• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCQF : Chicago Blackhawks vs. St. Louis Blues

Rate this topic

As for Shaw's actions in the game last night..the league has become way too PC. You used to have to be thick skinned and tough to play in the NHL..no matter what position or role you played. It was rough stuff, players played with bad injuries, and not much was off limits on the ice as far as chirping goes. Who cares..it's hockey. Just let em play.

It doesn't have so much to do with the players on the ice as it does using a group of people as an insult.

It doesn't have so much to do with the players on the ice as it does using a group of people as an insult.

True, but i've heard lesbians and gays use that word as well. like "yeah, i'm a ******"..when describing themselves. It's not as offensive to many in that group of people as some think it is..at least not anymore. They've moved on to much more important issues. I'm sure if you told a *** man that a hockey player called a ref a ***..he'd think it wasn't a big deal at all. Perhaps even funny.

yall think toew kane seabrook keith contracts are bad? they have 3 cups the last 10 year? thats a win

That, and those contracts don't seem to be hindering the success of the team at all...not yet anyways. Their depth is unreal, and everytime they lose a player to cap restrictions..they somehow find another cheaper guy to replace him that does as good or better. It's frustrating to watch. lol

True, but i've heard lesbians and gays use that word as well. like "yeah, i'm a ******"..when describing themselves. It's not as offensive to many in that group of people as some think it is..at least not anymore. They've moved on to much more important issues. I'm sure if you told a *** man that a hockey player called a ref a ***..he'd think it wasn't a big deal at all. Perhaps even funny.

Then the next thing will be whether or not the N word should be allowed. And viola! We're back to the past and rinse and repeat with another civil rights movement in 2026!

In all seriousness, the NHL is just trying to avoid drama. The last thing they (and the Blackhawks) need is a giant group of protestors who are offended. I see where the NHL is coming from in this. This was a quick and easy solution.

This reminds me a bit of the Dennis Wideman issue - controversial hit but the NHL had to protect it's referees. This whole situation will likely die down and Chicago will likely be talking about how they got eliminated first round (lol)

(BTW it might be better to just start another thread on Andrew Shaw)

Edited by kickazz

That, and those contracts don't seem to be hindering the success of the team at all...not yet anyways. Their depth is unreal, and everytime they lose a player to cap restrictions..they somehow find another cheaper guy to replace him that does as good or better. It's frustrating to watch. lol

In a few years Toews/Kane hit 30 and Keith/Seabrook will be 35, all with another five years on their contracts. We'll see then.

Then the next thing will be whether or not the N word should be allowed. And viola! We're back to the past and rinse and repeat with another civil rights movement in 2026!

In all seriousness, the NHL is just trying to avoid drama. The last thing they (and the Blackhawks) need is a giant group of protestors who are offended. I see where the NHL is coming from in this. This was a quick and easy solution.

This reminds me a bit of the Dennis Wideman issue - controversial hit but the NHL had to protect it's referees. This whole situation will likely die down and Chicago will likely be talking about how they got eliminated first round (lol)

(BTW it might be better to just start another thread on Andrew Shaw)

Chris Rock can tell you when the N word is allowed:

https://youtu.be/_Tc9xWX3wLE?t=1m

In a few years Toews/Kane hit 30 and Keith/Seabrook will be 35, all with another five years on their contracts. We'll see then.

So like the Wings with Z, Kronwall, Ericsson, and Howard? And Franzen if he wouldn't be on LTIR for the rest of his contract. Z is signed till he's 40, and look at how he's playing already. Not to defend the Hawks by any means, but they've already got three cups with those 4 guys. The Wings have one with three of four (not counting Franzen). The Wings didn't cash in enough when those guys were in their prime.

Edited by chaps80

In a few years Toews/Kane hit 30 and Keith/Seabrook will be 35, all with another five years on their contracts. We'll see then.i

i completely agree but their GM has balls and isnt afraid to make trades so if the time came maybe he trades them off, ala ladd and big buff

i forget their contracts but if the GM was smart he would've significantly decreased their cap in the latter.

