• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

ReI'm more worried about losing a young guy like coreau , the more Blashill plays him the more i believe we risk losing him (think Vegas will select a lot more younger players with upside than people might think)

also worried   about  bertuzzi, anyone know if he's eligible to be claimed?

id protect 

mrazek 

dekeyser-ouellett-sproul

mantha-athanasiou-Nielsen-nyquist-tatar-abdelkader-bertuzzi

assuming bertuzzi can be claimed and Tatar and nyquist aren't dealt (otherwise protect zetterberg,although I do think he will be protected)

green has one year left so we shouldn't waste a spot on him,kronwall is injury prone and has term 

helm is also injury prone so leave him exposed 

21 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So Vegas can draft players without contracts that aren't protected? For example if we did not protect Vanek Vegas could draft him and then negotiate a contract with him before FA? Does same apply to Tatar?

That's correct, and as far as I know, if they were to take a player from free agency, they would not be eligible to take another player from the team that owned his rights the previous year. So if Vegas wanted to sign Vanek or Smith, they would not be able to take another player from us in the expansion draft...

34 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So Vegas can draft players without contracts that aren't protected? For example if we did not protect Vanek Vegas could draft him and then negotiate a contract with him before FA? Does same apply to Tatar?

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/

But here is this tidbit, any FA'S left unprotected, even AFTER the draft, they are given 48 hours of negotiations before july 1st. So they could sign a FA that you didn't protect during the expansion draft. Or they could snag a UFA 2 days before you even get a chance to sign them. 

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/las-vegas-will-have-exclusive-48-hour-window-to-negotiate-with-unprotected-free-agents

Edited by LeftWinger

Vegas can draft free agents (both UFA and RFA) but have to draft 20 players that are under contract for next season.. so Vegas could get the first crack at 10 total UFA and RFA combined. 

They do get that 48 hour window too but obviously we could negotiate with our own free agents before then (assuming they're not selected). 

As far as Bert goes, I believe he's automatically exempt because this is his second full season.. the two games plus playoffs the year before doesn't count toward the two full seasons rule.

Vegas also enters the draft lottery with the same odds as the team with the third fewest points.. and I think they get the third slot and  therefore can select no later than 6th overall. 

Edited by amato

Wait, that's wrong (re: free agents)... 

accoridng to LeBrun

Sources told ESPN.com that as part of these fascinating expansion-draft rules we keep learning about, the Vegas organization will have a 48-hour window ahead of the expansion draft in June to speak with and sign any pending unrestricted or restricted free agents whom the 30 teams left unprotected for the expansion draft

And the same goes for RFAs, who obviously are younger. Any RFAs left unprotected for the expansion draft can become property of the Vegas franchise if they agree to terms on a new contract within that 48-hour window.

Another important detail: If any of the 30 teams loses a free agent to Vegas during this 48-hour window, it no longer can lose anyone in the expansion draft. In other words, that free agent lost counts as the one player lost in the expansion draft.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/43125/rumblings-las-vegas-will-get-a-head-start-on-free-agency

So UFAs probably still wouldn't be protected by teams but RFAs most likely would as the normal RFA compensation rules wouldn't apply 

Edited by amato

OK so it makes little sense for Vegas to waste a draft choice on someone like Vanek, when they can just use the 48 hour negotiating player to snag that player anyway. I'm guessing that's different with an RFA like Tatar. They would have to draft him or offer sheet him in the negotiating window?

Anyone have a list of the players who will be exposed and need to be protected? I don't understand capfriendly at all. 

18 minutes ago, amato said:

Wait, that's wrong (re: free agents)... 

accoridng to LeBrun

So UFAs probably still wouldn't be protected by teams but RFAs most likely would as the normal RFA compensation rules wouldn't apply 

Ok whoa whoa that changes everything.

So they will have a 48 hour window before the expansion draft where they can sign any UFA or RFA? So if we left Tatar exposed they could negotiate and sign him to a contract with no compensation heading our way? 

