• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Fixing this mess....

Rate this topic

BTW, I'm still waiting for Abdelkader to score 3 goals over his last 12 games to hit 20 and show all us doubters that he's worth that shiny new contract. 14 goals and 36 points in 78 games since his hot start. Totally worth $30 mil over 7 years. Can't wait for his decline in 2 or 3 years where they're paying over $4 mil a season for 20 points.

Whatever happens in the offseason, jurco and smith need to be traded for the sake of their careers. It's doing no good for the wings or themselves

BTW, I'm still waiting for Abdelkader to score 3 goals over his last 12 games to hit 20 and show all us doubters that he's worth that shiny new contract. 14 goals and 36 points in 78 games since his hot start. Totally worth $30 mil over 7 years. Can't wait for his decline in 2 or 3 years where they're paying over $4 mil a season for 20 points.

Abby is like the only guy close to his career projections. The fact that he's close to his career high while the entire team struggles so much offensively is one of the only positives of a piss poor year all around. Not to mention he's also our most physical presence easily and protects Larkin like its his job. I can't understand how people can not love Abby he's a beauty

First of all, Abby has 18 goals, so he only needs 2. Maybe you meant he needed 3 12 games ago? Could score Saturday.

Second, Abby has definitely shown his worth recently. He's been one of best guys out there.

Third, Abby is 3 points short of last years point total. It's in 10 more games, but in the context of a team that's transitioning to new coaches and has been offensive starved, I think that's fine. To look at this context, he's our 3rd highest goals scorer and 8 pts. from leading the team in points.

Fourth, for your complaints about spending efficiency - his caphit is still 1.8 mill and that's a steal for what he contributes. His contract is too long and he'll probably be overpayed caphit-wise for some later years, but It should be considered that we've had a surprise top 6 player this year and last year paid like someone in the bottom 6. In the larger picture, that should counteract some later over-payment when thinking of a player's worth. In the context of our team's total payroll, we'll have a couple entry contracts that will be "steals" (Larkin, AA...maybe others) for a while, so I don't see Abby's contract inhibiting us.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Whatever happens in the offseason, jurco and smith need to be traded for the sake of their careers. It's doing no good for the wings or themselves

Abby is like the only guy close to his career projections. The fact that he's close to his career high while the entire team struggles so much offensively is one of the only positives of a piss poor year all around. Not to mention he's also our most physical presence easily and protects Larkin like its his job. I can't understand how people can not love Abby he's a beauty

My issue isn't with Abdelkader per se, it's his contract going forward.

His career projections have never shown that he's close to a player who's worth that contract. Holland blew it, and when I said he wasn't a 20- goal guy 10 games ago I was told "but he has 12 games to get 3 more then he'll be a 20 goal guy." 10 games later he's one goal closer, and like I said 14 goals and 36 points in 76 games since the first two isn't nearly good enough for his contract. This is a symptom of Holland's losing his touch and panicking about losing "home grown" players. Once upon a time he let Marty Lapointe walk after a 27 goal season because he knew that was an aberration. Now he gives the same type of player a 7 year $30 million contract after a year with lower production than what Lapointe had. Woopty doo, the deal he's playing under now is a steal kind of. We have 7 years of under producing for his cap hit to look forward to.

First of all, Abby has 18 goals, so he only needs 2. Maybe you meant he needed 3 12 games ago? Could score Saturday.

Second, Abby has definitely shown his worth recently. He's been one of best guys out there.

Third, Abby is 3 points short of last years point total. It's in 10 more games, but in the context of a team that's transitioning to new coaches and has been offensive starved, I think that's fine. To look at this context, he's our 3rd highest goals scorer and 8 pts. from leading the team in points.

Fourth, for your complaints about spending efficiency - his caphit is still 1.8 mill and that's a steal for what he contributes. His contract is too long and he'll probably be overpayed caphit-wise for some later years, but It should be considered that we've had a surprise top 6 player this year and last year paid like someone in the bottom 6. In the larger picture, that should counteract some later over-payment when thinking of a player's worth. In the context of our team's total payroll, we'll have a couple entry contracts that will be "steals" (Larkin, AA...maybe others) for a while, so I don't see Abby's contract inhibiting us.

his cap hit from here on out is over 4 mil. he's never shown he's that type of player, especially not for 7 years.

Edited by DickieDunn

My issue isn't with Abdelkader per se, it's his contract going forward.

His career projections have never shown that he's close to a player who's worth that contract. Holland blew it, and when I said he wasn't a 20- goal guy 10 games ago I was told "but he has 12 games to get 3 more then he'll be a 20 goal guy." 10 games later he's one goal closer, and like I said 14 goals and 36 points in 76 games since the first two isn't nearly good enough for his contract. This is a symptom of Holland's losing his touch and panicking about losing "home grown" players. Once upon a time he let Marty Lapointe walk after a 27 goal season because he knew that was an aberration. Now he gives the same type of player a 7 year $30 million contract after a year with lower production than what Lapointe had. Woopty doo, the deal he's playing under now is a steal kind of. We have 7 years of under producing for his cap hit to look forward to.

his cap hit from here on out is over 4 mil. he's never shown he's that type of player, especially not for 7 years.

You're comparing a move in the cap era to a move from back when Holland had an open checkbook.

If there was a cap back then you can bet your ass Holland would have locked up Lapointe.

