• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jdwheelz

Free Press: Pavel Datsyuk to return to Russia following Playoffs

Rate this topic

I'll add, Pav's doesn't speak the best English, so what he says can easily be miss understood. As mentioned, I say he honor's the contract.

I hate how square some people are when it comes to understand foreigners speaking english. Pavs always makes funny and witty remarks, but due to his accent most go unnoticed. Loved the "What did you say about Russia?? Are you come to Russia?? I'm not come to Russia yet." :lol: and how honest he is about the next year, and all that can happen in between. I love the guy

In that article, it says that the Red Wings told him they will not trade his contract to relieve the cap. Holland, in his obsessive loyalty will eat the $7.5M hit for the year and handicap his team for no reason but to stay loyal. f*** Holland, he needs to be fired!

It makes ZERO sense to not trade his contract. I don't think Mr Ilitch will be okay with that. We're losing our franchise center after this and there's another, younger, franchise center that's becoming a UFA this summer that we're already rumored to go after. There's no way, no how, they don't try to get rid of that contract and get that cap space. This is $5.5 mil in cap space we're talking about here. Plus, I read somewhere that the cap is going down next year. With Datsyuk leaving and Stamkos becoming a UFA, the stars are aligning for this to happen.

@paulwoodsfan: It was me calling him that, and it was for the timing too, not only for reporting the news itself. Just to mention. ;)

@kickazz: I called it that, because what slavery meant was that some human being was reduced to being someone elses "property". And yes, I'm fully aware that using this term in relation to professional sports guys getting paid millions of dollars is somewhat of hyperbolic, of course. ;)

But in general, it can be reduced to that. You have to be able to resign voluntarily, from every job. Within a certain period of time (it's usually 3 months over here..maybe in the U.S. too, idk..) , of couse, for your employer to be able to react too it and find an adequate replacement, but that's about it.

I would understand the criticism (and join it..) IF he was about to leave AND get the money regardless, but he doesn't. The cap hit only becomes a problem if a) Holland or b) the Illitches are too stupid/stubborn to trade the contract, but that's not his fault because he would agree to it to help the team.

So it comes down to people thinking professional athletes are property, which they are not. And as much as one might be jealous about the money they make, or their priviledge to make it with a sport rather than one of our regular jobs, they still are not. ;)

when Z datsyuk and richards retire at the same time

wings are in trouble

Richards? He's gone after this year and he's not bringing much to the table now

I really thought pavel would stick around one more year and not handcuff us with the 7.5 cap hit .... Now that being said and he's actually leaving I hope we insert mantha back in and let him play with pavel now and learn, I wanted him up a lot sooner to learn from him and hank but now time isn't a luxury

And I hope Blashill wakes the f up and stops playing it safe and realizes if we're gonna make a good run here the kids are gonna have to step it up and that means more ice time and not benching a sniper and playing AA 5 minutes a games and overplaying hank and pav who will only get more tired and not benefit the team the longer the playoffs go for us

It's time for Blashill to trust some of these kids , and if we are gonna have a long run it'll come through mrazek and not Howard

this is just me, but I think we will be fine after a rather large elephant in the room is addressed. Who will be Captain when Z retires, which will be shortly after Datsyuk leaves -- if in fact he does leave and doesn't honor the rest of this $7.5M hit. Z is aging and injured and won't survive without his EuroTwin.

Nyquist plays like a ghost when Pasha is out there. It's time for him and the younger players to establish an identity on the ice and play Wings hockey. Haven't seen that in a while -- it is time for a change, even if it hurts like Hell to do it. What I have been looking at is a team with two identities, and they do not communicate well.

Time to put the sign back: To whom much is given, much is expected. This is Hockeytown.

Will Holland really not trade a contract due to loyalty?! I really don't blame Pavs but he's hitting us with almost 8 million and Holland still won't trade him...I love the 25 year playoff streak, but this team can be so damn frustrating. He won't trade anyone ever that's on the roster to try and improve the team let alone a dead contract. I'm really starting to believe change is good for the GM role. I only do rant because to completey neglect the idea of trading this contract is mind boggling

From a practical stand point... Dump his contract to Arizona and go hard after Stamkos.

Cry.

What's the official rules on cap hits for retired players? I thought there was still a penalty to the original team who signed the player even if the contract is moved. I honesty don't know the details, hopefully someone with more insight can clarify.

In that article, it says that the Red Wings told him they will not trade his contract to relieve the cap. Holland, in his obsessive loyalty will eat the $7.5M hit for the year and handicap his team for no reason but to stay loyal. f*** Holland, he needs to be fired!

Lets also keep in mind that the Wings have to find a willing trade partner to take on that deal. Teams won't be lining up to take 7.5 million in cap space. Holland may be willing, but there may not be a team willing to do that deal.

Richards? He's gone after this year and he's not bringing much to the table now

I really thought pavel would stick around one more year and not handcuff us with the 7.5 cap hit .... Now that being said and he's actually leaving I hope we insert mantha back in and let him play with pavel now and learn, I wanted him up a lot sooner to learn from him and hank but now time isn't a luxury

And I hope Blashill wakes the f up and stops playing it safe and realizes if we're gonna make a good run here the kids are gonna have to step it up and that means more ice time and not benching a sniper and playing AA 5 minutes a games and overplaying hank and pav who will only get more tired and not benefit the team the longer the playoffs go for us

It's time for Blashill to trust some of these kids , and if we are gonna have a long run it'll come through mrazek and not Howard

You bring up a pretty good point here. If the organization had this knowledge already I sure wish they would've opted to play some of the promising younger kids with Datsyuk much more often than they did. Makes me even angrier that he's been playing with Helm and Richards.

If he retires with the yotes the wings would still take the hit, he would have to go on LTIR, correct?

If he retires with the yotes, he won't be on LTIR. He will just be retired. He won't be paid, unlike other players on LTIR.

I am enjoying the discussion and ideas here... It's not over yet. I am waiting for the end of the Wings' run for the Cup -- ideally, with a Cup! -- until I get too overwhelmed here.

Stranger things have happened, and he might stay to play out his contract. Z will retire, too, and then we have a whole new ball game (puck game, what have you).