• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

There is no honor in tanking. It's a terrible idea to purposely tank and I cannot comprehend how some of you suggest it as an option. There are other ways to get back and we'll find our way there.

I'm not saying we need to purposely tank. None of the free agents are going to make us contenders so why give a guy like Nielsen who is 32 a 5 or 6 year deal worth 5.5-6.0 million dollars just because.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 11m11 minutes ago

Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo and a fourth team got to make pitches in person to Stamkos this week. Detroit not one of them.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 11m11 minutes ago

I Detroit would have had its turn but Stamkos began to reel it in and focus on Re signing with Tampa Bay

Well that stinks... Screw him then

I'm not saying we need to purposely tank. None of the free agents are going to make us contenders so why give a guy like Nielsen who is 32 a 5 or 6 year deal worth 5.5-6.0 million dollars just because.

while i wont argue that most of them would just be bandaids we cant really say that some of the FA wouldnt mesh well with the kids and light it up i dont want to keep the kids down for over the hill vets but you need a mix of both to compete and if you make the playoffs anything can happen having a former cup champion in Staal doesnt hurt and he still might suprise you if he gets a shot with a better team than he was on last year plus okposo can get you some decent goals as well if Staal would take a prove me contract for 1 or 2 years while giving larkin a chance to evolve into the 1C than its a steal i want the kids to get in to the P/O because they need that experince and wasting Larkins youth on missing out for a few years to get a shot at a couple top 5 or top 10 picks might not be worth it in the end its all just how things would go its hockey anything can happen you got to take risks sometimes if the team keeps making 1st round exits its not helping but if they get the right mix of leadership with hot young talent you never know what it might do

Khan and HSJ have been beating the Ladd and Brouwer drums to death. This is pants-pissingly scary to me. I fear there's real potential there for an albatross contract or two. Same with Nielsen, who I love, but is already 31 and doesn't necessarily make us a substantially better team. I guess Backes falls into this category as well, but the one thing about him is that he can still function as a 1C (I think? Maybe? Possibly? If he tries really hard?) and he's coming off an impressive postseason -- though, granted, excelling as a winger on a deep Blues team that can prop you up is very different from driving the bus as a top-line centerman on a middling-at-best Wings team. And, of course, he -- like Ladd and Brouwer and certainly Lucic -- is inevitably going to wear his body down to nothing, and it's not going to be pretty when it happens. I'm not big on Lucic, and I don't think we're on his radar anyway. I do like Okposo quite a bit. Seems we all do. I'd say the talent gap between him and Stamkos isn't actually all that big, though he's a winger and Stamkos is a centerman, which is a crucial distinction. (Ideally, your best player is not a winger.) He's a couple years older then Stamkos, for what it's worth.

Martin Hanzal is still My Guy. If not him, maybe Jordan Staal? Either one of these would be a serviceable 1C. Staal's contract is pretty massive, though. I don't know what either player would cost. I'd like to think it'd be, like, Tatar/Nyquist + Ouellet/Marchenko, but I dunno. Sheahan or Athanasiou might have to be in play. :confused:

Larkin may have to step into the 1C role straight-away. Athanasiou may have to ascend to the 2C role quickly. Things could get really dicey next season. Oof.

In terms of defensemen....

Try for Shattenkirk. If it costs Tatar or Nyquist, swallow the pill and pull the trigger; you'll feel better in the morning. As I've said, I'm not high on Fowler. Great skater, but that's about it. I fear he's our primary D target. As I've also said, I love Mattias Ekholm. I wonder if the Preds wouldn't take Tatar or Nyquist for him, as they're always looking for scoring depth. Granted, we should also be thinking about scoring depth, but Ekholm would give us a true two-way defenseman (like Dekeyser, but, arguably, better), someone who can suppress shots with the best of them but also drive possession and offense. Ryan Ellis is another "possible possibility," I guess.

No point giving up a nyquist for shattenkirk with only one season left , if we get him it should be next summer

Zero chance ekholm gets dealt , Ellis will be the one moved by the expansion draft

If we don't get anyone great we shouldn't handcuff ourselves with contracts , I know a lot of players will probably resign but as of today

2017 ufa list ... Hedman , burns , shattenkirk, Benn , oshie , Kulikov

2018 ufa list .... Tavares,Neal,Jvr, fowler,Vlasic,evander Kane, chara ,Nash

I can see us signing a eric staal to one year deal although I'm not sure that's the best course of action ... Maybe even a desperate move for a dman and give big money to a demers (who's a 4-5 dman) and a Russell

Think the best move is a trade

yakupov is available for cheap

nichushkin isn't happy and might be available ... Maybe we can get one at a good price and hope they turn it around in Detroit , what else we got going as options?