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So they will have a 48 hour window before the expansion draft where they can sign any UFA or RFA? So if we left Tatar exposed they could negotiate and sign him to a contract with no compensation heading our way? 

That sounds about right. If they do that then they can't take anyone else from the Wings during the expansion draft or something like that.

If I'm Vegas I get a deal done with Vanek and call it a day on Red Wings. If Vanek is traded by us prior, I take Helm. If Vanek is extended and protected by the Wings prior to the draft (likely exposing Abby), I'd select one of Helm or Abdelkader. 

The only other scenario I see happening is goalies are traded and shuffled around the league prior to the draft, leaving no one better than Howard available and so he is selected as their starting goalie.

Seems like we're most likely gonna lose Vanek or Helm.

Also perhaps an off chance they take Ericsson if D-men become scarce 

Leave Helm exposed and hope they do us a favor. Hell offer to trade them a prospect for a conditional pick if they do it.

If I was Vegas and could get Tatar I would. I think a change of scenery would do wonders for him. Ditto Nyquist.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Please take Ericsson... He's a really big, defensive defenseman that stands up for teammates and clears the crease. 6'4", 220lbs of pure nasty...

With his price tag he would most likely clear waivers. The chance of him being drafted is Null, in my simple opinion.

Would love it if he was picked up, of course. And I would like to keep unicorns as pets as well..

3 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Leave Helm exposed and hope they do us a favor. Hell offer to trade them a prospect for a conditional pick if they do it.

If I was Vegas and could get Tatar I would. I think a change of scenery would do wonders for him. Ditto Nyquist.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Tatar will be protected. Helm and Sheahan are probably their best options. 

3 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

With his price tag he would most likely clear waivers. The chance of him being drafted is Null, in my simple opinion.

Would love it if he was picked up, of course. And I would like to keep unicorns as pets as well..

The only thing I can think is that they may find themselves needing to add salary... because of that they may have no problem eating that contract especially if they need Dmen

48 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

39 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

That sounds about right. If they do that then they can't take anyone else from the Wings during the expansion draft or something like that.

Yeah agreed, this sounds about right. So we don't get free protection of Tatar or Vanek (if we hold onto him) unless we trust them and they say they won't sign with vegas. If Vanek gets traded at the deadline, I don't think he makes it to July 1st to re-sign with us like I was hoping. 

Really, a team getting Vanek, or any other quality trade deadline target, could potentially be getting a way to keep all of their players at the expansion draft too if they feel that Vanek/other trade deadline acquisitions would get picked over their unprotected players. Maybe that thinking boosts their value at the deadline. 

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Tatar will be protected. Helm and Sheahan are probably their best options. 

The only thing I can think is that they may find themselves needing to add salary... because of that they may have no problem eating that contract especially if they need Dmen

They do have to get to 60% of the salary cap through just players taken off of teams (I think I read somewhere that this is not counting free agents they sign) and if that's the case, I suppose there's a SLIM chance they take Ericsson. But I'm sure there will be many better options in terms of high salary players exposed.  

Edited by amato

11 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Yes, he probably would clear waivers, though a team might take a gamble on him. My previous comment was obviously tongue in cheek, but he isn't half as bad as Red Wings fans make him out to be.

You also have to remember, Vegas will have to take on a couple bad contracts just to reach the cap floor. Maybe they take Ericsson to get their salary up. It's not like many high end players are going to be left unprotected. Ericsson wouldn't be the worst option available, that's for damn sure.

3 minutes ago, amato said:

Yeah agreed, this sounds about right. So we don't get free protection of Tatar or Vanek (if we hold onto him) unless we trust them and they say they won't sign with vegas. If Vanek gets traded at the deadline, I don't think he makes it to July 1st to re-sign with us like I was hoping. 

Precisely. If Vanek is traded Vanek is gone. On the flipside, If we don't trade him Vegas will take him.

The only way to keep Vanek on this team is an extension and protection at the expansion draft. That would mean exposing both Helm and Abdelkader.

So the question is, would you trade Abby for Vanek straight up? If yes, then we must extend and protect Vanek.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Precisely. If Vanek is traded Vanek is gone. On the flipside, If we don't trade him Vegas will take him.

