• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jdwheelz

Free Press: Pavel Datsyuk to return to Russia following Playoffs

Rate this topic

He will be missed as he's still our best player and we're not exactly a great team to begin with. It sounds like it's the best decision from his standpoint. I'll remember him as the best stickhandler I ever saw. One of the most respected players in the league from peers. Hall of Famer.

It'll be even harder to make the playoffs next year and Kronwall and Zetterberg aren't getting any younger. We'll see if Larkin and Mantha can elevate their game to keep us afloat.

I think this team shifts to Nyquist and Tatar more than anyone else, assuming they're both still on the Wings going forward.

Really crushing, no magic man next year.... he did so much for the organization, and he will surely be missed. Have to give our young guns some playoff time, with zdawg declining every year it's up to them and they should get all the experience they can. Enjoy these playoffs fellow fans no matter which way it swings, Dats is a legend and I'm happy he clarified it now so I can enjoy every last shift he plays these playoffs. Thank you DATS, for everything.

Should change the thread title. This is no longer a rumor.

SLAVERY??? did you realy just call it that. It's a contract he signed willingly. Welcome to the 21st century... Contracts are a common thing even for us average folks you know.

Players can retire, they just don't get get paid, and the Wings could probably block him from playing overseas as well.

3 years. I've seen the 2M penalty floated around, but I'm not sure if that's the balance between the cap hit (7.5M) and his salary (5.5M), or if it's just a penalty the team incurs for moving a 35+, retired contract. Not to dismiss the WingsNation link Huskies posted, but I'd like to see something concrete. Either way, Holland saying he won't try to move the contract (Albom article) is asinine. In the same article, Pavel says he'll do whatever the Wings need to help out the situation. At the very least, Kenny has to consider it.

Recapture penalty because the deal was front loaded a bit. The Wings got the benefit from it, therefore they get hit with the penalty even if they trade the contract.

From what I've read, the contract cap hit shouldn't be a problem. After Datsyuk officially leaves, Holland will likely trade the contract to the Coyotes, which will actuallly save Pheonix about 600k. In turn, the Wings would receive Pronger's contract. Then we would use Pronger's LTIR status. Which wouldn't count any $ against the cap.

So really, the only downfall to all of this, is losing an amazing player sooner than we thought we would. But realistically, even if he had no desire to return home, we wouldn't have had him for too much longer anyways age-wise.

Hopefully we can make a nice run and maybe, just maybe, if Jimmy can play the way he did against Philly, maybe he can hoist the Cup one last time (not likely, but there's always a chance). And we all know #13 will be hanging in the rafters soon. Also, just like all our other Red Wings legends, he'll always be a Red Wing. And we'll continue to see him for years to come at various Detroit related events, signings, and future alumni games.

Here's to a hall of fame career Pavel! It's been a pleasure to watch you take the torch that was passed by the likes of Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Fedorov (and other Wings legends). Thankfully we have so many up and coming young stars that Pavel (and Hank, whenever he hangs em up) will in turn pass the torch to.

We are so lucky to be fans of the best organization in sports. That always (and I do mean always) puts competitive teams out there year after year, decade after decade. Cheers! :clap:

Not really suprized, with the team on a decline and holland unable to match him with a quality goal scorer since Hossa. Im def gonna miss him though, my fav player im glad i got to see him play at JLA this year. Were gonna be alot worse without him makes me wanna puke.

I think this team shifts to Nyquist and Tatar more than anyone else, assuming they're both still on the Wings going forward.

Who are not even All Star level players, let alone superstars like Datsyuk.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Perhaps some on here owe Friedman or whoever it was the raised this as a possibility....referring to him as rumor mongering and no basis for it, etc.

Edit: pretty good timing if you ask me....guys have something to really play for in the playoffs now....starting against a team that is missing pretty much all their best players.

Edited by toby91_ca

So the wings would be hit with a 2mil recapture penalty, hey that's 5.5mil less. Holland better trade him

Edit: I found this link

http://wingsnation.com/2016/4/4/how-pavel-datsyuk-s-departure-could-affect-the-red-wings

No, his contract was only 3 years. Should be no penalty if he retires from another team. Trade his contract to a floor team...if Holland does not, then he should be fired!

Stupid rule if true, no reason to charge the trading team. Either way, Holland needs to find a taker or else he'll screw this club for next season.

Edited by LeftWinger

Very few of those in the league. There are some teams that don't even have superstars. I would even venture to say that Datsyuk hasn't been a superstar in the last few years because of his health issues.

Honestly, Larkin and AA are already better than those two. They need to be the focus rather than Nyquist and Tatar...

I'm very impressed with Larkin's play but let's not act like he is already a proven star. There will be bums and bruises which are expected from young kids. Does he have the potential to be better than those 2 yes of course he does but it might take some time t for him to reach that potential. Tatar, Goose are solid top 6 players it's not their fault that people expected them to become stars or the next euro stars...when realistically everyone could see that they won't be this good.

