• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Stamkos and one of Lucic or Okposo.

For bottom 6, Martin is the perfect addition.

Def upgrade via trades:

1st option Shatty/Trouba with extension.

2nd option Hamilton if available.

Fowler is not that much an upgrade over Smith IMO.

Stamkos and Martin were teammates in Sarnia once upon a time, and he's from Windsor. Probably would take less than market value to play with his buddy. I agree with the Fowler thing too, I'd go after Trouba pretty hard. See if Nyquist+Smith+1st could get it done, maybe add a prospect. Then we'd have room for whatever.

Stamkos and Martin were teammates in Sarnia once upon a time, and he's from Windsor. Probably would take less than market value to play with his buddy. I agree with the Fowler thing too, I'd go after Trouba pretty hard. See if Nyquist+Smith+1st could get it done, maybe add a prospect. Then we'd have room for whatever.

I doubt stammer is taking less than market value to play with a former ohl teammate, who is a bottom 6 guy. If anything he'd take a discount to play for Toronto then.

No difference between Smith and Fowler? Lol. Talk to me when Smith averages more than 20 minutes a night or scores more than 20 points in a season. Until then, there's a pretty big difference between the two. Fowler, while not a superstar, has (to this point in their respective careers) out performed Smith pretty much across the board. No knock on Smith, he is what he is, but the only two defensemen on our team who have ever performed better than Fowler in any pro season are Green and Kronwall.

No difference between Smith and Fowler? Lol. Talk to me when Smith averages more than 20 minutes a night or scores more than 20 points in a season. Until then, there's a pretty big difference between the two. Fowler, while not a superstar, has (to this point in their respective careers) out performed Smith pretty much across the board. No knock on Smith, he is what he is, but the only two defensemen on our team who have ever performed better than Fowler in any pro season are Green and Kronwall.

And fowler would be perfect for our 2nd PP unit. A place I never want to see Smith at.

How do they let Elliot go for a 2nd round pick but then demand Larkin for Shattenkirk?

The goalie market is incredibly deep with the expansion draft coming up next year and being able to only protect one goalie. St. Louis traded Elliot more as a cap dump. The flames def needed a goalie at the right time.

Smith was/is not used properly, that's an issue... same as having Helm playing top minutes or having Nyquist and Tatar on the same line.

Smith's usage doesn't diminish Fowler's talent one way or another. Also, over the course of his career Smith's best points per game averages have come when he's played less minutes, not more. So if you think he's going to bud into some offensive force with more minutes you're probably off base. He seems to do better offensively when he's playing more sheltered minutes not vice versa.

I'm genuinely fine with Smith. I like where he's at and what he's doing. But there's a reason why the guy has consistently earned less ice time, and more sheltered minutes, from two different coaches. And it's not because he's more dangerous when he plays more.

At his best I see Smith as an Oduya or a Stralman. A guy who's good in transition, physical, and reasonably good on special teams. But he's probably never going to be an offensive threat at the NHL level. He's 250 games into his NHL career and has never shown an offensive inclination thus far, regardless of how much or little he plays. And in today's NHL a guy who can do all that AND score 30-40 points will ALWAYS be more valuable.

Edited by kipwinger

How do they let Elliot go for a 2nd round pick but then demand Larkin for Shattenkirk?

Draft day was immediate. They have time to send Shattenkirk off so they will start with the highest price.

Edited by kickazz

So if Buffalo does in fact offer Stamkos $12x7 as they are rumored to, should Detroit match the offer? Or stick to $10x7 as Detroit is rumored to probably offer.

I'm really heavily on the Stamkos wagon, but even I say stay at 10. It's already a ridiculous number IMO, but that's where the league is going. 12 is lunacy but Tim Murray is Tim Murray. If he chases the money, fine. But we're a better fit for him than Buffalo who are overloaded at center as is.

So if Buffalo does in fact offer Stamkos $12x7 as they are rumored to, should Detroit match the offer? Or stick to $10x7 as Detroit is rumored to probably offer.

12 mill is too much unless we are assured the cap will continue to go up. I don't think we need a 12 million dollar player on the team no matter how good they are. We could prolly get Okposo and Erikson for close to that price.

Trade for his rights, offer him 11x8. Done and done.

you cannot offer 8 years even if you traded for his rights

only the team he played for during the season is allowed to sign for 8 years. And after July 1st, even tampa won't be able to sign to 8 years

Well remember that Stamkos is the first superstar to hit the free agency in a LONG time. Usually when superstars extend contract within it's "cheaper" than them hitting free agency (no one to compete against in the market when they extend).

The fact that he's a free agent automatically will increase his pay day. Imo $12 million won't be anything out of the ordinary. I'm just not sure if it's something Detroit should offer.

Edited by kickazz

you cannot offer 8 years even if you traded for his rights

only the team he played for during the season is allowed to sign for 8 years. And after July 1st, even tampa won't be able to sign to 8 years

Well they could do a sign and trade type deal