• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

Moving out 55-60 goals in favor of a rookie is unwise. All for trading one of them, but we'll still need the other.

6'-5" rookie goal scorer who needs time to play so you give him quality minutes.

Adding top defensemen is a need and a wise move.

Again Dom, what's your point? I know exactly what Martin brings to the table, and I never once said that he wouldn't help this team. I simply said there's no room for another bottom 6 guy, and that I would have preferred him over Miller...

There is nothing similar between Miller and Martin. Why we can't add Martin if we already have Miller? I don't see the point. Miller is coming from serious injury (maybe his contract is Cleary 2.0) and Martin is one of the most physical player in NHL and I don't see who else do we have (right now) who can play Martin style in Detroit. We need effective 4th liners not Jurco/Pulks on the 4th line.

6'-5" rookie goal scorer who needs time to play so you give him quality minutes.

Adding top defensemen is a need and a wise move.

A rookie goal scorer who needs to earn that ice time. 3rd line wing is the perfect spot for him right now. A dman can be acquired without having to trade goose AND Tatar.

Again Dom, what's your point? I know exactly what Martin brings to the table, and I never once said that he wouldn't help this team. I simply said there's no room for another bottom 6 guy, and that I would have preferred him over Miller...

I guess it depends on your definition, but I think this team has four bottom-six forwards based on a (loose) comparison to Martin: Glendening, Miller, Sheahan and Athanasiou. Obviously, the latter two have more skill. If anything, I think the Red Wings have too many fringe NHL forwards. Guys who basically walk that line between "complimentary offensive winger who needs to play with superior talent" and "AHL-caliber talent".

I would have taken Martin over Miller as well, but part of the problem with this team (and Blashill has admitted it) is that too many guys were unsure about their roles last season. You need a player to know what his role is on the team and commit to it. For example, Jurco is a guy on the fourth-line who thinks he should be in an offensive role (I'm not trying to pick on him, I just think he's the best example on this team). If your bottom-six/fourth-line guys know who they are, so do the guys above them. The line combinations and TOI were a mess last year, and I think clearly-defined roles would help to fix that up. Part of that means Blashill needs to stop his love affair with Glendening (why does it change L.G.D. to disney.com?) and commit to playing the skilled players more often.

Edited by Jesusberg

Did anyone else notice that a smaller, more skilled, speedier team just demolished a bigger, tougher, grittier team in the Cup Finals? Like, embarrassed them.

We already have a fast team. We need a little more skill in key positions and we are built to win. Going to the other extreme is silly. We finally have the personnel in place to play a type of game that we know can be successful (Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago) and we have people clamboring to get biggest and slower. Why? Cuz big is good apparently? Tell that to San Jose, and Anaheim, and Winnipeg, and Boston. Those giants are hearing it up eh?

I guess it depends on your definition, but I think this team has four bottom-six forwards based on a (loose) comparison to Martin: Glendening, Miller, Sheahan and Athanasiou. Obviously, the latter two have more skill. If anything, I think the Red Wings have too many fringe NHL forwards. Guys who basically walk that line between "complimentary offensive winger who needs to play with superior talent" and "AHL-caliber talent".

I would have taken Martin over Miller as well, but part of the problem with this team (and Blashill has admitted it) is that too many guys were unsure about their roles last season. You need a player to know what his role is on the team and commit to it. For example, Jurco is a guy on the fourth-line who thinks he should be in an offensive role (I'm not trying to pick on him, I just think he's the best example on this team). If your bottom-six/fourth-line guys know who they are, so do the guys above them. The line combinations and TOI were a mess last year, and I think clearly-defined roles would help to fix that up. Part of that means Blashill needs to stop his love affair with Glendening (why does it change L.G.D. to disney.com?) and commit to playing the skilled players more often.

Embrace the disney.com

Nielsen most likely would be just another Weiss, Legwand or Richards. I'd rather resign Richards as he knows the team and, other than Nielsen, isn't overrated. I'd give Nielsen a shot at 1y/4,5 or 2 years 4 each. As he's not gonna accept that Holland would be smart to trade for a Center like Hanzal who's available. You usually don't acquire top6 Centers via Free Agency. And we definitely need top6 forwards only. Our depth is good enough. The only exception to me would be if Hollands gets to sign a solid powerforward like Brouwer for below 4/y.