Management now needs to find a package to get a center and a defenseman this off-season will be a wild one because there is no way Holland can't kick the tires or sit on his hands now. As far as Stamkos is concerned the Wings can now offer him the number 1 center position without thinking twice, I'll doubt it will be enough to get him here but at least it's something.

This is the end of an era the captain, Lidas and now Pasha tough pill to swallow and I think it's time to t rade the remaining vets and go rebuild.

I'm very impressed with Larkin's play but let's not act like he is already a proven star. There will be bums and bruises which are expected from young kids. Does he have the potential to be better than those 2 yes of course he does but it might take some time t for him to reach that potential. Tatar, Goose are solid top 6 players it's not their fault that people expected them to become stars or the next euro stars...when realistically everyone could see that they won't be this good.

Management now needs to find a package to get a center and a defenseman this off-season will be a wild one because there is no way Holland can't kick the tires or sit on his hands now. As far as Stamkos is concerned the Wings can now offer him the number 1 center position without thinking twice, I'll doubt it will be enough to get him here but at least it's something.

This is the end of an era the captain, Lidas and now Pasha tough pill to swallow and I think it's time to t rade the remaining vets and go rebuild.

If Larkin isn't at star status (100% agree with you there) AA is nowhere close. AA is Darren Helm who scores.

Edited by kylee

Why are you so pessimistic when it comes to up and coming Detroit players? You completely change your tune whenever its a Wing. You call the Sabres the Buffalo Eichel's all the time and talk about Jack Eichel as if he is a superstar, but the second someone says something good about Larkin you try to bring him down a peg. I've even heard you say more positive things about Chychrun then Larkin.

I just dont get how you can take two players who have pretty much have accomplished the exact same things, and with one you talk about him like he is the next coming, but the other you you refuse to say anything too positive. Its just two extreme's.

Compare their stats yourself:

Larkin - Age - 19, 23 Goals, 22 assists, +11, Game Winners - 5, Shots - 221, Shooting % - 10.4%

Eichel - Age - 19, 24 Goals, 32 assists, -16, Game Winners - 5, Shots - 238, Shooting % - 10.1%

Other then 10 assists, there is really nothing statistically speaking between these two in Eichel's favor.

Terrifying prospect to say the least. They aren't even two-way players, which would excuse their offensive production a bit. I'd say Larkin clearly becomes the best forward and leader on the team once Datsyuk is gone.

Compare their stats yourself:

Larkin - Age - 19, 23 Goals, 22 assists, +11, Game Winners - 5, Shots - 221, Shooting % - 10.4%

Eichel - Age - 19, 24 Goals, 32 assists, -16, Game Winners - 5, Shots - 238, Shooting % - 10.1%

Other then 10 assists, there is really nothing statistically speaking between these two in Eichel's favor.

Yeah. And personally I'll take that 27 +/- swing, over those 10 assists any day. :thumbup:

Very few of those in the league. There are some teams that don't even have superstars. I would even venture to say that Datsyuk hasn't been a superstar in the last few years because of his health issues.

This year his production has fallen off but he's still the best forward we have. Last season he was 6th in scoring based on PPG, ahead of Malkin and Ovie. Maybe he woulda cooled off if he played another 19 games, but for the time he was on the ice he was the 6th best offensive producer in the NHL. This year he's fallen to 58th sandwiched inbetween the Sedin twins and Wayne Simmonds. Big number, but he's still our biggest point producer and best two-way player. He's lightyears above anyone except Larkin.

No, his contract was only 3 years. Should be no penalty if he retires from another team. Trade his contract to a floor team...if Holland does not, then he should be fired!

Stupid rule if true, no reason to charge the trading team. Either way, Holland needs to find a taker or else he'll screw this club for next season.

Detroit got the benefit from having a lower cap hit than his salary. If I was a GM there is no way in hell I'd front load a deal for a guy that old or on a long term deal. Too much risk.

The team is boned if they have to rely on two small, one dimensional complimentary players to lead the forwards.

Team is gonna be pretty rough next year.

Were losing our best foward, so Blash will play Z even more. We will probably lose Quincey who isnt great but does make the D better as a whole. E and Kron will be relied on more which is horrible.

Holland is a bonehead so he won't trade the contract and we wont have any space to replace Pavel or add a Dman.

Team is gonna be pretty rough next year.

Were losing our best foward, so Blash will play Z even more. We will probably lose Quincey who isnt great but does make the D better as a whole. E and Kron will be relied on more which is horrible.

Holland is a bonehead so he won't trade the contract and we wont have any space to replace Pavel or add a Dman.

all things considered KFQ had a pretty good year.

Why does everyone think that the Wings are going to be able to trade his contract very easily. There has to be a willing trade partner, and I don't know many teams in a position to do this for us. Heck, if anyone was a GM on one of those teams, wouldn't you look to get something back in exchange for that contract?