Duchene and eberle can be had , but don't know if we got what it would take

Jack Johnson can be someone we can have a shot with , with the jackets having cap issues and he's likely on the way out

Brodin might be available and would be a nice add ... I'd do a nyquist for brodin if possible and maybe sign a vanek to a one year deal and hope he can get us 25 goals

Maybe a Alex elder if we're desperate enough?

Anyways think the ufa class is weak and if we improve our team it'll be through trades and hopeful the kids pan out next season

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

I have an off the ball idea, would people be apposed to moving a roster guy now for a guy like Morin/hagg from the flyers, highly doubt we pull out a guy like Proverov, but we could take a cap dump for a short term and a good prospect and not have to deal goose or Tatar, deeoena our prospect pool and I feel we can deal with Philly

An offer sheet on kucherov does sound like a decent idea if we can be sure 1. He'll sign one at all, 2. We have the necessary draft picks, & 3. We can guarantee Tampa can't match.

Him and Larkin on the same line for the foreseeable future would be awesome.

Kucherov-Larkin-Abby/physical UFA

I like the look of that line a lot.

I would argue that adding a player like Okposo would make us a better team. Contenders, probably not, but better and then you add pieces as you go forward, but you don't ignore talent when it presents itself. A 28-year-old 60+ point player with size and a righty to boot, sign me up.

I've also been looking a little deeper into the FA market and what about a guy like McGinn? A gritty guy who just put up 23 goals and is 27 years old.

And just for clarity, I'm personally arguing for Staal or Backes on a short term contract for a more affordable cap hit instead of Nielsen at 5.5 for 5 years. I'd even consider Nielsen more, but only if we could get him for 3 years or less. The fact of the matter is that we need centers. If we can buy Larkin a little more time as well as keep Zetterberg on the wing, it'll benefit those players. But then that leaves Sheahan and Glendening as your natural wingers, so there, you need two wingers to fill those roles potentially.

The Wings don't have any first-line future stars in the minors. This is why Detroit relies on the over-ripe philosophy. Don't people get this by now? Their young players aren't new versions of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, or Datsyuk. They're Doug Browns, Slava Kozlovs, Kirk Maltbys, and other good but supporting players. Expecting every prospect to blossom into an all-star is folly.

I would argue that Svetchnikov has the potential to be a top-liner. Time will tell.

I would argue that Svetchnikov has the potential to be a top-liner. Time will tell.

I hope you're right!

Might not all be stars but some like athanasiou who was way better than most players in the lineup should of had more ice time and responsibilities and yet still barely played ... We've always relied on the veterans way too much , even when we shouldn't

And again all the prospects might not be star prospects but Your clearly over exaggerating yourself comparing them to Browns and maltbys ... Give me a break

Athanasiou mantha and svechnikov down the road have a good shot at being good top 6 guys given a good chance

"Helm with Hands" is going to be a 2C? How the expectations for the Wings have fallen.

I hope you're right!

"Helm with Hands" is going to be a 2C? How the expectations for the Wings have fallen.

If Darren Helm had hands he would definitely be a 2nd line player. AA absolutely could develop into a 2C - he's only been played half a year - he is going to get better.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

I would argue that adding a player like Okposo would make us a better team. Contenders, probably not, but better and then you add pieces as you go forward, but you don't ignore talent when it presents itself. A 28-year-old 60+ point player with size and a righty to boot, sign me up.

I've also been looking a little deeper into the FA market and what about a guy like McGinn? A gritty guy who just put up 23 goals and is 27 years old.

And just for clarity, I'm personally arguing for Staal or Backes on a short term contract for a more affordable cap hit instead of Nielsen at 5.5 for 5 years. I'd even consider Nielsen more, but only if we could get him for 3 years or less. The fact of the matter is that we need centers. If we can buy Larkin a little more time as well as keep Zetterberg on the wing, it'll benefit those players. But then that leaves Sheahan and Glendening as your natural wingers, so there, you need two wingers to fill those roles potentially.

I'm guessing you mean that it leaves those 2 as natural centers, not wingers. You're right about that. We need a top center. Hopefully we can get something.

An offer sheet on kucherov does sound like a decent idea if we can be sure 1. He'll sign one at all, 2. We have the necessary draft picks, & 3. We can guarantee Tampa can't match.

Him and Larkin on the same line for the foreseeable future would be awesome.

Kucherov-Larkin-Abby/physical UFA

I like the look of that line a lot.