Now we got a unique chance to rebuild our roster. We got assets available and we got cap space. Biggest mistake Holland could make would be to sign old players longterm or to overpay depth players. Free Agents usually get overpaid. So if you acquire one, especially in our situation, it has to be a top guy.

The only really interesting Center besides Stamkos to me is Shipachev. Otherwise Holland gotta come up with a trade.

Did anyone else notice that a smaller, more skilled, speedier team just demolished a bigger, tougher, grittier team in the Cup Finals? Like, embarrassed them.

We already have a fast team. We need a little more skill in key positions and we are built to win. Going to the other extreme is silly. We finally have the personnel in place to play a type of game that we know can be successful (Pittsburgh, Tampa, Chicago) and we have people clamboring to get biggest and slower. Why? Cuz big is good apparently? Tell that to San Jose, and Anaheim, and Winnipeg, and Boston. Those giants are hearing it up eh?

I wouldn't say anyone is saying we go to the other extreme. Adding a big winger or two doesn't make us Anaheim or Boston, it would give us a nice mix.

I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed Wings fans here on Friday. And if / when Holland strikes out on some of the bigger names and over pays for one of the second tier guys, people are going to go nuts...Exactly my point Dom. A week ago, I would have welcomed a Martin type player, but after the Miller signing, to go along with our already over crowded bottom 6, there's really no place for a player like Martin...

I'm really not a fan of giving a longterm high cap to a guy with bloodclot issues and who's demanding to play center when everything I hear says he's better suited on the wing ... But my gut is telling me he's gonna be a redwing , wasn't yzerman his favourite player? So guessing he was a wings fan as well and apparently playing in a hockey market is important to him and leaving behind s legacy when he retires ( fav team + original 6 team )

Realistically though wouldn't surprise me to see us ending up with Eric staal haha

I'm really not a fan of giving a longterm high cap to a guy with bloodclot issues and who's demanding to play center when everything I hear says he's better suited on the wing ... But my gut is telling me he's gonna be a redwing , wasn't yzerman his favourite player? So guessing he was a wings fan as well and apparently playing in a hockey market is important to him and leaving behind s legacy when he retires ( fav team + original 6 team )

Realistically though wouldn't surprise me to see us ending up with Eric staal haha

The guy is a natural center. He has had 50 goal seasons playing center. The Wings don't have a legit top 6 center. His one time blood clot issue is all but assured to no longer be an issue. Doctors themselves have said as much. He is literally this team's biggest need right now. A #1 center. A sniper. In the prime of his career for the next 5-6 years. He is EXACTLY the guy you give a ling term high cap hit to. If there is one free agent you throw the damn bank at, it's Steven Stamkos.

Probably not but I do believe he'd be better off on the wing ,and he'd start bitching and demanding to stay there if we put him on the wing

At this point it just seems as if you have some sort of phobia to any player who wasn't drafted by the Wings. Holland trades a prospect who has no shot at making the team and you lose your mind for a month. Holland has a shot at bringing in one of the best players in the league in the prime of his career and you're basically against it.

The guy is a natural center. He has had 50 goal seasons playing center. The Wings don't have a legit top 6 center. His one time blood clot issue is all but assured to no longer be an issue. Doctors themselves have said as much. He is literally this team's biggest need right now. A #1 center. A sniper. In the prime of his career for the next 5-6 years. He is EXACTLY the guy you give a ling term high cap hit to. If there is one free agent you throw the damn bank at, it's Steven Stamkos.

One free agent this year ... Doesn't mean we shouldn't save the bucks and pursue someone else better next season or the year after , and everything I heard on the radio or sports shows a lot of people think he's better suited on the wing

Anyways we'll see what happens , if he actually comes and actually stays a center then I guess athanasiou will be shipped off in a deal to land a defensemen unless we trade sheahan and put AA on the 3rd but with Larkin and stamkos set as 1-2 it would slow down any progress AA could have , so trading him will be an option

At this point it just seems as if you have some sort of phobia to any player who wasn't drafted by the Wings. Holland trades a prospect who has no shot at making the team and you lose your mind for a month. Holland has a shot at bringing in one of the best players in the league in the prime of his career and you're basically against it.