Abdelkader's cap hit is very fair for what he brings to the team now, but it will likely end up being couple years too long. He may be slightly overpaid in years six and seven, but who knows where the cap will be by then...

Make no mistake though, Abby is a huge part of this team. His production alone is worth $4M per season, but then add on top of that everything else he brings to the table, for the next three seasons, I see it as a steal. He's 6th on the team in points, 3rd in goals, he is by far our most physical player, leads the team in hits by a wide margin, will drop the gloves when needed, leads all forwards in special team minutes, etc. Abdelkader is a beauty and I don't get why people hate his contract so much. It's really not that bad...

Also, I was a big fan of Lapointe and was kind of sad when we let him walk. Same would have been the case if we let Abdelkader walk. Would anybody be okay if we didn't re-sign Abby? Because like it or not, his contract is pretty fair, and he would have been signed to a similar contract this offseason if we did let him walk...

Ya..let's judge a player like Abdelkader solely on goals and points.

Cause you know....it's not like he brings any other intangibles...lol

A first liner is not supposed to bring intangibles. He's supposed to score. And if he's on the first line because we don't have anyone else, then the organization is failing.

More rumours coming out that there's a good chance that pk Subban gets traded and his name will be dangled in trades ... Radio guy is saying there's a 50-50 shot he's gone

Sadly can't see us making a deal with a division rival

Ericsson, Holland, Jurco and a first round pick for Subban.

A first liner is not supposed to bring intangibles. He's supposed to score. And if he's on the first line because we don't have anyone else, then the organization is failing.

Ericsson, Holland, Jurco and a first round pick for Subban.

Or you don't understand or agree with how the usage of players has changed.

It's not about putting your three best scorers on the top line.

Abby is a solid reliable top 6 power forward.

Our skilled guys are undersized so it helps to pair him with them.

That doesn't change who or what Abby is.

You don't give guys like Abdelkader a 7 year contract because of "intangibles."

You're comparing a move in the cap era to a move from back when Holland had an open checkbook.

If there was a cap back then you can bet your ass Holland would have locked up Lapointe.

Exactly, I'm comparing a move where he didn't overpay a guy when he had an open check book and could have afforded to overpay to a move when there's a cap and a GM needs to be careful and spend money wisely. Terrible cotnract

You don't judge any players value solely on points, so yes you do sign a player, any player because of "intangibles" as well as stats... By the way 40 points gets you $4M in todays NHL, so even if you are just looking at stats, it's a fair contract. I do think it may be a couple years too long, but the cap hit is spot on. $4.25M over 5 years would have been perfect in my opinion.

As far as the Rangers game goes, Mantha and Smith need to be back in. The powerplay died once Mantha was taken out of the lineup. Smith provides energy.

But just watch Blash scratch AA and put in Andersson for "experience".

that would have to be the dumbest move ever. let AA play, I still don't understand what Jurco was doing in the lineup instead of Mantha.

About Andersson "recalled from Grand Rapids, apparently want a PK guy if Abdelkader can't go." per Ansar Khan.

Edited by NerveDamage

Abby's contract length is a little ridiculous but maybe holland was using the length as a safety measure. He wants to stay a wing until he breaks and then goes the LTIR route? Franzen's contract in hindsight didn't cost us anything and we got a lot out of him. It's a great way to make both parties happy

So the Wings called up Andersson.... Please let this be a meaningless call up.

Although this probably belongs in the playoff chances thread... the call up is for "Insurance"

Why exactly isn't Mantha playing?! I'm not talking about just for the Wings, get this kid back down if he's not beating out one of our other mismanaged prospects. Disappointing.

I understand his defensive play is in question, but he has looked competent enough to me. Every player doesn't need to be Bob Gainey.

Edited by StayClassy

Or you don't understand or agree with how the usage of players has changed.

It's not about putting your three best scorers on the top line.

Abby is a solid reliable top 6 power forward.

Our skilled guys are undersized so it helps to pair him with them.

That doesn't change who or what Abby is.

I understand that we don't score a lot of goals in the playoffs the last few years. Abby wouldn't play on the top 6 of any top level team.

Not playing Mantha in favor of Andersson is playing not to lose, not playing to win. And we all know that when you play not to lose, you usually lose. Preventing goals is necessary and nice, but if you can score it makes it a risk worth taking.

This to me sums up the Jeff Blashill era Red wings.

Why can't Datsyuk kill penalties? Would be nice to actually have a shorthanded threat out there for a change.

If Abdelkader doesn't play, Mantha should be in. Jurco should be benched for Dano.

Because he wouldn't be a threat. The SH threat would be faster players like AA, Helm (hence why they kill penalties) and Larkin.

Both Helm and AA have been proven SH goal scorers. So is Sheahan. Glendog is useless for PK. Our PK will be much better once Helm, AA, Larkin and Sheahan along with Abby are the main guys. We're already seeing a transition of using the younger and faster guys since Miller got injured.

Edited by kickazz

You make sense, but Andersson is not quick. He's slow. I get the argument being made, but it just doesn't hold up under close examination. Ee can have a decent PK unit with Andersson or a decent PP with Mantha. At least Mantha offers something at even strength.

Jesus Holland said they only pulled Hiward to rest him. This is bizarre. No accountability lately unless you're a kid.