• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jdwheelz

Free Press: Pavel Datsyuk to return to Russia following Playoffs

Rate this topic

hopefully out of our lineup

If you don't like Helm I dont know what to say.

Sure, he shouldnt be in the top 6 but anywhere in the bottom 6 and hes one of the best in the league. Its not his fault that our coaches think he should be playing on scoring lines

If you don't like Helm I dont know what to say.

Sure, he shouldnt be in the top 6 but anywhere in the bottom 6 and hes one of the best in the league. Its not his fault that our coaches think he should be playing on scoring lines

Like Helm but didn't like the recent comments he made. Doesn't sound like he likes the Red Wings. If that's the case screw him.

Not sure why this is still an on-going conspiracy.

He is leaving. It was easy to understand a few weeks ago - it's even easier today. If you are still holding out hope, please remember that expectation is the root of all disappointment.

I understand the emotion, but who are you going to miss? The Pavel Datsyuk who scored 23 points in the 2008 Playoffs? Or the Pavel Datsyuk who scored 0 points in the 2016 Playoffs? I forgot, we don't like using numerical stats on LGW - I'm sure his advanced stats look fantastic? Good enough to lose 4/5 games... What about the eye test? Sure looked like his speed through the neutral zone is no where close to what it was. No, I'm not saying it's his fault we lost - but he sure as hell wouldn't have been the reason we won, which means something when you're the teams highest paid player.

I know all the "experts" on this site will have something to say, but for the past 15 years I loved the player and the person. The player has been gone for a couple of years now, and the person is walking away this spring (although contractually obliged) and making the team pay for it. And despite what I have read so many times, his cap penalty won't be as "painfully easy to get rid of" as it sounds.

Can someone please start the Pavel Datsyuk replacement thread? But don't start it until 2017 - when we actually have the money to do it.

Not sure why this is still an on-going conspiracy.

He is leaving. It was easy to understand a few weeks ago - it's even easier today. If you are still holding out hope, please remember that expectation is the root of all disappointment.

I understand the emotion, but who are you going to miss? The Pavel Datsyuk who scored 23 points in the 2008 Playoffs? Or the Pavel Datsyuk who scored 0 points in the 2016 Playoffs? I forgot, we don't like using numerical stats on LGW - I'm sure his advanced stats look fantastic? Good enough to lose 4/5 games... What about the eye test? Sure looked like his speed through the neutral zone is no where close to what it was. No, I'm not saying it's his fault we lost - but he sure as hell wouldn't have been the reason we won, which means something when you're the teams highest paid player.

I know all the "experts" on this site will have something to say, but for the past 15 years I loved the player and the person. The player has been gone for a couple of years now, and the person is walking away this spring (although contractually obliged) and making the team pay for it. And despite what I have read so many times, his cap penalty won't be as "painfully easy to get rid of" as it sounds.

Can someone please start the Pavel Datsyuk replacement thread? But don't start it until 2017 - when we actually have the money to do it.

A bit too much sauce on this for my taste. Nevertheless you are correct - he's leaving. And yes, he's not producing, it's time to go. Let's realize that and work from there. And by Holland's interviews he's aware.

The honorable thing in my opinion would be that Datsyuk just said "I'm not getting paid this season, as I'm not playing - money back". But of course in today's world that's not even a consideration.

A bit too much sauce on this for my taste. Nevertheless you are correct - he's leaving. And yes, he's not producing, it's time to go. Let's realize that and work from there. And by Holland's interviews he's aware.

The honorable thing in my opinion would be that Datsyuk just said "I'm not getting paid this season, as I'm not playing - money back". But of course in today's world that's not even a consideration.

Datsyuk wouldn't get paid (by the Red Wings) next season if he retires this summer.

The issue he creates is that his cap hit acts as a penalty, in the same summer that another franchise center is available in the prime of his career.

Datsyuk wouldn't get paid (by the Red Wings) next season if he retires this summer.

The issue he creates is that his cap hit acts as a penalty, in the same summer that another franchise center is available in the prime of his career.

You're right, I realized that moments after my post. Even if he was to get paid it probably wouldn't hurt the Ilitch's. The cap is another matter altogether. It's all in Ken Holland's hands now then. Sigh.

You're right, I realized that moments after my post. Even if he was to get paid it probably wouldn't hurt the Ilitch's. The cap is another matter altogether. It's all in Ken Holland's hands now then. Sigh.

It could collaterally make the Illitch family more money...

If the money was paid to Pavel but didn't count against the cap, we could replace him with someone in the same price range - and almost certainly get more production. Maybe we win a round in the playoffs and potentially get (5 or 6) home games instead of (2)... That more than pays for his contract.

The more I think about it, I'm glad he's leaving.

He played at such a high level in his career, that it was hard watching him play this season. It would be like some retired pro wrestler making a comeback and looking like dirt. Datsyuk is leaving at the right time. I don't want to see him look any worse than he did this season.

That's why watching Zetterberg and Kronwall will be even worse next season. They'll be one year older.

Even with his decline in production he was still our second highest scorer this year (and that's with only playing 66 games). As datsyukian deke mentioned, he had the highest ppg on our squad. He will be sorely missed.

Agreed. Despite his obvious decline he's still a high level player and we don't really have those to spare.