Yes I have a phobia ... I put up trade proposals for players but apparently I'm opposed to adding other players , not my fault if your not for a trouba/brodin type deal or other deals I've proposed, it's fine we all got our own opinions on players

And I'd be ok with lucic so long as it isn't more than 5 yrs

One free agent this year ... Doesn't mean we shouldn't save the bucks and pursue someone else better next season or the year after , and everything I heard on the radio or sports shows a lot of people think he's better suited on the wing

Anyways we'll see what happens , if he actually comes and actually stays a center then I guess athanasiou will be shipped off in a deal to land a defensemen unless we trade sheahan and put AA on the 3rd but with Larkin and stamkos set as 1-2 it would slow down any progress AA could have , so trading him will be an option

This is the first time EVER a player of his calibre has hit free agency at his age. But yeah, lets save the cap hit for another year when we currently have no top 6 centers. Great plan!

We have this thing called a 3rd line. We have these positions called left and right wing.

Edited by marcaractac

This is the first time EVER a player of his calibre has hit free agency at his age. But yeah, lets save the cap hit for another year when we currently have no top 6 centers. Great plan!

We have this thing called a 3rd line. We have these positions called left and right wing.

Yes let's save our money , we ain't cup contenders next season even with precious stamkos ... And I'd personally be more comfortable with spending 10 million cap hit to a lidstrom type #1 dman

I know you say his bloodclot issues are over and done with and you may be right but we never know what can happen in the future , look at Chris bosh from the Miami Heat who might retire now , can't be 100% certain it'll never return

And what happens if he gets 40 goals and then some kid like mantha or whoever it is comes along and gets back to back 30 goals , he sees stamkos's salary and what we give him 8 per?anyways I'd personally just feel more at ease giving a true number 1 dman 10 mill salary or I guess a best of the best NHL forward who's also great 2 way and does it all ... Doesn't make me right , that's just how I see it

Anyways July 1st can't come soon enough ... Just hope if we do land him that were not stupid enough to do a sign and trade so he gets his 8th year and we give up something valuable

Take it to the bank..Stamkos will sign with the Wings, and Holland will be very busy.

I do believe its going to happen .. hope he's also busy fixing up our blue line , not just the top 6

Have you looked at the FA lists the next couple of years though? No guarantees a big top2 D-man hits the market, considering we have two big holes: #1 center and #1D, shouldn't we at least fill one of those needs logically? Plus, Stammer at 10/11 per year won't hamper us going forward if Howard and Ericsson come off the cap next summer.

Yes let's save our money , we ain't cup contenders next season even with precious stamkos ... And I'd personally be more comfortable with spending 10 million cap hit to a lidstrom type #1 dman

I know you say his bloodclot issues are over and done with and you may be right but we never know what can happen in the future , look at Chris bosh from the Miami Heat who might retire now , can't be 100% certain it'll never return

And what happens if he gets 40 goals and then some kid like mantha or whoever it is comes along and gets back to back 30 goals , he sees stamkos's salary and what we give him 8 per?anyways I'd personally just feel more at ease giving a true number 1 dman 10 mill salary or I guess a best of the best NHL forward who's also great 2 way and does it all ... Doesn't make me right , that's just how I see it

Anyways July 1st can't come soon enough ... Just hope if we do land him that were not stupid enough to do a sign and trade so he gets his 8th year and we give up something valuable

I do believe its going to happen .. hope he's also busy fixing up our blue line , not just the top 6

Too many players deserving big contracts is a good problem to have. That would mean 1. We're contenders. 2. If we can't afford em, we can acquire a hell of a lot in a trade. Why do you think the Blackhawks have great secondary players seemingly come out of nowhere every other year? Putting together an elite core is the #1 priority right now. Stamkos would become a huge part of said core for many years.

I think we'll land one free agent, possibly two, but not two huge names. But I love the enthusiasm of some, thinking that adding not one, not two, not three, but four or five new names is even a remote possibility...

Well we need to replace Dats.

We need to replace Richards.

We might have to replace Helm.

We were already looking for top six forwards... so it's possible to see 3-4 new players.

They also had the right guys blow up at the right time. They had a 22-year-old goaltender play out of his mind, and their "third" line was an absolute monster. The core of their team is made up of elite talent, too - can't say the same of the Red Wings.

The previous 4-5 years, teams who won the cup had a balance of size and skill (maybe not the '15 Blackhawks, so much). I don't think anyone's looking to field a team of Matt Martins. At least, that's not what I'm pushing for.