• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsallTheway

HNIC Rumor: Datsyuk to return to Russia

Rate this topic

If Datsyuk leaves after this season his cap hit still counts next season cause he signed after age 35? What a stupid rule.

Rule has been around for a long time. Its so veterans who are over that age don't sign long-term contracts that cant be fulfilled.

Honestly, if it comes down to that its Datsyuk's fault, he should play out his contract because he still plays at a high level

If Datsyuk leaves after this season his cap hit still counts next season cause he signed after age 35? What a stupid rule.

If he wants to go to Russia, trade him to a small market team first, then let him retire from nhl hockey. That way his contract helps a small market team get over the cap floor. Also frees up cap space to go all in on stamkos

They just said on HNIC that Datsyuk is highly considering going to Russia after this season.

Horrible news even though I knew it was coming, I thought for sure he would finish out his contract.

Apparantly for family reasons? I don't really buy that. If the current team was a cup contender I doubt he'd leave his 7 million plus on the table just to go home to his family when he only has one season left. He's probably just sick of the state of the franchise and wants to bail.

If he wants to go to Russia, trade him to a small market team first, then let him retire from nhl hockey. That way his contract helps a small market team get over the cap floor. Also frees up cap space to go all in on stamkos

That is a good idea but I don't think Holland would really do that with our current cap situation.

There arent really any big name FA's this upcoming offseason and Holland doesn't necessarily need that cap space. I'm sure he would just elect to keep him on the roster so he retires a wing

Rule has been around for a long time. Its so veterans who are over that age don't sign long-term contracts that cant be fulfilled.

Why does that matter though? If a player wants to retire it's on him, not the team. Having 7 plus million count against the cap for an empty jersey is not good for the team or for a league that wants parity..

Apparantly for family reasons? I don't really buy that. If the current team was a cup contender I doubt he'd leave his 7 million plus on the table just to go home to his family when he only has one season left. He's probably just sick of the state of the franchise and wants to bail.

I don't know... it seems like there'd have to be a pretty legitimate reason for him to do that, if the rumor is true and he actually ends up doing it. If there isn't a legit reason, he'll definitely tarnish his legacy. Even if he's not one to care overly about his legacy, I can't imagine he'd do that just for the hell of it... especially with there only being 1 year left on his deal.

Mickey Redmond mentioned this like 5 games ago already. Said there's a chance he goes back. But he also said "I really don't think he will leave"

Forgot what game it was.

Edited by kickazz

I don't blame him. He's been saddled with horrible linemates for years and this team is going nowhere.

Would be a big blow for the Wings, but it was going to happen soon anyway. Same with Zetterberg (although you could argue he left for Sweden two years ago and hasn't returned)

I don't blame him. He's been saddled with horrible linemates for years and this team is going nowhere.

Would be a big blow for the Wings, but it was going to happen soon anyway. Same with Zetterberg (although you could argue he left for Sweden two years ago and hasn't returned)

Question is would he find better linemates in Russia? I mean KHL is no NHL. (assuming that's where he plays)

He'll get paid in the KHL big time though.

Edited by kickazz

Why does that matter though? If a player wants to retire it's on him, not the team. Having 7 plus million count against the cap for an empty jersey is not good for the team or for a league that wants parity..

Player wants to play one more year, team tells him sign a 4 year deal for $7 mil the first year, and $3.5 the next three, you get $7 mil and we get a lower cap hit.

In other words it prevents circumventing the cap

Question is would he find better linemates in Russia? I mean KHL is no NHL. (assuming that's where he plays)

He'll get paid in the KHL big time though.

Maybe. Guys like Radulov, Semin or Kovalchuk would be much better linemates than Tatar, Helm or Richards.

Player wants to play one more year, team tells him sign a 4 year deal for $7 mil the first year, and $3.5 the next three, you get $7 mil and we get a lower cap hit.

In other words it prevents circumventing the cap

Yeah that makes sense. With that being the case, if he retires while still capable with only one year left on his deal with a team he's played his entire career with, especially if he knows it will handcuff the team. that's a pretty s***ty way to go out, whether it's Pavel Datsyuk or not.

That is a good idea but I don't think Holland would really do that with our current cap situation.

There arent really any big name FA's this upcoming offseason and Holland doesn't necessarily need that cap space. I'm sure he would just elect to keep him on the roster so he retires a wing

He'd still be retiring as a Wing. Seeing things like Dallas or Ottawa signing the likes of Modano and Alfie to one day contracts is merely fan service. That's like saying Pronger will retire as a Yote.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/red-wings-datsyuk-leave-russia-season/

They started the segment saying:

"how many stories you have?" "8."

"how many are true?" "I'll settle for 2"

Maybe that was just a joke, but I'm guessing they didn't trust the "sources." or it's more speculation. They have said that he's going back for a few years. It would seem very out of Datsyuk's character to leave the Red Wings hanging like that.

The cynical side of me thinks it could even be a planted rumour in an attempt to get the Wings distracted from the playoff push.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Yeah that makes sense. With that being the case, if he retires while still capable with only one year left on his deal with a team he's played his entire career with, especially if he knows it will handcuff the team. that's a pretty s***ty way to go out, whether it's Pavel Datsyuk or not.

I doubt it happens. If it does, they can trade him to a team that wants to get to the cap floor without spending actual money.