Edited by brett

So like the Wings with Z, Kronwall, Ericsson, and Howard? And Franzen if he wouldn't be on LTIR for the rest of his contract. Z is signed till he's 40, and look at how he's playing already. Not to defend the Hawks by any means, but they've already got three cups with those 4 guys. The Wings have one with three of four (not counting Franzen). The Wings didn't cash in enough when those guys were in their prime.

Agreed, but that won't soothe the anger of bandwagon Blackhawks fans if those contracts start to look as bad as some of ours. The wolves will be a'howling no matter how many Cups they win between now and then.

i completely agree but their GM has balls and isnt afraid to make trades so if the time came maybe he trades them off, ala ladd and big buff

i forget their contracts but if the GM was smart he would've significantly decreased their cap in the latter.

It's $10.5M all the way through; not something that's exactly easy to get rid of. Toews and Kane will be Blackhawks for their entire careers.

Agreed, but that won't soothe the anger of bandwagon Blackhawks fans if those contracts start to look as bad as some of ours. The wolves will be a'howling no matter how many Cups they win between now and then.

The Hawks hadn't won a cup in 50 years and only three in the entire history of the franchise before 2010. They've now won three in six years, which equals that entire previous output in what..80 years?! They should be more than happy with that, and the team is still great and capable of more cups, and will be for a few more years. When they start to slide again and the bandwagoners complain, that's on those idiots. If their big four players had been let walk over money, they wouldn't have any of the cups and winning to look back on, and would be going on 60+ years of futility.

The Hawks hadn't won a cup in 50 years and only three in the entire history of the franchise before 2010. They've now won three in six years, which equals that entire previous output in what..80 years?! They should be more than happy with that, and the team is still great and capable of more cups, and will be for a few more years. When they start to slide again and the bandwagoners complain, that's on those idiots. If their big four players had been let walk over money, they wouldn't have any of the cups and winning to look back on, and would be going on 60+ years of futility.

I completely agree with you. I'm just saying Chicago fans won't feel that way.

I also think that would apply to early 2000s Detroit. ;)

Hmmmmmm this hypothetical Chicago situation in a few years sounds familiar. A team and its GM bring in multiple Stanley Cups after a long Cup drought, then after the core of the team starts to age and decline, fans throw a temper tantrum blaming the GM for the team not staying elite forever, and have a hard time accepting the re-build.

Edited by kliq

I also think that would apply to early 2000s Detroit. ;)

Well, TRUE Chicago fans would be fine with it i'm sure. I know a couple guys I went to highschool with 20 years ago that have always been diehard Hawks fans, even through their really bad seasons. They know these winning seasons will end eventually. But most of their fanbase seems to be on the bandwagon, so yeah, there would be alot of pissed off "fans" I guess.

And they'll have a boatload of Cups. They'll probably win another one in the next few years. That's four Cups in their era. I'd call that a win. That's the whole point, after all, to win. Not to mention that situations are always fluid and they'll find a way to negate at least a few of the negative impacts of those big contracts.

Sitting around waiting for cheap players to magically come through your system is a recipe for never winning. You wait 5-10 years, find out you didn't draft quite good enough, then start the process all over. I'd rather a GM take a balanced approach, draft as strongly as you can but don't take a passive wait and see attitude. Life is too short. Careers are too short. Win now. Only worrying about mortgaging your future if said future could win you a cup in under three years.

The Blues' ability to choke in the first round can only be rivaled by the Sharks. I'm not sure many realize how big this Game 5 is tonight.

As for the suspension, I personally feel that he should've been suspended for is antics (throwing a tantrum at the refs, jumping Steen at the final buzzer, etc.) but suspending someone is pretty weak considering the connotation of that word has changed over the years (see: South Park episode "The F Word"). I think the league would've been better off giving a different reason for his suspension (unsportsmanlike treatment of the officials) than to just blame it on one word.

Regardless, the series has been very even thus far and a Chicago victory tonight, on the road in a what will be a raucous building, without their most productive forward thus far, will allow doubt to creep into the heads of the Blues and lead to what could be the most devastating chapter in the long story of Blues early round collapses.

Get it done tonight and please win by two goals or more, my heart can't handle many more of these one goal games.