Not that I wouldn't like Kucherov, but there are a few very good wingers on the free market now. Radulov, Okposo, Boedker. Unless Holland feels that he cannot sign at least one of them I'd rather make an offer sheet for Trouba.

My biggest fear this offseason is that we miss out on Shipachev and that Helm doesn't get a contract. As Holland doesn't like big trades he probably wouldn't trade for a Center and just spend all remaining Cap on resigning Helm longterm. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just can't see anybody signing Helm. And Holland absolutely would sign him even if nobody else would. He's done it with certain other players...same thing over and over again. I'm all for loyalty but sometimes it's just too much.

My biggest fear this offseason is that we miss out on Shipachev and that Helm doesn't get a contract. As Holland doesn't like big trades he probably wouldn't trade for a Center and just spend all remaining Cap on resigning Helm longterm. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just can't see anybody signing Helm. And Holland absolutely would sign him even if nobody else would. He's done it with certain other players...same thing over and over again. I'm all for loyalty but sometimes it's just too much.

For the numbers people could be throwing at Matt Martin, Helm will be def. Getting offers, he was one of our players with value. He won't be a wjng next season ans I have a feeling of Martin can get a 3.5-4, helm easily gets 4 aav

I'm with you guys, we still need forwards. We need defense, too, but without Stamkos I'm not sure we can afford to lose any scoring forwards like Tatar or Nyquist now. We need all hands on deck to keep te offense from getting worse.

The scariest part of losing out on Stamkos is what will Holland do with that cap space now. We have $18 mil in cap space, $22 mil once Franzen goes on LTIR again. That puts us below the cap floor. That's a lot of cap space, not a lot to spend it on. Mrazek and DeKeyser need signed. Best available center or not, I don't want Eric Staal. He wasn't very good in Carolina lately and was terrible in NY. Somebody will be stupid and overpay like Buffalo. Backes, Lucic, Okposo, Martin, etc. None of them excite me in the least. I would really hate to overpay for one of them to give us a tiny upgrade in some area.

Maybe we trade for Rick Nash. His cap hit is similar to Datsyuk's and his contract will expire at the same time Larkin's entry level one. He could be a good source of goals which we're desperate for at the moment. However, I have no idea what NYR is looking for in return. Is this a salary dump for them? Do they believe he's not worth the cost anymore? Is he a locker room problem? Are they trying to add depth?

Or do we use this money to bolster our defense? We have a lot of good young talent at forward, maybe we just run with that and build up our defense with dependable vets like Kris Russell or Luke Schenn or Brian Campbell.

The scariest part of losing out on Stamkos is what will Holland do with that cap space now. We have $18 mil in cap space, $22 mil once Franzen goes on LTIR again. That puts us below the cap floor. That's a lot of cap space, not a lot to spend it on. Mrazek and DeKeyser need signed. Best available center or not, I don't want Eric Staal. He wasn't very good in Carolina lately and was terrible in NY. Somebody will be stupid and overpay like Buffalo. Backes, Lucic, Okposo, Martin, etc. None of them excite me in the least. I would really hate to overpay for one of them to give us a tiny upgrade in some area.

Maybe we trade for Rick Nash. His cap hit is similar to Datsyuk's and his contract will expire at the same time Larkin's entry level one. He could be a good source of goals which we're desperate for at the moment. However, I have no idea what NYR is looking for in return. Is this a salary dump for them? Do they believe he's not worth the cost anymore? Is he a locker room problem? Are they trying to add depth?

Or do we use this money to bolster our defense? We have a lot of good young talent at forward, maybe we just run with that and build up our defense with dependable vets like Kris Russell or Luke Schenn or Brian Campbell.

I would rather trade for RNH then Nash, although I am not sure we have what Edmonton's looking for. Would like to see what Tyson Barrie is being shopped for also.

R2hBtegm.png

Offer sheets are a terrible idea in general, and Holland hasn't nor will he make an offer sheet on a player, plain and simple. There's zero chance he would offer sheet Kucherov, and piss off Yzerman...

With Stamkos gone, I'm really hoping we go after Backes on a short term (2-3 year) deal. We desperately need a number one center to fill in for a couple years while Larkin gets adjusted to the position at the NHL level. I think Backes is the best option available in free agency, and I'd prefer to hold onto our assets to make a trade on the back end, rather than up front.

Not going to be quite as exciting tomorrow with Stamkos off the board, but I'm still interested (afraid) in what Holland will do with all of this cap space, that he freed up...

Rad said he was staying put in Russia. Unless you think that was a ruse ...

His agent has recently denied that Radulov has signed with any team in Russia. Also no official statement from any team has surfaced. He's still out there I think.