• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Your argument is tautological. You think the data is "inaccurate" because it doesn't comport with what you see, and you trust what you see because the data is supposedly inaccurate.

Or, in other words, Tatar isn't a good possession player because I don't see it. And I dont see it because i dont believe possession stats. And round and round we go

Edited by kipwinger

I don't usually take much stock in trade rumors, but I can't help but salivate over the thought of Trouba in the Winged Wheel... I know I've mentioned it a hundred times, but Kenny needs to be all over that. I'd also welcome Fowler, but Trouba is my number one choice...

I mentioned this a lot already...stats are precise but not in terms of take- and giveaways. The numbers are way too low and therefore the best players can be the worst and vice versa. Tatar was brutal no matter what you say. Helm was even worse. The fact that his turnover numbers are low tells everything about this stat.

You missed my point. This is my point. You're going to believe what you want to believe, and reality be damned. Okay.

Great news about the cap going up. We need that cap space and hopefully it forces the hand of the lower market teams to take Datsyuk's contract. Although the bidding for Stamkos could be higher with the cap going up.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

http://www.tsn.ca/goligoski-to-sign-five-year-deal-with-coyotes-1.512650

5.475 avg over 5 years for Goligoski in Arizona. Eating their way up to the floor. Come on Holland!

the cost will be too much they have been saying AA or Evgeny Svechnikov plus a pick thats a hell no in my book but idk depends on if we sign stamkos 1st than maybe the decison could be easier to swallow

the cost will be too much they have been saying AA or Evgeny Svechnikov plus a pick thats a hell no in my book but idk depends on if we sign stamkos 1st than maybe the decison could be easier to swallow

We have to trade Datsyuk's contract before the 1st, so that wouldn't be possible to sign Stamkos first.

Too costly, you don't trade AA. Reason is speed where that attribute is at a premium. AA's so fast that teams are being told to watch out for him before playing us. Which will open up space on the ice for (the rest of) the Wings in the future as he moves up the ranks.

He's on my list of untouchables together with Larkin, Mrazek and DeKeyser. This involves trading for Stamkos, Trouba or Lindholm.

Too costly, you don't trade AA. Reason is speed where that attribute is at a premium. AA's so fast that teams are being told to watch out for him before playing us. Which will open up space on the ice for (the rest of) the Wings in the future as he moves up the ranks.

He's on my list of untouchables together with Larkin, Mrazek and DeKeyser. This involves trading for Stamkos, Trouba or Lindholm.

that mirrors my untochables as well i did add mantha in there too but idk i feel he may be a bit more painless than AA

We have to trade Datsyuk's contract before the 1st, so that wouldn't be possible to sign Stamkos first.

That's the first I've heard that we have to trade the contract before the first. Are you sure about that?

Larkin, mrazek, and Abby(size, physicality, and ability to score 20 goals, only legit power forward we have currently). Danny d is a serviceable #3, but definitely not "untouchable" svech and mantha are close right now at least for a bit until we see more of them. Pretty much anyone else can go.

This forum knows I have been harping on Brendan Smith, and I am not alone. However times have changed even more to the worse this off season. We are badly in need of at least a solid top 4 offensive defense-man, preferably paired with DD.

All the tools required for that is there in Brendan Smith, I Think (yes a big T). But it hasn't worked out and he's stuck at the 6/7 position. Could someone straighten him out? What would be required? A shrink + a meditation teacher? A mind-meld with a genius, raising his IQ by 20 points?

I am not looking for a rehash regarding previous discussions about Smith (dumb/turnover machine etc), I am explicitly curious about what you think would be required for him to play to his full potential.

That's the first I've heard that we have to trade the contract before the first. Are you sure about that?

I'm assuming he's referring to Holland's self-imposed deadline. Technically, he doesn't have to move Pavel's contract by July 1st, but he's not going to commit cap space to a free agent without moving the $7.5M. If GM's are (reportedly) asking for guys like AA and Svech now, they'd absolutely have Holland over a barrel if he signed someone before moving the deal. He would have to make a trade - not necessarily Datsyuk's deal, but he'd have no choice but to shed cap space. Don't think he'd put himself in that position.

This forum knows I have been harping on Brendan Smith, and I am not alone. However times have changed even more to the worse this off season. We are badly in need of at least a solid top 4 offensive defense-man, preferably paired with DD.

All the tools required for that is there in Brendan Smith, I Think (yes a big T). But it hasn't worked out and he's stuck at the 6/7 position. Could someone straighten him out? What would be required? A shrink + a meditation teacher? A mind-meld with a genius, raising his IQ by 20 points?

I am not looking for a rehash regarding previous discussions about Smith (dumb/turnover machine etc), I am explicitly curious about what you think would be required for him to play to his full potential.

I think with Smith it's just a confident issue. Babcock seemed to like him a lot more than Blashill. I agree that he has all the tools to be a 3rd pairing defenseman in the NHL. At least.

I always liked Smith but have to admit that he was brutal last season. Still, I'd just play him. It's hard to sit for that long and then suddenly get to play alongside forwards who keep turning the puck over and some old, slow defense partners. Smith has a good skillset, he's fast and he's relatively tough...which our other defenseman mostly aren't.

What he needs is minutes. And maybe the new assistants and a new season with new defensepartners will do wonders for him. We'll see.

It was discussed here and I believe someone provided a link around the time it became apparent that Datsyuk was a goner. In order for us to not be on the hook we must trade the contract and have it be terminated before July 1st.

It was discussed here and I believe someone provided a link around the time it became apparent that Datsyuk was a goner. In order for us to not be on the hook we must trade the contract and have it be terminated before July 1st.

Really? Now I'm curious. It doesn't sound right, but what do I know? From my knowledge, once a team acquires a contract, they're responsible for it.

Plus, taking a quick look at the history of mutually terminated contracts in the NHL, they occur throughout the entire year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_NHL_transactions#Contract_terminations