The only way to keep Vanek on this team is an extension and protection at the expansion draft. That would mean exposing both Helm and Abdelkader.

So the question is, would you trade Abby for Vanek straight up? If yes, then we must extend and protect Vanek.

But really it's not that simple because if you don't plan on protecting vanek, you have to trade him before losing him for nothing.. so really it's vanek or abby/whoever vegas would take instead of vanek plus a (hopefully) first round pick 

Edited by amato

15 minutes ago, amato said:

But really it's not that simple because if you don't plan on protecting vanek, you have to trade him before losing him for nothing.. so really it's vanek or abby/whoever vegas would take instead of vanek plus a (hopefully) first round pick 

True. Forgot to consider Vanek's return.

So lets assume Vanek nets a high pick. Then the scenario becomes: Vanek + Helm vs.  Abby + high pick.

This is assuming Vegas would choose Vanek, Abby, Helm in that order of priority

23 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, he probably would clear waivers, though a team might take a gamble on him. My previous comment was obviously tongue in cheek, but he isn't half as bad as Red Wings fans make him out to be.

You also have to remember, Vegas will have to take on a couple bad contracts just to reach the cap floor. Maybe they take Ericsson to get their salary up. It's not like many high end players are going to be left unprotected. Ericsson wouldn't be the worst option available, that's for damn sure.

I'm not all sour grapes. I do agree that he by no means is the worst option. In fact, he played really well the first quarter of this season I think, but has regressed back to his old self since December, roughly.

I don't believe he'll be picked up but would do a little sing-and-dance number if that were to happen, it would free up a good amount of cap and we have better d-corps in the pipe.

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

True. Forgot to consider Vanek's return.

So lets assume Vanek nets a high pick. Then the scenario becomes: Vanek + Helm vs.  Abby + high pick.

This is assuming Vegas would choose Vanek, Abby, Helm in that order of priority

Tough dicision.. do you think if we keep/protect vanek, both Abby and helm are exposed? 

Let's play another fun game.. say the wings re-sign and protect Vanek. Then they of course have to protect Nielsen. Assuming they are going the 7F/3D/1G route for expansion draft and no forwards are traded, which other 5 forwards do we protect? 

6 minutes ago, amato said:

Tough dicision.. do you think if we keep/protect vanek, both Abby and helm are exposed? 

Let's play another fun game.. say the wings re-sign and protect Vanek. Then they of course have to protect Nielsen. Assuming they are going the 7F/3D/1G route for expansion draft and no forwards are traded, which other 5 forwards do we protect? 

F: Zetterberg, Vanek, Nielsen, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Athanasiou

Exposing: Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan

I can see the Wings really wanting to keep Abby though. Maybe a backroom deal gets made that has Vegas taking Helm

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

F: Zetterberg, Vanek, Nielsen, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Athanasiou

Exposing: Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan

I can see the Wings really wanting to keep Abby though. Maybe a backroom deal gets made that has Vegas taking Helm

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Seems likely we lose one of helm or Abby if a trade isn't made.. but a lot of that obviously depends on their options from other teams as well. should be an interesting process overall. 

Edited by amato

Just now, amato said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Seems likely we lose one of helm or Abby but a lot of that obviously depends on their options from other teams as well.. should be an interesting process overall. 

Heres another fun one. Say u deciede to trade Vanek and go the abby pick rebuild route. Knowing youre likely going to lose Helm at the expansion, wouldnt u trade him at the deadline as well? Forcing Vegas to take E, Howard, Sheahan. Obviouly hoping they take E or Howard.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Heres another fun one. Say u deciede to trade Vanek and go the abby pick rebuild route. Knowing youre likely going to lose Helm at the expansion, wouldnt u trade him at the deadline as well? Forcing Vegas to take E, Howard, Sheahan. Obviouly hoping they take E or Howard.

I'd do that. I like Helm and what he brings to the table for a bottom 6 forward but he is a band-aid. Always seems to be in and out of the line up with some sort of injury