldn't have to put a tag on them. That would allow more protection for players without NTC's.

Like I said, that would mean some teams would only have a couple players available. if a team had 5 forwards and 2 D with a NTC, they's have 12 forwards and 5 D protected, leaving 2 forwards, 2 D and a goalie. That's not going to fly. I'll be shocked if NTC players don't have to be on the ptected list, meaning other players who should be safe won't be.

Edited by DickieDunn

If anything I could see players with NMC being except, not NTC. You can can put a player with a NTC on waivers right? If yes, I dont see how this is much different.

A player with a NTC can be waived. It depends on if the PA wins the argument or not, which would mean a concession in a different area most likely.

No lol. He's got TBI no one's picking that guy up.

He could still be exposed

But it would most definitely make it very interesting...He could re-sign Sheahan, Mrazek, Dekeyser and possilby Marchenko all to two year deals with NMC's in order to not have to protect them.

Which is why I doubt they'll be exempt from having to be on the protected list. The real question is what happens if a team has more guys with a NTC than they can protect?

From The Hockey Writers: http://thehockeywriters.com/least-flexibility-in-an-expansion-draft/

One snag for many teams will be that it’s believed that players with no move clauses — not no trade clauses — will have to be protected. (Deputy Commissioner Bill) Daly said they would never be exempted from the process, which means they will need to be a part of a team’s “protected list.”

Also, the Jets have 3 D with NMC, Enstrom, Myers, and Buff. Trouba and Morrissey will be unprotected unless they choose to only protect 3 forwards under the 7F/3D/1G or 8 skaters and 1 goalie rule.

How many Wings have a NMC instead of a NTC?

Edited by DickieDunn

Sounds like one more reason Winnipeg may decide to trade Trouba to get something for him while they can... Holland needs to be all over this.

I know we'd likely have Kronwall on our list, but we need to trade for a top pairing guy before then (Trouba)... I'd personally leave Kronwall unprotected and go with Trouba, DeKeyser and Smith as our three protected defensemen...

Sounds like one more reason Winnipeg may decide to trade Trouba to get something for him while they can... Holland needs to be all over this.

I know we'd likely have Kronwall on our list, but we need to trade for a top pairing guy before then (Trouba)... I'd personally leave Kronwall unprotected and go with Trouba, DeKeyser and Smith as our three protected defensemen...

Why Smith? He's got the brains of a mentally challenged lemur

I know, Smith sux... unfortunately the stats say otherwise... He is the best puck possession defenseman on the team, and one of the best in the entire league... Smith's mistakes get magnified for two reasons, 1 because defensemen that control the play as much as he does, are bound to get caught from time to time (he does far more good than he does bad), and 2 because the majority of the fan base haven't gotten over the player he was two years ago and still point out his mistakes as much as possible...

I know, Smith sux... unfortunately the stats say otherwise... He is the best puck possession defenseman on the team, and one of the best in the entire league... Smith's mistakes get magnified for two reasons, 1 because defensemen that control the play as much as he does, are bound to get caught from time to time (he does far more good than he does bad), and 2 because the majority of the fan base haven't gotten over the player he was two years ago and still point out his mistakes as much as possible...

No, it's because he's not good. Quincey gets blamed for 2 years ago, Smith gets blamed for now.

Quincey gets blamed for two years ago by the exact same people that blame Smith for two years ago, and the same people that say this team sucks... If you can't see what Smith brings I don't know what to tell you, but there's not a single defenseman on this team that can skate and handle the puck the way he does. He's a very important element to a team that lacks foot speed on the back end. You can refuse to see it, and you can refuse the stats all you want, but Smith is a very good defenseman. I absolutely would protect Smith and DeKeyser and hopefully another top pair guy that we acquire via trade. Don't agree? Awesome. Who would you protect?...

Quincey gets blamed for two years ago by the exact same people that blame Smith for two years ago, and the same people that say this team sucks... If you can't see what Smith brings I don't know what to tell you, but there's not a single defenseman on this team that can skate and handle the puck the way he does. He's a very important element to a team that lacks foot speed on the back end. You can refuse to see it, and you can refuse the stats all you want, but Smith is a very good defenseman. I absolutely would protect Smith and DeKeyser and hopefully another top pair guy that we acquire via trade. Don't agree? Awesome. Who would you protect?...

He handles the puck well, and makes decisions on both ends of the ice that make you wonder if he has a fully functioning brain, negating any positive impact he has. He may not be as bad as he was 2 years ago, but that doesn't mean he's good.

Protect Dekeyser, Kronwall (assuming he bounces back from this crap show of an injury plagued season), and hopefully Holland wakes up and gets someone else worth protecting.

Edited by DickieDunn

Yeah, he's really dumb... probably dropped on his head as a child... :no2: Remember that play he made at the end of last season against the Habs? Remember that? What an idiot... Probably the dumbest hockey player ever... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Smith is our best puck mover, and is constantly making offensive plays. The points haven't been coming the way they probably should, but I still think they will eventually... He makes great pinches and holds the zone as good as or better than anyone on the team, the only other guys that are capable of holding the zone on a consistent basis, are DeKeyser and Green. For every time he gets caught pinching trying to keep the play alive there are a dozen times he makes a great play to maintain offensive pressure.

You would keep a 36 year old, declining Kronwall over a 28 year old, prime Smith? Cool. I wouldn't.